ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Where are the Rattlesnake Hunters when you need them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 9:49 am    Post subject: Where are the Rattlesnake Hunters when you need them? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sadie and I are both fricken freaked........and haven't calmed down yet.

I was outside working in the yard early this morning. (250 tons of mesquite beans---possibly a good food source for mice!) Sadie went flying in the doggie door like a bat outta-you-know-where! She stood half way down the hall looking pretty high strung. I didn't think much of it, rounded the corner, headed inside for gloves.....and I saw what I thought was a LOOOOONG dog poop....except it had a rattle attached to it. Slowly it slithered across the yard. It couldn't move fast because it was FULL! Then it hid out in the Turtle's lantana bush. I'm not a happy camper.........I may have to move.

Thankfully my local fire department is a "full service" fire department. They came.......seemed like it took forever.......Sadie and I barricaded ourselves in the house. I'm still jumpy. Seen them in the wild lots of times but in my own backyard seems like such and invasion of privacy!

Now I'm searching for the point of entry. I sort of wonder if I should block off what I've seen...what if there are MORE in my backyard, then they'll be trapped here with me...........aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I need a rattlesnake hunter.

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pic's won't load?

I felt the same way when I saw the first one in my yard, didn't know who to call first--police, fire, realtor? Police told me to call the AZ Herpitological (SP?) Society, but don't forget to tip them generously.

But then there were so many I started just chasing them out with the pool pole, they knew which hole to go out.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geez! You've had that many? I linked them probably from a link you can't get at work. I'll fix that.

Thankfully Mr. Nighthiker has thoughtfully warned me repeatedly. (almost like firedrill practice at school) I knew that the fire department out here is full service and does snake removal. I don't think they do that everywhere. My father was gathering up his stuff to come help. Aren't Dad's awesome Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, I think you got the snake to come into your yard on purpose just so you could get those two hunky guys to show up in your yard! Mr. Green
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Suz, I think you got the snake to come into your yard on purpose just so you could get those two hunky guys to show up in your yard! Mr. Green

LOL I was thinking the same thing! Too funny!
Suz

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh I have to believe I would select something less fricken scary than this if that was my purpose....funny though!

The questions is Mohave or Diamondback?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Need a close up of the face to note the facial stripes, looks like A-Shift though.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/14/2009, 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looking at the tail, I think you had a Diamondback. Here's a guide. A closeup of the head would make it easier to be sure.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/14/2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

John, yes----probably A shift...it was early.
George I think you're right.......call me crazy but I'd much rather it was a Western Diamondback.

I've been awake all night thinking about how it got in and how long it had been back there. How I missed it so many times while walking in and out that morning. The decent hole under the concrete slab that holds the hot tub heater that I think the turtles made and why they don't go in there now, all the lantana bushes in my backyard that need to be trimmed.......the mouse poop by the front door..........that isn't there now.........pretty much wondering if that snake was pregnant.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 7/14/2009, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would have made a great meal for yourself. Wink

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/14/2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They say it tastes like chicken.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a book by a Scotsman who backpacked around the coastline of Baja. He had visited there but never before backpacked. His diet when he was low on food was killing and cooking rattlers and eating pitaya cactus fruits, fishing. He considered the snakes a delicacy. And he used a solar still and another set up for desalinating sea water.
I'll look for the book, it is quite an entertaining read.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had rattlesnake at Rustler's Roost years ago. They overcooked it and it had too much batter but otherwise it was good. The taste reminded me more of frog than chicken. Wink
lzyboy

PostPosted: 7/17/2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I had rattlesnake at Rustler's Roost years ago. They overcooked it and it had too much batter but otherwise it was good. The taste reminded me more of frog than chicken. Wink
Frogs, right, they taste like chicken … marinated in mud... However, wild-caught frogs have much more flavor than chicken (or farmed frogs), reminiscent of young alligator tail fillet. Serve them lightly battered and sautéed in garlic butter, with some parsley and white wine added at the end, about two bottles!! Or maybe you should have the wine first. Laughing
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/18/2009, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lzyboy wrote:
azhiker96 wrote:
Frogs, right, they taste like chicken … marinated in mud... However, wild-caught frogs have much more flavor than chicken (or farmed frogs), reminiscent of young alligator tail fillet. Serve them lightly battered and sautéed in garlic butter, with some parsley and white wine added at the end, about two bottles!! Or maybe you should have the wine first. Laughing

My shoes would taste good battered and sauteed in garlic and butter . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: