ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Crossing Rainbow Bridge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Scree Chute Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:

This is how I'll remember him Smile

Hooli in the Brown's Peak scree chute was originally posted on the infamous "Gun-totin Scruffy Types" thread over on HAZ seven or so years ago. I was so tired of the idiotic debate in said thread that I added some humor by arming Hooli in an improbable hiking/gun situation.

Daryl wrote:

This particular ditz was a hike in the White Tanks and I actually had George pose. Hooli was so afraid it was going to rain that day that he bailed at the last minute. We had to let the wussy know it did not rain on us that day just a bunch of wind from the "Windmaster" himself.

Here are some more images that I've posted over the years. As you can see most are in the scree chute format.

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Stan, such memories you have. I like the Hooli in the sky. That's all we have to do now is look up, especially if it looks like rain. We just might see him looking back. And with a snicker on his face.

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
pfredricks

PostPosted: 4/20/2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hooli Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am stunned to see this news, albeit late. Very sad indeed...but such a beautiful tribute are these posts.

Those Hooli Pics are the best Stan..and I remember some of the original posts and the days gone past when Hooli would serve as the moral compass to some of those stray forum posts. Good stuff.

A small tale to add about Hooli:
A year or two ago, I was driving home through some heavy traffic and I noticed an RV with an Arizonahikers.com sticker on it...and I wondered who it could be. Well, it took me a bit to get up to it, but as I pulled up to it, I knew right who it was........HOOLI. ( I think there was a Besenji sticker or license plate or something somewhere on it too) Well, I rolled down my window.....and I must admit feeling a bit, well ...skeptical of the reception I might get considering all those aforementioned posts of old. Well, I only half finished saying hi and explaining who I was, and he kind of got this wide smile and said, "Hi" and " You're Pete" Uh, oh I thought. "Nice to meet you!" (WHEEEW-What a relief) "Great to meet you too," I said. Well, traffic began to move and we both said, hope to see you around....out on the trail. Well, I guess it is gonna be a bit longer than we expected. It was great to meet you though Hooli! Til then.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
wendyf

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found out about Hooli yesterday and I sat here and cried. Then I knew I had to let you all know that there was someone else who would miss him, who has been missing him for about a year, since I last had an e-mail from him. I e-mailed him last August to ask if he was OK. Since then I've googled and searched and then yesterday I came across this place. And I cried.

I've never met John - I live a long way away, in New Zealand. I met him on-line, in a sort of community social forum- he was at that time living in California. The social forum died away, as they do, but we kept in touch by e-mail. He sent marvellous photos of his hiking trips and it was very obvious that he had found a wonderful set of friends. I kept up with his love for the Basenjis, and his distress as they became sick and died. He sent very funny jokes as well. He was a pretty amazing man and I valued his friendship.

The last e-mail from him was June of last year.

I love the story of the Rainbow Bridge.
beckett

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your story of Hooli with our community.
He is missed by so many.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/24/2009, 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, Wendy. Glad you found us.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/24/2009, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli's passing still feels so fresh and so recent...perhaps because I miss him so much. I cried when I read that you cried. It's a huge loss and it doesn't seem to get any easier. He was a very special, one of a kind person.
traipsingone

PostPosted: 9/15/2009, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, not what I thought I was going to read...

To his friends here - I'm sorry to hear of his passing and thought what was written on this thread was very nice...
glemyr

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 2:45 pm    Post subject: One year Ago Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was one year ago today that Hooli crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I think of him every day and tell Rich that I am trying to take care of him as well as Hooli did. Rich just says "Yea Right" at least it's getting warmer in Michigan now.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/3/2012, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was just thinking about our friend Hooli this morning. It's hard to believe it's been 3 years already that we've been without him. He was quite a character and I'm glad that I got to spend some time with him. Wish it could have been more...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2012, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amen to that.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/3/2012, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A very sad day indeed. I will choose to let my memories of our friend cause as many smiles and as few tears as possible as I remember Hooli's favorite memory of me was my big giant smile I had on my face the day I walked out of the canyon after the first WFW. I can't tell you how many times I heard that story over the years.... My longing for my friend will always be there.... but I choose to channel that longing to my many happy memories of him. this thread helps! Many memories and many smiles contained within!

I want to shine!
beckett

PostPosted: 3/3/2012, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking of him myself today...with a smile of course. Glad to see this site will always remember him. Smile

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hnak

PostPosted: 3/5/2012, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still grin when I remember the hike to Yuma Point. We did a diversion to Dripping Springs to fill up our water bottles, and when we got there Hooli was soaking his tired feet in the pool... LOL!!! What a character... Wink
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/5/2012, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Miss you Hooli! Fond memories of wonderful times!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: