ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gila Wilderness 09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/5/2009, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Gila Wilderness 09 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Repeated a lasso hike from several years back, this time with Shawn. I love the Bursum TH as it leads through beautiful forest to Redstone Park, one of my favorite places in the Gila. The whitewater creek flows over red stone and makes wonderful waterfalls and pools. We went up the creek along the overgrown trail, then to many switchbacks. Rain started falling but stopped briefly in time for us to set up our tents under huge pines and spruce at Hummingbird Saddle. It rained some more, so dinner was inside, but cleared out for a nice evening and dried out some overnight.
Next day continue on the Crest trail, at a little over 10K, until we took the Apache Holt trail, heading on over to Spruce Creek Saddle. Some nice views on this trail. We stopped over to inspect the Apache Fire cabin, very neat and clean compared to my other stop overs. We continued on, seeing lots of flowers and greenery everywhere. The springs we encountered were all flowing.
Out of Spruce Creek Saddle the trail back to Redstone Park took some finding, but soon became defined. Low use however; and we had plenty of treefall to negotiate. It became very steep, Shawn said even the trails in the Grand Canyon were not as steep as this one. We were soon back to Redstone Park, very early. I wanted to take pictures at the creek, and Shawn kindly agreed to camp there. Our clear weather changed and we had a whopping thunderstorm dump heavy rain on us for about an hour, with nearby lightning etc.
The next day a short lovely walk out, and breakfast at the cafe in Mogollon.
Great trip once again in a special wilderness I love to visit.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/5/2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have a week long camping trip coming up, was thinking more like wishfull thinking a trip to the area. I have to return for half a day so I opted for the Mogollon Rim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: