ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Basset Peak / Ash Creek -- Arizona Fall Color Nov 6-8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(3) (6) (3)
User
sbkelley
Randal Schulhauser
outside1
User
oliverr99
tibber
CyclingNurse
jessica
desertgirl
randy883
User
Wreckchaser
billj
kathyj2100
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Basset Peak / Ash Creek -- Arizona Fall Color Nov 6-8 Reply with quote

Experience the AZ fall & Bag a Peak!

Ash Creek has the most incredible fall colors! So How about a campout to experience fall color and bag Bassett Peak.

Images (c) Matt Hoffman

Letty's Albums:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvj00&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvc84&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvm55&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

Basset Peak from TH is a 12 mile RT with 2650 ft eleveation gain -- anticipating 6-8hrs on the trail. With the short days of fall -- it will be an early departure.
Option for those that want to enjoy some stunning fall color at an easy pace: 1st 3 miles is mosltly flat and has great fall color.

We will camp some where in the vicinity ..... Plan is for dispersed camping along the road to TH. Hope to catch you there!

More info : http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=252

rayhiker

PostPosted: 10/30/2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like I will be taking my parents to Animas, NM for a funeral on Friday. They can drop me off in Willcox on the way back. It would be great if I could meet up with someone in Willcox headed to the campout on Friday evening to hitch a ride to the campout. Then I would also appreciate a ride back to Phoenix or just back to Willcox on Saturday evening. Do either of these requests work with anyone's schedule?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/30/2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am sure a ride back will be no issue ....
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from Ash Creek Sat and South Fork today. Ash Creek should still have color but it's spotty and rather mediocre from past years. Go off trail to find the best displays. However, Aspen have not turned yet to that may be for this upcoming weekend. South Fork is still about 1-2 weeks away, a few maples here and there. Probably with the dry spring and non monsoon has weakened the color display. Still worth the trip tho----but not what this canyon can do when it's optimal.

Nice to meet Derek Von Breisen ( sp??) along the way in Ash Creek.

I will try to make it Sat, but I'll just head up to the grove and back.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty - Thanks for the info ....

Ok -- Here's what some of us will be doing --

Plans to meet up with Randy in Tucson on Sat mid morning (between 9-10 am) and then heading in & camping somewhere near the TH. If you want to join in pl. post here. Else -- You can find dispersed camping along the road to TH. I will not be co-ordinating a large campout since getting an acceptable site for large # of people will be difficult. Expect to see the meadow spots taken up by the hunter camps.

Randy -- Can you please post a meet up spot along the way in Tucson area?
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I mapquest this (and it is possible that I've done it wrong)
It shows 5 hours-13 minutes from your house in chandler(ambika), to tucson, to the trail area.
From my house in Gold canyon it shows 3 hours and 30-ish minutes.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Letty - Thanks for the info ....

Ok -- Here's what some of us will be doing --

Plans to meet up with Randy in Tucson on Sat mid morning (between 9-10 am) and then heading in & camping somewhere near the TH.

So when do you plan to start hiking? I think Anne and I will be staying in Safford for the camping part....
Letty's pics look awesome. I hope some of that color will stick around for us. I know the temps are going to be warm this week up here. I presume it will be so at Ash Creek too.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are we planning on doing the actual hike on Sunday, or on Saturday afternoon when everyone arrives? I'll look for you guys on Saturday night either way.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
When I mapquest this (and it is possible that I've done it wrong)
It shows 5 hours-13 minutes from your house in chandler(ambika), to tucson, to the trail area.
From my house in Gold canyon it shows 3 hours and 30-ish minutes.

Let me check tonight.
rayhiker

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last year I got to the trailhead in about 4 hours from my house in Chandler near 101 and 202 intersection, going thru Tucson and Willcox.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We discussed getting some evening shots on Saturday but doing the main hiking on Sunday.
outside1

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK I was looking at this as a full weekend thing, with people arriving on Friday the 6th and hiking on Saturday 7th then home on Sunday as needed. With the way things look now with the 12 mile hike happening on Sunday and a 4 to 5+hour drive home after that, am may going to switch my status to a maybe for the trip. I would prefer to get home Sunday before 5PM and I think that will be a bit of a challenge with the way things are working out. Plus it looks like we are taking out the best part of a AZH group hike the pot luck dinner, personally that in itself is reason to go on these hikes.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tony -- Scot is planning on the Peak so please get with him to set up the peak hike. I will be doing this as a photohike. If the peakbaggers want to make this a Sat hike so that it works better for you folks - go ahead.

I will be there Saturday mid day & hike the 1st few miles with my camera pack (30 lbs or so ) so peakbagging is not on my agenda. Depending on color I will see if I want to shoot more on Sunday or see if I can get up at least to the ridge....

Without a big camp spot for the gang -- potluck will be diffcult to set up. I am not planning on group meals. I will not be heading out early on Friday to bag a big camp spot so I cannot be sure that we can all camp togther. My experience in teh area is of smaller campsites along the access road to TH with space just for 2-3 tents at most.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the potlucks, too! campfire

However, having been in this area before (this time of the year) I agree that it's next to impossible to find a group campsite. Even if we did luck into one... having others find it would be a challenge, at best. There is one major meadow area but it is typically packed with hunters and ATV'er groups....packed in like sardines with loud boom-boxes. (just what we've seen in the past) The hiking trails didn't seem crowded at all.

The best solution we could come up with was to have a group meet at a designated spot (still sorting that out) and driving together on Saturday. (trying to be mindful of the folks that work on Friday and not wanting to set up in the dark) Perhaps that group could coordinate a mini pot-luck.

It's true that hiking on Sunday would likely put many of us arriving back home at 7pm.

The area is certainly beautiful and well worthy of the drive. Thanks Ambika for trying to coordinate this as best as possible. Just saw Letty's pics on HAZ, I'm IN! Crazy
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You never know what you will find down there. Sometimes it's really crowded, sometimes not. Usually the largest concentration of folks is in the large meadow area as you start to drive in off the main road. But there are plenty of spots along the road to the trailhead. I'm sure we will find some good ones.

I agree with Suz, I certainly don't think we have to give up on the potluck idea. We are camping after all!
tibber

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was planning on driving up Friday nite per the Nov 6 date but it looks like we should drive up on Saturday AM.

Suz, I was planning on coming via Globe/Safford route as that IS shorter. From my house to Gold Canyon is an hour and then from Gold Canyon it's only 2 1/2 hrs to Safford and then another 1 and 1/2 to the Trailhead.

It would be nice if those of us coming from Phx could meet up somewhere and then try to caravan drive to the trailhead area. At least that way, we can try and get a few of us together in a group environment of some sort.... Maybe we could meet at the Home Depot off of the 60 (north) and Crismon? like at 9 AM?

Anyone heard what the temps might be Sat/Sun?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: