ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Is the down turn affecting your hiking ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the down turn affecting your hiking ?
Not much -- I still get out when I want
72%
 72%  [ 42 ]
Some -- I think twice before I head out
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Significantly -- I look for low cost / no cost / near options
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Major -- I am not getting out much
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 58

desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/14/2009, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Is the down turn affecting your hiking ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well -- I am thinking twice before taking a long road-trip ... what about you ?

and I wanted to post a new poll -- I got tired of seeing the Groom Creek Poll.... Very Happy Confused
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have taken to road biking out my front door plus nearby dayhikes. Goals for the summer, if I can ever get a day off, are a 20 mile dayhike and a 100 mile bike ride. Plus, more mtn. biking, if I can find the time. We will probably take the kayak out sometime soon, too. I have no backpacking plans, partly to do with my variable work schedule, and family reasons, also. I could go backpacking starting about 5 min. from here, but haven't done it. The furthest distance I have been from home since school let out is Big Lake. I haven't even been over to Show Low!

My outdoors job at the fancy guest ranch has slowed down a lot due to the economy. There are very few guests now that the 4th is over with. I'm glad I have a second job to fall back on!
randy883

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess we needed a new poll. I still go on just as many road trips as ever; nothing has changed for me.
Deborah

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sabino, Mt. Lemmon, and lots of beautiful bushwhacks are right out my backdoor!
Went to Sedona this year for a couple of days and stayed in a nice time share with friends, camped up in Clear Creek, Heading to Alberta for a week, cheap plane ticket, and then either Flagstaff or the White Mountains before school starts Aug. 10.
I have a fulfilling job, so I love what I am doing and hike on the weekends!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just have been staying in Arizona, and I carpool to share the cost!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Getting ready to drive about 1000 miles to backpack in the Winds, maybe kayak some on the Great Salt Lake on the way back. So no, not much has changed for me.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 7/17/2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Getting ready to drive about 1000 miles to backpack in the Winds, maybe kayak some on the Great Salt Lake on the way back. So no, not much has changed for me.
Letty, I'm still using photos from your last trip to the Winds as desktops! Can't wait to see what you bring back this time!

Decided to take the opportunity to build a home in Alpine, so lots of trips up there...
Nativehiker

PostPosted: 7/18/2009, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi I'm the newest member.. Veronica. Well I 'm lucky to live in Tucson and a 20 min drive gets me to the Tucson Mts. or Sabino Canyon...so I can still hike once a week.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/18/2009, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome!
windymesa

PostPosted: 7/21/2009, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No affect.

p.s. hey Red.. could I catch a ride with you to the Winds.. drop me off at the Little Sandy entrance? I'm short of gas money.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 7/21/2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't have money before, don't have money now, so it's really just life as per usual for me... Cool

Kerouac
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/22/2009, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
Didn't have money before, don't have money now, so it's really just life as per usual for me... Cool

I can relate to that. Only difference is I'm 59 with 2 kids still @ home. Gettin my gear at the dollar store now. It cost me $138 to register my daughter @ Cactus High yesterday. Seems like that's what I paid my first semester @ NAU.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/22/2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't believe they do that to parents. That just makes my blood boil. I saw it time and again when my kids were in high school. I had 3 in HS at the same time. My kids worked part-time jobs to pay for stuff they wanted, and to buy clothes. We struggled to pay fees for band and other activities because we believed they were good for our kids. We never did buy annuals (yearbooks) or school photos or a lot of other things because they were too expensive. It is like they think parents have this bottomless well of money. It's disgusting. Yearbooks are approaching $100 in some schools. It's absolutely repulsive.

The kids whose parents can't come up with these fees, what about them? What about the family who must choose between keeping the electricity on in August or paying some stupid school fees? Do their kids have to miss out on band and sports and drama and all the other extra programs? $138 is about half what a person making minimum wage earns in a 40 hour week.

I'll tell you what happens to them. They feel left out, they get left out, they get left behind, and they drop out, thus perpetuating the poverty.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/22/2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sarah is also a cheerleader and that cost me about $1200 last year (that's less than quite a few schools around the state) and quite a bit so far this year. Some very generous folks put their Arizona tax obligation towards her Cheer Camp this last week and that saved me about $400. I would most assuredly have a hard time saying no to her so I have to curtail some activities of my own. She also starts driving this month, can't wait for that insurance.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, boy!

Well, no regrets, and now I have a granddaughter, but I am glad to be an "empty nester."

What was this topic, anyway? Oh, the economy and hiking. Gee, we could wax eloquent about the joys of backpacking and how it is really an inexpensive pastime. If you have the gear all you need is a little food and gas.

Of course, if you are having to work 7 days a week, as I did earlier this summer, I don't know where you will find the time! Hence, my road bike...

Yesterday my husband and I rode our mtn. bikes out the front door (we keep all our bikes in the living room so they are convenient when we need them Razz ) and rode up Eagar Main St. to Water Canyon Road, and up Water Canyon to the lower trailhead for the Overland Trail, and up the Overland Trail a short distance. I managed to make it up one of the really STEEP switchbacks, while he waited, just to see if I could do it. Now I need someone to go with me to see if I can ride them all. It is pretty rocky and dicey and steep, so going alone there wouldn't be wise for me. Anyway, we got in 10 miles and it was fun and we used no gas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: