ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
UPDATE: Summer job possibility--I'm on pins and needles!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Summer job possibility--I'm on pins and needles!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I applied for a job today, had to type up a special resume for it. It is a mostly summer job where they want someone who is good at guiding people to go hiking, mountain biking, and kayaking, and in winter (part time only in winter) cross country skiing and snowshoeing.

The first person I talked to there was very excited about my resume and experience. I have a regular interview with the general manager on Monday.

So please keep your fingers crossed for me! I not only NEED a full-time job this summer, but also of course this is the best one I have seen in quite awhile! I also took a second copy of the resume to another resort that uses hiking guides, just in case.

When I came back from Yuma last month I told myself I would concentrate on finding jobs that keep me outside at least part of the day. So I'm now training as a school bus driver, which I once did before, for 5 years, so it is not new to me. But of course, school is out next month, and those bills just keep landing in me mailbox, darn it! Have to put food on the table, roof over the head, etc.

crossed fingers crossed fingers my fingers are crossed my fingers are crossed crossed fingers my fingers are crossed
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like the ideal job for you Elizabeth! Good luck!

I want to shine!
mikehikes

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. Sounds better than the deal I had at Grand Canyon. (Probably pays more than $12/day too!) Hope you get it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More like $12 an hour plus tips, is what I was told! Holy moo cow! That is pretty good money for this part of the world.

Thanks, y'all, I'll let you know the news, good or bad, probably by next week some time!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good luck! I never new there were those kind of jobs out there, or thought about getting a summer job like that!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, there are lots of outdoor jobs, but for most of them you have to be willing to be gone from home a lot or to relocate. My son gets paid to go backpacking! He has worked for the Anasazi Foundation, based in Mesa, for a year and a half. I think during that time he has probably spent fewer than 60 nights sleeping in a house in a bed. His job is taking troubled teens on long wilderness journeys.

Another way to work outdoors is to look for jobs in national parks, national forests, etc. Those are sort of hard to get, though. I have tried, and will probably try again next year.

Another thing you can do is to go to river guide school, which is offered by various rafting companies in Buena Vista, Colorado and other places. Most of the schools are not free, and are held in the spring for a week or two. Then you can get a job on the river in summer. Or, you can even just work the short season on the Upper Salt for a couple of months. Some people I know just go to the Salt River on weekends to guide the paddle rafts, and have a regular job during the week.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/10/2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the idea of taking troubled teens on long journeys. It would be fun to watch them grow. My first year of teaching was with troubled kids. I liked it, it was difficult, but rewarding. I don't like the idea of being away from home that long. Thanks for the information!
Deborah

PostPosted: 4/11/2009, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Keeping you in my thoughts. This sounds like a great job for you.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The interview was Monday and they told me they would let me know within two or three weeks. That is a long time to be on pins and needles. I am trying not to think about it, anyway. They didn't seem very well-organized--they hadn't even planned out how to get their guests to the trailheads other than in their own (the guests') vehicles. They don't have a van.

Anyway, I am trying not to think about it too much.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, if it is suposed to happen it will happen....if not something more perfect for you for one reason or another will come along.

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do have a summer job offer, back at my old job sewing firemen's packs. I worked there this afternoon, in fact, as the owner needed some extra help. I do intend to continue searching for outdoor jobs, though. Hopefully the one I interviewed for or another one will come along. I'll take the sewing job if nothing else comes along.

Thanks!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

my fingers are crossed for you... an Outdoor job sounds right up your alley

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, Michelle. I am trying not to think about it too much! Moving along with what's at hand, you know. I had the interview, so just have to wait.
PageRob

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Best of luck. Here's hoping for you!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/17/2009, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, still waiting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: