ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Photo Processing Party--Sat., July 18th w/Derek von Briesen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(5) (1)
User
Suz
tibber
ChefTIO
Randal Schulhauser
Trishness
User
fairweather8588
Suz

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Photo Processing Party--Sat., July 18th w/Derek von Briesen Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wanted to get this up on the calendar so those interested can save the date. We're still sorting out the details.

This will be at my house in Gold Canyon. There will be a small instructional fee for Derek's time and expertise. The workshop will run 5-6 hours.....late afternoon through the evening-ish.

Our confirmed group (I think)
1. Derek
2. Me (Susan)
3. Angela
4. Todd
5. Trish
6. Randal
7. Ambika (for a smidge of time only)
8. Kat
9. Marie
10. John

Address information has been emailed to those signed up.

Potluck Plans
Tibber--I can bring a mandarin orange salad (I'm known for this and have been making it since the late 60s when I won a blue ribbon at the county fair, ha!) and maybe a cold cut tray of some sort with some cracker/rolls or something?
Trishness-- I do make a spicy and awesome Jicama Slaw if that piques any interest.
ChefTIO - Chicken Pasta Salad
Suz - Cooler full of bottled water, meatballs, chips/salsa
Randal - BBQ wings and ribs
Kat - Homemade Chocolate Cookies and Lemonade
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So is this about learning how to use computer programs for digital photography??
dabreeze

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To clarify: we'll be going over basic, intermediate and even some advanced methods of digital processing for landscape and nature photography.
I'll be demonstrating specifics using Adobe Photoshop CS3 but the principles can be employed in whatever software you currently use.

We'll also be spending time on RAW processing using Adobe Camera Raw (found in Photoshop & Lightroom).

We'll spend a fairly small amount of the time looking at maximizing results from point & shoot-captured jpgs and how to set up your camera for the best results.
Maybe even not at all if all participants are at DSLR/RAW level.

That said, those with DSLRs, wanting to or already shooting RAW, using Photoshop and/or Lightroom will likely derive the most benefit from the day.
As will point & shooters who want to move to the next level (DSLRs, RAW, tifs, Photoshop). We're not discriminating just trying to target a
relatively short day seminar so everyone benefits as much as possible. Always good to know in advance what you're signing on for (and paying $!).

I’ll also be providing a list of inexpensive books, online tutorials and some valuable tips for continuing your growth as
photographers long after your day at Suz’s!!

Hope you can join us,

Derek von Briesen
www.dvbphotography.com
www.southwestperspectives.com
dabreeze@esedona.net

Suz

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

for me..........it will be learning how to take an image that was decently composed and turn it into the best possible image. I don't have Photoshop CS3 or lightroom....but I might be persuaded to get them.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photoshop CS and Lightroom can be significant expenditures, I know cause I've followed PS from version 7 thru CS4.

The good news is that most of the features and functions you'll be learning are also available in Photoshop Elements, a very robust app that sells for less than $100. Just another alternative that will allow you to apply your new skills and still leave $ in your pocket for more camera toys...
Suz

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Stranger! What have ya got to show us? I know you've got to have another new shot or two.

Oh Great! I have photoshop Elements!
tibber

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just an FYI: I have an older version of Photoshop Elements and Corel Paint Shop. I mostly use Paint for editing.

I don't have a DSLR but a nice Panasonic FZ20 and am looking to upgrade that soon too.... but not to a DSLR. I also don't shoot RAW but I am familiar with TIF. Another person I know who wants to come has the Panasonic FZ28 and it shoots RAW.

I have been to photography/post production classes offered by various photographers at Boyce Thompson. I always learn something even if it's not for the exact product/software I have.
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish I could join you for this! I'm sure there are some simple applications that turn good photos into great ones. Even just talking to others about composition etc brings new ideas and technique. There are some great photographers on this site.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slipped my mind earlier - for those who haven't yet discovered the world of student discounts, you might try http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

Some great discounts are available to educators and students (and those of us who have access to them...)

Hey Suz, I haven't been out much lately. Did a GC hike and The Jug in the last few months but that's been about it. Mostly shooting humans, which isn't my subject of choice. Landscapes are much better at standing still and cooperating for the camera. But since you asked, I threw a few in the gallery.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/31/2009, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer, I'll be headed north for some backpacking in the Winds or the Uintahs.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 6/1/2009, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With an extended trip to Maui shortly after this, I would be a fool to pass an opportunity like this up.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/1/2009, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Digital Sherpa wrote:

Hey Suz, I haven't been out much lately. Did a GC hike and The Jug in the last few months but that's been about it. Mostly shooting humans, which isn't my subject of choice. Landscapes are much better at standing still and cooperating for the camera. But since you asked, I threw a few in the gallery.

Just got to the gallery to look. Very nice work! How on earth did you keep your camera dry?

ChefTIO wrote:
With an extended trip to Maui shortly after this, I would be a fool to pass an opportunity like this up.
Todd, glad the timing works for you.

tibber wrote:

I don't have a DSLR but a nice Panasonic FZ20 and am looking to upgrade that soon too.... but not to a DSLR. I also don't shoot RAW but I am familiar with TIF. Another person I know who wants to come has the Panasonic FZ28 and it shoots RAW.
Angela, glad you will be able to come. Can you ask your friend to sign up or PM me the info for that person....no rush, we have time still.

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Bummer, I'll be headed north for some backpacking in the Winds or the Uintahs.
Okay, you will be missed but we'll look forward to the stories and the pictures!

YH wrote:
I wish I could join you for this! There are some great photographers on this site.
We tried to plan it far enough out that YOU would have time to book your flight! Maybe next time!?
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's one of the 3 weekends that the National Parks are waiving entrance fees, but if I'm not at a park I'll try to make it

Kerouac
Suz

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh.........that's good to know.
Maybe we can do both?? Hmmm, I wonder how that could be worked out?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shoot in GC Saturday and have the party at Derek's Sunday on the way back....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: