ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wildlife seen while you are at work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't know they climbed trees, either. Interesting!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/14/2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, back to what happens while on the clock. I am still training for the bus driving job. Today the trainer finally had time for a long trip, so we went to Hannagan, and then on to Blue Vista. I hadn't seen Blue Vista since the fire ran over the top of it. Didn't hurt much, a few dead trees, but it sure improved the view! We saw very little wildlife, though: two turkeys and a limping cow elk.

The bus driver trainer also works at the mine in Morenci and regaled me with wildlife stories specific to his making that drive from Eagar to Morenci along 191 twice a week for years. If the road is closed he goes around by way of Glenwood and Mule Creek, NM, of course.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been doing the Vernon run. We usually see antelope or elk, or both. Sometimes a coyote or two.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 8/13/2009, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remembered enjoying this thread awhile back, so I have something nice to add...saw these guys working this week. They were so cute Razz and didn't seem to mind us at all! I had to use one of my bosses ancient slr's and zoom lens, but still pretty cool! They are Burrowing Owls and are living in a nice undisturbed area. I have not really seen too many of these so I felt pretty lucky!

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 8/13/2009, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome sighting, I'm jealous. Yet to get a good owl photo.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/13/2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wonder if they are "our" owls. The G&F Dept did a project up here near Eagar, at the G&F White Mtn. Grasslands Area. They and many volunteers built burrowing owl "burrows" and then they released a bunch of owls. At first, they were feeding them, etc. The owls stayed around after they were released, but they do migrate to lower elevations in winter.

Unfortunately, they never came back. Not a single one! I tried to find out what had happened to them, since they were banded and presumably could have been sighted elsewhere. G&F has not been very informative on this subject when I've inquired.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 8/13/2009, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, if they are your owls, they made it all the way to Pinal County...!
Thanks Heat! I ended up with a few decent shots...despite I was at the mercy of another camera, but did my best...this pic is a little grainy, but the image is there...I love his facial expression...

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are neat shots Sande, I don't know much about owls but I didn't realize there was such a thing as burrowing owls. That might make for an easy dinner , a few scampering mice per chance? Mr. Green

Thought owls were always in trees. Very interesting!

And the shot on the ground with them peaking out is too cute !!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They are so cute. I really wish some of them had enjoyed their White Mountains 2nd home enough to come back! One thing I forgot to mention is that the G&F person I talked to said that he had heard that some of the released owls had been seen elsewhere, but he didn't know where. I suppose I should call again, find out who does know the answers.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, as for wildlife seen at work: This summer at Hidden Meadow Ranch I regularly saw the resident bull elk, "Steve." He is very grand. Hope he makes it through the hunt season! I still work there on weekends, so maybe will see some more animals. A bear and a mountain lion were seen on the property this summer, but not by me.

My school bus run is all in town, so I'm unlikely to see much there. Wild rednecked loons, maybe... Rolling Eyes
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Only time I saw wildlife at work was when 3 or 4 javelina's decided to see if our tables outside of the pizza place tasted good so they started to lick them. We had a pretty good laugh and eventually just scared them away

Kerouac
tibber

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw some sort of special on the local gov't channel about these burrowing owls. A couple guys were trying to save them from the developers. I don't remember the area though but it was a pretty large plot of land. It was very interesting.

Sande, that is a darn cute picture of the little fella!

Lucky for me at work in N. Scottsdale (99th St & Bell), we have quite a bit of wildlife including a roadrunner, finches & a couple other breeds of birds, hummingbirds, lizards, butterflies and a couple families of quail. It's so funny when I'm on the phone to our home office (formerly Richmond VA now St Louis) and exclaim, "awh, the lizard is doing push-ups" or I email my boss who is still at home that the family of quail (including the babies of course) is out for a morning walk on the thigh-high cement block wall....
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/14/2009, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you send them photos? I'd think they would have never heard of our buff lizards who work out every day in the sun! Wink
sirena

PostPosted: 8/15/2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Do you send them photos? I'd think they would have never heard of our buff lizards who work out every day in the sun! Wink

Or you could send them this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Is4QQFJAg4

They do the push-ups to bulk up their tiny saurian triceps, you know Very Happy

Sirena's Wanderings
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Arizona Trail for Fibromyalgia
http://www.aztrail4fms.org
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/15/2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/15/2009, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Liz, recently i have seen:
Peccary
Bobcat
Desert Spiny
Bald Eagle
Raven
desert whipsnake
common kingsnake
collared lizard
roadrunner

and the typical gambel quail and cottontail. no gila monster or diamondback, yet

i have also worked aroud 2 monsters aged 3 and 1 year, official name of homo sapiens sapiens but that too is debateable..

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: