ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Big Wall Class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 8:41 am    Post subject: Big Wall Class Reply to topic Reply with quote

I REALLY NEED to do this class and I would really love to have someone do it with me. Laughing
I know the instructor, he's great. Come on, let's play!

I'm open Oct 3-4 or Oct 17-18
Anyone????
Zarff

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,
I have already signed up for the AMC Climbing class.
The fist climbing weekend of class is Oct 17-18.

This kinda sounds like the AMC class should come first.
Is some skill / knowledge and gear expected to do this one?

I'm only kinda open on Oct 3-4.
Otherwize I would love to go.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Only $195 a person. Is that a good deal Question

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ron has said basic climbing knowledge, training and gear IS necessary. If you've had the AMC class you would be prepared enough to take this class.....of course the desire to do this sort of thing is important, too.

Here's the last email I got from him about this---

<<Hi Susan, Yes good meeting you too. I'm glad to hear everyone got out without a weather epic. Of course you can climb a bigwall! The reason most people go through their climbing careers not climbing one, is because they don't underestand what is involved. As far as the class goes, we don't free climb anything. You learn how to Aid climb "on a top rope". A common misconception is that in the class we will do stuff that is hard or scary. Not at all. We go through everything from loading a haulbag, to setting up a portaledge. All of the exercises we do will be a totally new concept to most people. I have never had a person in a class that couldn't do an exercise. Wall climbing is very mechanical, and you just need to know those mechanics. Once you have done a wall, everything in life will feel like second gear. I have done more than 75 walls in the past 20 years, 13 being First ascents. I'm always looking to the next one with anticipation. You will get up a wall! Like "Joe Dirt" says. "You cant have NO in your heart, you gotta keep on keepin on, life's a garden, Dig it!>>

Yes, I do think 195 is a decent price(however I didn't even know there were classes until he sent me an email)...unless of course you have a friend that could teach you for free. Rolling Eyes Ron is also helping me with some camera/rigging/video taping while on the rope.

Checking Prices
This class says 250 for one day.....not 2.
http://www.newhampshireclimbing.com/climbing-instruction-costs.asp
This one is 2 days for 295
http://vertical-adventures.com/courses/

This is just another one of those things I'm dreaming about doing.

Oh, good Dan, glad you are already signed up...that's great! It's a pile of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: