ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wildlife seen while you are at work
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Wildlife seen while you are at work Reply to topic Reply with quote

I decided to start this thread to see if anyone else sees wildlife while at work. Anything from birds to bears! Of course, people like PageRob and others who have worked outdoors will probably have seen more interesting wildlife than people working in an office. But some office workers may have seen a javelina or bobcat out their window, who knows?

Today while "on the clock" I saw four herds of elk and one herd of antelope. I saw two Canada Geese by a pond, two ducks in flight, and a roadkill skunk. I was riding on a school bus--I'm not driving yet as I am in training. The driver also saw a coyote, but I couldn't spot it. We went to Greer and Sunrise to pick up kids. We started out before 6 a.m. and watched the sun come up, although it was a bit overcast.

Anyone else? My one "rule" is you have to actually be on the clock when you see the animal.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I often see a perigrine falcon out my window. This year it's only been one, the last few years there has been a pair. I don't know if the other one is gone or not. I have hope that it is still around because I've heard these two are known up and down Central Ave and they have been known to be a threesome so to speak.
Deborah

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't actually see it , but I was on the clock. I heard descriptions of it on the radio and experienced mass panic. LOL
A bobcat was on the lower playing field the other day eating it's lunch . the kids were outside playing when the report came in.
One of our main playground EA's is a pretty cool lady who agrees with me let it alone ,so she just calmly announced bring the children up to the upper field, but then a freaky teacher screams it's moving toward the children.
We ended up moving the kids inside and they finished recess in the classrooms.
Mass panic insued!
It's ridiculous!
The next day a parent originally from India came up to me and said , "Oh my god a Bobcat at school", I think there was a mountain lion on my car the other morning." I laughed silently to myself and explained to her that I am sure it was not a mountain lion on her car as they are pretty quiet, shy animals. I explained to her that Bobcat's have learned to live in the neighborhood since humans have encrouched on their hunting grounds and they do not harm children. Just keep the kids away from the cat as well as small pets. Do not try to feed the animals.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a better chance than most since I work outside in land survey. About a week ago I saw a huge eagle...(maybe a golden?) sitting on the branch of a dead tree. It was not a hawk because I see them almost daily. He was a big boy and stuck out like a sore thumb. Awesome! This was out in Pinal County off Arizona Farms Rd. I also recently saw a nice big jackrabbit making good time and as I observed him, not far behind him came coyote 1, then 2, then 3.....Run Jack!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, neat stories. Ain't Arizona great?

Anyone else?
lzyboy

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, had to chime in on this one. I am fortunate enough to work at one of the Salt River dams and wildlife is viewed on a daily basis.

Had one of my friends come out to shoot these critters a couple weeks ago. Currently there are a couple hundred common mergansers that call the lower lake home and are a hoot to watch. We have a nesting pair of bald eagles that keep an eye on the ducks, and indulge now and then. That is if the resident golden eagle doesn't chase them off!

There is a family of four raccoons that wanders thru every evening, headed to the lake to feed. We've had bobcats in our switchyard, whitetail and mule deer come down to the upper reservoir to drink. Ringtail cats are eveywhere if we have to come in at night and there are indications, tho I've not seen one, of mountain lions making visits on the north side of the dam.

Blue herons, cormorants, mud ducks, and all type of waterfowl can be observed most ever day.

Driving into town, especially in the winter, there are the ubiquitous snowbirds. Then, as the weather warms, there are always a few pigs in boats, chucking their trash overboard for us to clean up... gotta take the bad with the good, I guess...

Rosalia de Castro
threedogz

PostPosted: 3/20/2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hear a lot of wildlife noises at work when people wake up from anesthesia...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I hear a lot of wildlife noises at work when people wake up from anesthesia...

Laughing grunts, howls, hoots, whines?? Wink

Lazyboy that bighorn is amazing. You seem to also have an enviable job!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I work in an office off the freeway in Mesa so all I've seen are a couple of jackrabbits in the parking lot, some black widow spiders and scorpions in the office itself and an occasional bird that flies into the windows.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, you mean there are no chimps working in your office? Most offices have at least one! Mr. Green
bessiehyde

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I work in the deepest, darkest, inner sanctums of the federal government enclosed by barbed wire, machine gun check points, and big burley guys who carry automatic weapons and don't smile ....... (no joke) ....

... but I always get a chuckle when our local groundhog runs around the grass outside my office. He's actually very fat, fearless, and won't budge if you walk by. In fact, there are quite a few groundhogs. They have a good life
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you sure its a groundhog ? Could be a "mole".
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heh heh!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/21/2009, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got home and found the patio chair cushion that my dog sits in was shredded....claw marks and all....she's going crazy smelling it. Wonder if it was my bobcat friend marking the area and taking advantage of us being gone.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We had a little red fox (I think it was a red fox?) sitting up in a tree in the parking lot I think last week, I wasn't there the day it was there, but they had yellow taped off the area where it was. It was gone the next morning. I wasn't aware that fox could climb trees?
One of the photographers snapped a shot of it up in the tree. If I can find the info on how to add to this, I'll try posting the pic. It was really cute.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: