ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Nearly a year has passed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Nearly a year has passed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great googly-moogly....it's been nearly a year since the last time I visited this site. That will tell you: 1) I don't get out hiking much these days, and 2) how much free time I have.

Heck, I haven't even posted any insipid, useless and annoying website links for probably 2 years.

I'm slipping in my old age.

Still no sign of being able to get out hiking more any time soon though. The kids keep us hopping, and frankly, as frustrating as it is personally to not be hiking as much as I'd like - I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

And here's something that will possibly shock a few of you:

When we held the first meeting to agree to start this site at Todd's place way back in the day, Caleb was 2 yrs old. His antics at that meeting spawned nickname/avatar on this site. Well, guess what - he'll be 9 this summer. 9. Years. Old.

What the heck happened?

Exciting and depressing at the same time.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly a year has passed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

When we held the first meeting to agree to start this site at Todd's place way back in the day, Caleb was 2 yrs old. His antics at that meeting spawned nickname/avatar on this site. Well, guess what - he'll be 9 this summer. 9. Years. Old.

What the heck happened?

When I joined HAZ (and this site shortly afterward) I was 14, and in two weeks I'll be buyin' my own beer. Weird to think I've already spent a 3rd of my life on these forums

Kerouac
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly a year has passed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

And here's something that will possibly shock a few of you:

What the heck happened?

Yeah, well don't blink, the next 7 years will go by just as fast. That roller coaster just keeps speeding up the longer you ride it. (From one who's been on it a little longer.)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly a year has passed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Great googly-moogly....it's been nearly a year since the last time I visited this site. .

Hey, Daddee, I'm still on here, being just as contentious as ever, and I say you are mistaken, and here is proof:

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/search.php?search_author=Daddee

You posted every month last year, and once this January.

Take the kids hiking every weekend. That way you will always have hiking companions. It works!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Elizabeth Daddee get those kids out there and they will learn to love it. One day Caleb will kick your butt up one side of the trail and down the other. That's when you know you have made your self a life long hiking buddy and the memories will be yours to treasure!

I want to shine!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
get those kids out there and they will learn to love it. One day Caleb will kick your butt up one side of the trail and down the other. That's when you know you have made your self a life long hiking buddy and the memories will be yours to treasure!

Believe me, I do what I can, whenever I can.

Caleb already loves going hiking with me and has successfully hiked Flatiron twice with me (it's now his favorite trail). He doesn't have the endurance yet, but he's mighty quick in short bursts, and he's not afraid to take risks - I just wish he understood the risks he's taking sometimes.

Gavin is coming along nicely, he loves to hike as well, but he's still a little unsure of himself so he doesn't just fly down the trail like Caleb and likes to stay closer to mommy and daddy (not that I'm complaining - Caleb scares the crap out of me on a regular basis).

Sabrina, has cerebral palsy so she can't walk quite as well as the other two, but she loves being carried in a backpack. The biggest problem with her is that she wants to be independent and hike like her brothers so badly, but it invariably leads to her falling down and injuring herself. It is a little heart-breaking to see so much desire and then see and know that the ability just isn't there (and may not ever be). We work with her and hold her hand and pick her up a lot, but it's still a difficult thing for her.

The problem isn't with the desire. It's the schedule.

Caleb loves Baseball and Basketball - and that's nearly an every Saturday thing. I support him fully, I just wish we had more free time on Saturday.

Stupid sports. Smile

He's an active kid and LOVES being outdoors. We're planning a backpacking trip this summer (just a short overnighter) and he can barely stand the anticipation. It's quite entertaining.

Caleb is now taking an interest in rock climbing as well. I'd like to encourage him more, but we just don't have the funds to get him outfitted. And much less funds to get me outfitted so that I can go with him.

Stupid economy.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
cakewalk

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly a year has passed Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="fairweather8588"]
Daddee wrote:

What the heck happened?

I was at that meeting.... Geeze, how time flies!
Suz

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

Sabrina, has cerebral palsy

Caleb is now taking an interest in rock climbing as well. I'd like to encourage him more, but we just don't have the funds to get him outfitted. And much less funds to get me outfitted so that I can go with him.

I didn't know that about Sabrina. I'm sure your family is very good at celebrating all that she can do. How old is she now?

REI Garage Sale is this weekend, I believe. Could be a great time to grab a pair of shoes and a harness. Or rent gear for a bit.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/14/2009, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sabrina is 3 now. We found out she has cerebral palsy about a year or so ago. It is a very mild case, it affects mostly her lower extremities and her ability to walk.

If you were just looking at her you'd never know she had any problems - until you watched her walk. Her gait is extremely unsteady - basically her muscles aren't as strong as they should be and her nerve endings can't keep up with the signals from her brain.

But that doesn't keep her from being the cutest thing EVER.

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: