ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Basset Peak / Ash Creek -- Arizona Fall Color Nov 6-8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(3) (6) (3)
User
sbkelley
Randal Schulhauser
outside1
User
oliverr99
tibber
CyclingNurse
jessica
desertgirl
randy883
User
Wreckchaser
billj
kathyj2100
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Basset Peak / Ash Creek -- Arizona Fall Color Nov 6-8 Reply with quote

Experience the AZ fall & Bag a Peak!

Ash Creek has the most incredible fall colors! So How about a campout to experience fall color and bag Bassett Peak.

Images (c) Matt Hoffman

Letty's Albums:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvj00&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvc84&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvm55&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

Basset Peak from TH is a 12 mile RT with 2650 ft eleveation gain -- anticipating 6-8hrs on the trail. With the short days of fall -- it will be an early departure.
Option for those that want to enjoy some stunning fall color at an easy pace: 1st 3 miles is mosltly flat and has great fall color.

We will camp some where in the vicinity ..... Plan is for dispersed camping along the road to TH. Hope to catch you there!

More info : http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=252

sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, how about this...If there are folks who want to hike the peak, I'm considering leaving earlier on Saturday morning, arriving in time to summit and return with daylight to spare. That way, we can spend time that afternoon on the way down and/or Sunday morning cruising up Ash Creek to enjoy the colors and take pictures.

This way, there are two waves of people going down if the late Saturday morning wave doesn't work for someone. Also, those who want a more strenuous hike can come with me, and we could get home earlier on Sunday (Tony, I agree w/ you about wanting to be home before 5)

The other good part about this? I'd leave my car as far in as I could, and it would be a landmark to arriving AZHers who come up later with Suz, Ambika, and Randy. Then we could at least put our camps as close together as possible. My car's hard to miss: the old gold station wagon with a ratty bike rack on the roof...
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Angela, coming down there via Globe/Safford may be a little shorter in miles, but is going to take longer in time than coming in via I-10 to Tucson/Willcox. Not to mention that the other way involves more miles on rough dirt roads.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Angela--happy to meet and drive together from the Gold Canyon area (maybe that Bashas @ US60 & Superstition Mountain Drive--coffee & food there) but was going to let Ambika double check my drive calculations. Keep me in your loop.

Scott--we would certainly find your car but that might not equal camping space for 11+ people, right? How early are you thinking you want to leave on Saturday?

I'd like to do the Peak but honestly think I'll be distracted by the beautiful colors and will be slowed to a picture taking pace.

Looks like the temps will be low to mid 70's in the day and low 40's at night.
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't go due to class obligations. Next year I will be done at this time and hope to see this hike posted.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

randy883 wrote:
Angela, coming down there via Globe/Safford may be a little shorter in miles, but is going to take longer in time than coming in via I-10 to Tucson/Willcox. Not to mention that the other way involves more miles on rough dirt roads.

This is what I found - Directions to trail: From Phoenix: Hwy 60 east to Hwy 70 east to Safford. In Safford take Hwy 191 south to Hwy 266. Turn left on 266 and go west approx 20 miles to Bonita. In Bonita turn left (south) on Ft Grant Road and follow to FR651 (Sunset Loop). Turn right (west) onto FR651 and follow approx 10 miles to FR660. Turn left on FR660 and follow 2 miles or so to trailhead. Those in cars might want to park at the first gate they come to as the road gets rockier after that. It'll add an extra mile each way onto you hike though.

So it looks like only 10-12 miles would be rough dirt roads.... I just don't know how rough. Wendy had suggested this route as well.

Could there be two different sides of the Peak that fit these driving directions? Confused

So it looks like only 10-12 miles would be rough dirt roads.... I just don't know how rough. Wendy had suggested this route as well. However, if you're only talking 1/2 hour to 45 minutes in time savings, perhaps coming via Tucson/Benson/Willcox would be just fine too; especially for wear and tear on the vehicles...
rayhiker

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi again, just realized that people are mostly arriving Saturday with the big hike on Sunday. Looks like I'll need to make another plan since I would be able to go on Friday but must return home Saturday night...
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The way you describe gives about the same amount of dirt road driving as coming by way of Tucson. If you were to cut off before Safford and head to the Klondyke area to save miles, then you really would have a lot more dirt road, and I definitely would not recommend that. I guess it is a matter of preference. Going through Globe and Safford will take as much, if not more time than doing the I-10 thing however.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
Could there be two different sides of the Peak that fit these driving directions? Confused

Nope, the other side of Basset Peak is Jackson Cabin, you don't want to drive there.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok I am a little confused, but maybe Angela will clarify for me. Is the plan to go up on Friday and hike on Saturday, or go up on Saturday and do some hiking in the afternoon on Saturday and a little bit on Sunday then head home? Just not sure what is the plan for this. Let me know, thanks!!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can get up to 60 mph on those dirt roads in the valley in a stock Jeep Cherokee, but only if you know where the dog legs are-- Twisted Evil
Depends on where you are in Phoenix. There is construction near Globe. At Safford you could head south on191 then cross over on the road that is paved on the southern end of the Pinalenos--- end up at Bonita-- where it shortly turns to dirt.

Camp areas---once out of the hunter meadow you'll probably need at least high clearance. Informal camp areas with some size to them are few near the TH. Right at the forest gate I saw about 5-6 vehicles in a camp area with tents etc, then there area many small places scattered along the drive. The road is in good shape just a little rocky toward the end. TH parking is tight so I suggest park at the last wide spot before it crosses the rockier wash and add a hundred or so yards to your walk.

Peak baggers will want a good part of the day, especially if you want to take any photos.
No water or services. Lower Ash spring has been improved, but is not handy for car campers.
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks RdRoxx44!
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tibber,

Make it easy on yourself. Just meet up with Ambika and drive down to Tucson and join up with me for a stress-free drive in. I have been there many times. We can stop at the Safeway in Willcox and get any last minute supplies.

This advice is especially pertinent to those who are unfamiliar with the area.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, and it's not marked where you turn off, no forest road signs. There is ranch house very near the road on a curve, the signs say Ash Creek/Sunset loop ( street signs) there is a cattle guard in the fence here turn there. You will see a wooden post with a forest service sign on it.
Drive thru the meadow on the low grade two track and see all the hunters and RV's etc. When you enter the trees in a little while a low grade track takes off to your right---this goes to the TH. There is a nice shaded good sized campspot at the split, which is usually taken.
Follow this narrow brushy and rocky track to the TH, pass thru one gate and please close it.
randy883

PostPosted: 11/3/2009, 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's the latest weather forecast for where we'll be camping:

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 42.
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 72.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 41.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 68.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/3/2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok Randy.

I think since I've not been to the area (even though Letty is giving us more precise directions), a stress-free drive the first time out sounds like the way to go. Anne and I will meet up with you in Tucson then? Have you picked a time and place?

And I'm always good with stopping at Safeway in Willcox. The last time we were there though, the ice machine was broken and they didn't have firewood. Will we be allowed to have a fire?

Guess I gotta unpack my camping gear....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: