ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
From the Caviing Diaries
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/15/2006, 6:24 pm    Post subject: From the Caviing Diaries Reply to topic Reply with quote

From the Caving Diary,

How precious is the light. Downclimbing a slippery, knobby slope, my headlamp fails and it is really, really dark. Amazing the sudden transformation, you lift your leg and put your foot down, your mind struggling to provide a poor memory of the surface you contact with. I stop, and say "I'm lights out". The caver in front of me and behind me immediately light my way. When we reach a semi horizontal area we stop, and I switch to my backup headlamp assembly, ready with batteries and all. Good practice as I use the Black Diamond Ion I wear around my neck like a necklace to illuminate my work. It's light is very poor in this jet blackness, I switch to a mini mag I hold in my teeth.

My small pack is heavy, I am carrying a lot of water. Amazing how much work 7 hours of almost nonstop climbing is, how much you sweat. My arm strength is constantly challenged, not really by the climbing, but swinging my pack up to some resting place, or shoving it ahead or dragging it behind, because of the contortions of the cave passage, and you are climbing a vertical crack with space above and below you, then you must transfer your weight to the wall and lift yourself up to a small crevice you will pass thru on your stomach at an angle. Your spine bends in all directions too. I have found my flexibility a plus, just wish I had about 4 inches more leg length. The taller cavers stretch blithely across from ledge to ledge, I am spread eagled and hoping for a safe landing.
One time I am stranded in a sort of amusing and alarming way, I wasn't paniced as I was with some very experienced cavers at the time. Sliding down between a wall and a totem pole, my trailing camera bag caught on a projection. Gravity took my body, then wedged my pack and made me slide a bit off center, then my helmet caught and my body weight was hanging from my chin strap; a slow version of strangling. Your neck is a strong thing. I was freed quickly.

Like backpacking, your learn what you need in your pack, and what suits you. The smaller the better for most of these caves. Handline is a plus, I made my own out of some 6mm and 7mm rope, a fig 8 for one end to secure it, then knots along the rope.
I carry 10 feet of webbing, and one biner, to make a sling if needed. That's it for regular caving unless truely vertical. I have one small webbed bag with all my vertical gear except for the harness. Rope has it's own bag. The poor camera I have in a tupperware like container, then in a waterproof roll down sack with a belt to attach to either my waist or the pack.
Still a work in progress.

We have a cave meeting at a local cave. Afterwards, we go caving. I go with a couple of experienced cavers I know, and some new people. Our leader is a guide at a show cave. We have a six year old along, as good a caver as anybody, except with short legs we take turns handing her over the marginal stuff. The cracks we stuff ourselves thru at odd angles, she just walks thru. It's like a jungle jim in here. The handholds and foot holds are bomber, and you just climb any which way. The cave is all contorted and sharp rock, not very pretty at times, and sucks in your light. Some surfaces are glazed with crystals, some the sharp and spikey aragonite. Fins that project ring with musical tones when they are tapped. We twist and turn so much I am sure I cannot find the way. At last we climb a rock fall to the largest room so far, we spread out and explore, looking at crystals on the walls formed from years of bat urine streaking down. This room smells unmistakably of bats, and a few are clustered here and there on the ceiling. The leader asks me to find the way out. I walk the breakdown at the rooms' edges, I feel cool air from one passage. That is the way. In less than 100 feet we are out, a different exit to our entrance.

Another day---- a new/old mix of people and away we go. A new cave for me. Muddy, poor hand and foot holds, glimpses of beauty. Fair sized rooms, crawling, multiple passages shoot off with no indication of beyond. We straddle the "crack of death", something that I don't like at all kicking in my fear of heights, with the poor footing. Supposedly someone dropped it and did not find bottom at 175 feet. We are not on rope or protected, and I have to suck it up with verbal support from the better climbers.
The crack goes on for 20 feet or so prolonging my agony. I make it. On we go. At a final very steep downclimb that we will reverse I give up and sit it out. It's the first time I have not gone "all the way", in a cave. My energy is flagging though and I think it wise not to hold up the others. I sit quietly, another joins me as it is not wise to split the group. He has been the way of the others, and we talk quietly in the dark, headlamps off. We go out a different way with some excellent slippery "tube" climbing. I really love the tight small spots. The cave at times is redwalled, at others gray colors with sparkly crystals which take on the color of your light.
There are several small pools with things growing under the super clear water. Fantasia, that is what my caving experience has been so far.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/18/2006, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! I could go on with a bunch of superlatives, but your narrative stands on its own.

I've only been in a couple of caves. I've heard that the organization you belong to is a bit secretive, although I knew someone who belonged to it, back when my kids were little and I didn't have much spare time away from them. I think I'd really have to get back into rock climbing first. I'd be way over my head in what you describe.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/18/2006, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Believe me, there is no "getting comfortable" with certain caves. One of the guys I was with this weekend fell a couple of years ago fracturing his elbow and hurting his back. He was able to climb out on his own. Another fell in another cave and still can't sit more than about an hour at a time. Fortunately in his job he doesn't have too.
I have the greatest respect for some of the situations I am in, try to get training when I can and go prepared for anything.

The NSS annual cave "accident" report comes out in June, can't wait to get my copy.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/18/2006, 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As always Letty, totally awesome.

I agree with azbackpacker,
Quote:

Wow! I could go on with a bunch of superlatives, but your narrative stands on its own.

Enjoyed your pics
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/19/2006, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw your album on this and it is most excellent. Spooky trip as usual in the underworlds. Not my cup of tea as I believe in your line, "How precious is the light". I like to read about it though.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tales of two surveys

Cavers like to map caves to get an overall view of the way a cave "behaves", usually with the assist of a geologist and/or hydrologist studying fault zones, limestone outcrops, etc. Caves can be multi-dimensional, tilted, passages stacked on top of each other, rooms have passages offshoots, sometimes very short. The walls, floor and ceiling undulate. Survey consists of mapping the rise and fall of the cave, directions via a light bar compass, and a certified sketcher will render details of formations in the passages and rooms.
A computer is used to sort the data, and produce a map that is 3-D in nature, using symbols and details universal to all cavers.

The cave we survey over two weekends is a multidimensional cave in a tilted block of limestone. You pretty much travel along the caves ceiling, looking down into pits, sometimes downclimbing and traveling lower for a while, then going back up. A lot of climbing, and sometimes rope work. The cave is beautiful and crammed full of formations big, small, wierd, majestic, and sublime. I can sit in one place in there and take 20 photos no problem. I work with two teams, the first weekend is a long day and some moderate terrain, we are resurveying some questionable points in some difficult passage, then lining up some shots for a high traverse that everyone will have to be suspended from rope along a high wall near the ceiling. We line up shots into a pit, a couple of people harness up and lean out on one wall to sight along a stalagmite for a long shot to the bottom of the pit. At the top of the pit is a small landing and we set up a small camp, complete with stove, tarp, freezedried food and candles. We take breaks after hauling in the heavy packs replete with vertical gear, lots of water as this is a warm humid cave and you sweat horrendously, the survey gear, and three 100+ foot ropes.
A cohort and I are shooting a shot at the top of the rappel into the pit. We stand right on the slippery edge of the chasm with 50 feet of air below us, we both are in harness and clipped into the rope as a safety. None of that Grand Canyon stuff, step back a little more for the right shot. After the shot we rappel down, some of the others climb down a long chimney using another rope as a handline. At times survey work is slow and you stand around a lot, or sit cramped up in uncomfortable positions as you look thru the compass or clinometer. I am slowly understanding the purpose of the work and what it means, and how it might help cavers in the future navigate the cave, note any changes, etc.
We call a halt after reshooting ten stations, 8 more to go and then the new stuff. Some discussion is given to coming back and overnighting in the cave to spend two full days of work and doing it right, and finishing. We are all excited about that, I would love to stay in the cave as a modified "backpack" trip. It would be a bear to carry more weight back in here but we discuss pullys and haul systems and decide it can be done.
I get to try out my ascending set up out of the pit. It's a modified "inch worm", I need to attach a bungee to the bottom ascender so I don't have to manually pull it up but it went well. The wall had some free hanging aspects and some against the wall moves which are challenging when the rope is on the rock and you are trying to move a mechanical device up with your body weight on it. Good training and some problem solving. I felt very secure in my set up. One of these days I'll feel secure enough to try some photos while on rope. But not just yet.

Survey part 2--- A beautiful day, we climb/crawl into the dark, turning our back on the sunlit vistas. To another part of the cave to be mapped; a "false" cathedral room, hidden in a small crawlway off the main passage. It is still amazing to me to crawl through a tiny hole, so tight you must turn your head sideways, maybe even put one arm above your head and wriggle, then you ungracefully flop out into a huge room. We rigged two handlines due to the slippery sloping floor. A couple of us took fast butt slide to the bottom, our boots digging into ancient bat quano covered with dirt. The room has secrets. We start measuring and mapping. Once we climb up to a crumbly ledge we go into yet another room, wonderful formations, reminescent of what is called a "boneyard". Several small "windows" off this room are two tight for a human to fit through. It is cooler up here though, and we think we feel air movement. Out comes the incense and we place several lit sticks in the windows. The drift of the smoke tells if there is any pattern to the air movement. Big caves "breathe", the air cycles in and out, sometimes in a blowing manner, sometimes almost impercetibly. Also air movement up a passage can indicate more cave, perhaps unable to be accessed at this time. Some cavers will "dig" especially if through dirt or rock and no harm to formations, to enlarge a passage to see what is beyond. Some digs are very elaborate affairs, with passage way shoring such as is done in construction. Most are just hand tools, and large enough for someone to crawl through.
The air is moving, the smoke drifts steadily toward us. We give that some thought. I flatten myself to the floor and slide as far as I can into a window. Delicate formations are near and I cannot raise my head without damaging them. I look down the passage, a smooth flowstone floor extends out of sight about 8 feet in length, then curves. I long to make myself more insubstantial to follow that lead. Caves can still be the unknown, where no one has been before.
We finish up, climb out, and continue along the main loop passage to get out. Today I lead along the loop, I have been here several times, ahead of the others, only waiting for when there is a chancy climb that I need spotting on. I am able to kick back and take a few photos along the way, where normally we are rushing through. The cave has other passages too, and I want to see them all.
We come out to light, usually its dark and a fun hike on the little trail back to the cars. We are muddy, and everyone has rips in their pants, so we have underwear inspection. Some cavers sew leather padding into the seats of their pants. May have to do that soon. We discuss a "sewing" party for gear and clothes as someone's house, it gets everyones' approval.
Of course we haven't had enough, so check out some nearby smaller caves unknown to some of us. One of the caves is a "tube" leading to a large room. We decide to go out with headlamps off, crawling along the passage way using our hands and senses to get us out. It is really interesting in the absolute blackness. We wear gloves because scorpions have been seen near the entrance. There is only one way so you can't get lost, but the twists and bends are confusing. Out again to a darkening sky, we mosey back to the vehicles, change, then go to a steak house to celebrate a successful day, and plot the next move. I have spent a lot of time underground recently, and miss my above ground hiking. I will return to that soon.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The photography is simply beautiful and amazing. What worlds lie beneath.........
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool, beyond my realm of comprehension though, don't think I could spend more than an hour or so down there at a time.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could hang out with you guys. I think it's all great.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like your saying there - "You can rest when you're dead." You sure live true to that one.
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, you are amazing! Loved going on the Camino Diablo wheeling adventure with you as our above ground guide.....but you couldn't get me down in those caves, with their tight fits, with a gun pointed at my head......they'd have to invent a word beyond "panic" so thanks for the virtual tour while I sit in the Hoolimobile here in Mexico! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/24/2006, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Survey trip # 2000 --it seems----as the cave still reveals passage way to us. My goodness lots of folks in today, three survey teams, and three veteran cavers "sightseeing". Seems I am now official rope tester, anytime rope is set I seem to end up the first on it. The cavers joke "yeah, women and kids first".
Lots of high climbing today, lots of exposure. We don't go far in but are covering passageways that come off a main route, high passages that climb and twist in the cave. Promises, promises. We find a tall wonderful flowstone that glows with crystals. I don't take many photos as this is a work trip. Line up the measuring tape, locate stations, take fore and back shots with compass and clinometer. I spend a lot of time with one foot on a slope, my hip against a wall, the other foot tucked under and lovely deep space falling beneath me. It's fun as the second survey team ends up about 40 feet underneath us and we tie our route into theirs.
A tight crawlway reveals the "bottom dropping out", my 150 foot rope is at another location being used so we are unable to pursue the lead at this time. This part of the cave is not so beautiful, but interesting because of the challenge of the climbing.
Crawling the "lizard belly" is a tough one again for me. Supposedly unable to "safety" the traverse. I locate a crack in the ceiling housing several fist sized wedged rocks and run handline around these. My rope isn't long enough so I am belayed. The crawl isn't bad, but is you slip its 50 feet with no way to stop yourself. Trial by fire in here, nothing is easy but the reward is great.

With all the contortions I need to work on a serious stretching program. The folks I am with today I have caved with before, so we have a comfortable fit, its' nice, to sit quietly or talk as we feel we need to. Everyone knows their business and we work together unhurriedly, but steadily. I forget to eat and start to feel it as I slow down.

We wrap up with all groups coming together and we climb out, pass packs, hike the hill and group up at the cars. A few brews, discuss how many feet of passage was added today, and how the sketching turned out. Discuss future plans, other caves, a fourth of July party, and the day is done. I have been in this cave several times and have yet to tire of it, the dark maze, another world.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/9/2006, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nearly one year ago I made my first trip underground to a "wild" cave. Met some new people, got involved in caving in a more organized way, and the new adventures in my life began. How time flies. How the learning curve steepens, and begs for more.

More survey work. The team is small and becoming experienced, we are led by a very experienced caver and top notch climber.
I bring someone along who I think will mesh well with this twilight zone trip; I am glad I am right in my instinct.

Trips become more challenging, more climbing, more rope work, tight traverses and a question of how many cavers can you perch on a little ledge. Like the old saw "how many angels on the head of a pin???". Not sure the angels part applys. We enter the cave and make our way to a difficult traverse to survey off a pit. Rope runs every which way, but always safety is number one. We have a small difficulty when a thrown rope wedges in a couple of rocks and have to downclimb to get it.
Something stimulating about walking along a wall with a small piece of metal securing you to a rope, and looking down to darkness, undulating walls and an upside down world where nothing is square, level or smooth.

My poor climbing skills are slowly coming along, learning to climb with my elbows, butt, hips, in addition to fingers and legs. My upper body strength is becoming more efficient in the climbs. One area you wrap your hands about a formation and keep elbows flexed with biceps tight as you swing your body around a sloping wall which pulls you downward. If straighten out no footholds and not too many people able to pull themselves up. A formerly terrifying climb is easier for me, the guys are close at hand but I move with more confidence. Other places I climb with my guardian angel nearby, patient and encouraging.
The bottoms of boots slicked with mud, so jamming and wedging is essential.
As always, the beauty of the cave is there, sometimes hard to absorb with the intense physical activity. One good thing about survey work is you get to study your immediate surroundings, and enjoy the small intricacies in front of your light. Small hairlike projections grow off a tiny helectite. Weird formations resembling animals and people. Formations resembling nothing known of this earth. The amazing textures and colors. The blending of light and the edge of dark. Fascination doesn't begin to describe what this world holds for me. TIme passes on it's own dime in here. We get out to daylight, but the moon is our accompanying light by the time we are at the vehicles.
Post mortem on the trip is pleasant and good company. I cannot really describe with my words how it really is in there, I just know it is a new facet for me that partly I crave and partly terrifies me, in a good way. Just like life, I suppose.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/9/2006, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool Letty! Happy caving anniversary. I enjoy your write-up but think I will be staying out of caves for a while. I would hate to get hooked on another hobby I don't have time for!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 7/10/2006, 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was very fortunate to be a special guest on this survey expedition as was welcomed with open arms.

This was a totally new experience for me and tested me to my full potential, I did things on ropes I could have never imagined let alone done before. I love a challenge and this was indeed a challenging journey not a simple jaunt.

There were a couple of times when we were off harness making what Letty describes as a terrifying climb that I was extremely nervous, but thanks to words of encouragement all turned out well, as one works there way down the crevasse using a body wedge technique. Then there was the vertical climb on harness that was equally thrilling, Heck the whole day was awesome, thrilling and full of adventure. I couldn't have asked for more.

I got to enter a world totally foreign to me and see formations that boggled my mind. Crawled on my belly like a snake through passages barely big enough to squeeze through, then stood in rooms like open cathedrals. Descending down into deep pits, perched on the side of vertical wall with just a couple of inches to stand on.

It is indeed hard to describe, I'm most grateful for the opportunity, I enjoyed myself beyond words and of course the company was indeed awesome.

Thanks again Letty, for this is an experience I will never forget and look back on often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: