ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fifth Graders Need Old Old Tents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
beckett

PostPosted: 4/1/2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Fifth Graders Need Old Old Tents Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a bunch of old tents that people don't really want anymore. I'll be camping with 170 fifth graders at the end of April in cabins, but I thought it would be a fun relay race activity to see how many of them could actually set up a tent. The tents need to be ones you no longer are attached to because accidents do happen.

I will be taking small groups on one hour hikes over the two and a half days. Should be lots of fun but the kids really have expressed that they want to do more "camping" stuff. Of course we will be looking through owl pellets and examining pond water under microscopes. There is also a woman doing a lesson on using a compass. I'm sure there will be campfires, sing-a-longs and s'mores. Any other ideas out there?

Please just PM me if you have a tent you would like to donate.

Thanks,
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/2/2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll have your hands full (170 5th graders) fingers crossed WoW !! that's a lot of kids Amazed How much help do you have girl!, hope it is more than just you ! I'm sure it will be interesting and fun just the same especially for those who have never camped or been out in wildernessy area before, even if in cabins.

Chin Scratching Looking at the stars might be interesting. Trying to find the dippers and the North Star. Segway that into a discusson on how it was used and in still used to help navigate and know what direction your heading. Not that you'll be taking them on any night hikes, Right? Eek
Or when you are out during the day, the position and movement of the sun to show them how to determine east/west again a navigational kinda thing to understand concepts of which direction they are heading.

Or maybe spotting and identifying birds and their songs. Or identifying animals or such that you run across. Or try to identify sounds at night and what they are. Might spark an interest for some new hobbies for them and help some to not be afraid if they know what they are hearing out there.

Maybe bring some of your backpacking stuff to show them how you carry your house on your back and have to be self sufficient.

Just some thoughts I had.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/2/2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pick up a blacklight flashlight and look for scorpions at night. Or, maybe not. That could freak out some.
Deborah

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 5th grade field trip. Our 5th graders went to YMCA camp in October overnight.
Have fun!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh the joys of teaching 5th grade! I am jealous, only becuase you get to do Outdoor Ed. I don't know if I have a tent, I will look though! Have fun with that!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I mentioned this thread to my wife today, and we think that we have one or possibly two tents that we can donate. Probably one, since shipping will cost a lot. Anyway, we were wondering about who and what we are donating the tent to? We are hoping that the tent will get used more than just one time at the end of April. If that's all, then we might find another organization that can put it to better use. Please elaborate, and I'll try to get it out to you real soon. Thanks!
beckett

PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt - I teach fifth grade and we are taking our 170 fifth graders to our annual Math and Science camp for three days and two nights. The tents that are donated would be kept and used yearly. The kids actually sleep in cabins; however, the tents will be used for teamwork activities and relay races. They will also be used for a place where the kids can chill and do some quiet reading. My school has never used tents before and many of my students have expressed an interest in learning about how to set up a tent, a campsite, etc. Let me know if you would like to donate a tent. If you PM me I can work something out to get the tent.

Michelle - We thought that if I brought my backpacking pack all packed the kids could try it on to feel the weight and then try to guess what's in it. The team that lists the most things in it will be the winners! Wish I knew more about the stars. I would love to do some star gazing with them and identify some constellations. I know a few but am no means an expert.

Hey Patty...Do you have that game we planned a couple years ago at the anniversary party about the cities in Arizona? Could you email it to me?

Thanks to all!
Linda

beckett

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who have PMed me. I have four tents so far. It's a great start!

beckett

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who have PMed me. I have four tents so far. It's a great start!
Thank you everyone!
Linda

Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 4/8/2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your tent request just hit my Facebook and Twitter pages. Maybe you'll get some email from people not affiliated with this site.

Also, the Mtn Hardware tent is on its way.
beckett

PostPosted: 4/14/2009, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt's tent arrived today. Tomorrow the kids will have a chance to try to set up three of the donated tents.

Thanks to Diane, Matt, and Trish...The kids will love using all the tents donated!

Linda

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have one or two more tents. Do you need sleeping bags for the camp out?

GTG
beckett

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd, These tents will have to be donated. I can't take any tent people treasure or needs back. I'm a little afraid something might happen as the kids attempt to put the tents together. Did you have one or two more tents you want to donate or just lend?

As far as sleeping bags...there are a couple of kids who might need them. We're sleeping in cabins so some of the kids are planning on bringing homemade bed rolls.

I can't believe we leave in just two weeks!
Very Happy

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you getting all set. It will be fun i'm sure. I liked your idea with the backpack and have them guess what is in it. I'm sure they will be really surprised and wonder why/what you need all that for. Especially after they try it on and feel the weight. Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
Todd, These tents will have to be donated. I can't take any tent people treasure or needs back. I'm a little afraid something might happen as the kids attempt to put the tents together. Did you have one or two more tents you want to donate or just lend?

As far as sleeping bags...there are a couple of kids who might need them. We're sleeping in cabins so some of the kids are planning on bringing homemade bed rolls.

I can't believe we leave in just two weeks!
Very Happy

These would be to donate. I'll have to make sure they're good first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: