ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Singletrack Murray Basin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/9/2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Singletrack Murray Basin Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rode Murray Basin today. Sometimes the FS does something right. In this case, they have pretty much ignored the Murray Basin trail system, which is in Eagar, and this is a good thing! They built some of it with a mini-bulldozer. But that was 9 years ago or so. They "maintained" it with the little dozer a few times after that, but then they quit doing that, (budget? lack of interest?) so now we have some sweet singletrack to ride! There's an 8-mile loop, intermediate level or so, and some steeper stuff up Flat Top way. I rode some of the loop, and back through a cutover trail and back on the main trail again today. Started and ended at my house, so I got 16 miles on the odometer, with about 9 or 10 of that on the trails. Started at the Saffell trailhead, ended at the Hwy 180 TH.

Unusual for this time of year, but it's very dry out there in that area. It's pinon-juniper-grassland. Up higher on the mtn. it's very green right now, but here at 7,000 it has started to dry up. In the past we had a mtn. bike festival here the third weekend in August (last one was in '05). It was fun, I sure miss it. High point of the year around here for me. So anyway, I do remember it being very green and flowery even in Murray Basin in August. But the monsoons have slowed down a lot and we've had a lot of heat, so I guess that was it for the flowers over there. There are a few in the washes and stock tanks, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: