ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trail Numbering Questions, ETC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Trail Numbering Questions, ETC Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone know how a trail gets it's numbering?
Is there any reasoning regarding main trail numbers vs trails that form off of a main trail? For instance, someone thought that a 100 trail would be a main trail, whereas a 200 was a trail connecting.
To ask even further, who numbers a trail? I take it the trails are not like a highway where the even numbers go East and West, odd numbers are North and South. Can there be more than one #100 trail in a state, county? In other words, if I said to someone I'm hiking #103, that would not give them a clue where I'm hiking at correct?

As you know, I'm VERY new to hiking and rather than look through books and such, I'd prefer to ask all of you because most of you are VERY knowledgeable!!

THANKS!!

Sherileeaz Hiking
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good question. I have no clue, but I'm sure someone else does.

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the person that numbers the trails is the same guy who numbers the forest roads.

I also think that he ate a lot of paint chips as a kid.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HA HA HA

GOOD QUESTION Sheri!

It looks like the main trails from the major trailheads were always numbered in the 100's and the secondaries in the 200's. Dutchman #104, Peralta #103, Boulder Canyon #103.

For example......you have the Dutchman #104 off the major FW TH and off that you have Second Water Trail #236 and Black Mesa 241. It makes sense in a warped kind of way. OK who numbered the trails?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

But it might be like they do the highways and freeways, odd numbers run north and south and the even numbers run east and west. Remember that only means that the start and finish points are east and west or north and south. Sometimes you can take an even number north or south and vice versa. I'm not sure about that, I suppose I could look...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: