ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
TNF enters the UL world?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/27/2009, 10:56 am    Post subject: TNF enters the UL world? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I may be mouthing my words as I read this...
check out the new UL pack, by none other than The North Face.
its tiny, but may work for peak bagging or SUL trips.
and its OD green!

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/28/2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

But does it fit petite women? Laughing

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/28/2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a nice little pack, I'm not sure I like the color schemes they've got offered. Neutral

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/28/2009, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about the Red one? I like that color

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/1/2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, you've been spending too much time seeking out mom-and-pop outfitters and custom gear makers to notice what mainstream companies have been doing. This type of thing has been around for forever. I have a nylon backpack that is probably lighter than this thing, that was made by a cycling outfitter in the 70's and it's still going strong.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/1/2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Noted they also have some new tents as well. I still prefer my military surplus.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/1/2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

actually, ive been seeking out what other backpackers are making, not really what is made in a chinese factory. id rather have a ULA anyday, and im not going to buy this pack, but i thought someone else might like it Very Happy

what i do
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/2/2009, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Looks like a nice little pack, I'm not sure I like the color schemes they've got offered. Neutral

Tracy, don't you think it would coordinate quite nicely with our new t shirts!? Laughing

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/3/2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh.... I see you want to go incognito... tricky

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/4/2009, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
This type of thing has been around for forever. I have a nylon backpack that is probably lighter than this thing, that was made by a cycling outfitter in the 70's and it's still going strong.

well yeah. youre right if i can assume you are saying that mainstream guys just keep re-inventing the wheel.. true dat.

and fwiw, I do have a ULA pack (conduit). its the most comfy ive owned. ever.
trouble is, i cant fill it for all year use - so its mainly my winter pack.

what i do
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:

well yeah. youre right if i can assume you are saying that mainstream guys just keep re-inventing the wheel.. true dat.

That's definitely one way of looking at it. I tend to agree. That's why I haven't "needed" any gear in so long. Nothing truly better than what I already own has come along. I gave my REI dividend to my wife so she could buy new boots. She couldn't believe I didn't want anything for myself. I might be in the market for a new pack and tent this year though. But not from REI (not because I have anything against REI, they just don't have what I'll be looking at).
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i have nothing against them as a gear store, even if they are a trendy clothing store that sells gear on the side (dont believe me? take a look at their catalogs)

i think its just a business 'model' for outdoor retailers to market and sell what's new and fresh even if that means telling people they have to replace their gear every season... take a look at something like Marmot tents. Not cutting edge by any means. They simply throw a half dozen tents on the market every single year but are there any real changes? They use the same fabric, the same colors, maybe the move a door over here, or add a tie out over there, but after all, its the same weight, same color, same tent. (that barely scratches the surface of marmot's clothing line that while makes some very functional gear, still says "look at me, im outdoorsy" and dont even get me started on TNF)
Trying to "trick" the consumer into thinking "new" is somehow better. Just RE-inventing the wheel.

REI as a retailer is doing nothing wrong, but taking part in the gear hype that runs rampant in their catalogs and showroom is not something im interested in. (when reading this, which is my opinion and nothing more, remind yourselves of the ultra-rediculous JetBoil "Flash") When REI starts selling Western Mountaineering, Mont-Bell, and Nunatak for instance and quits trying to tell me that a 3lb pack is 'ultralight' I would love to shop there. They just dont carry the products that im interested in.

till then, we have backcountry, prolitegear, and campsaver Very Happy
I have some friends who saved some major money while that backcountry code was valid. makes the REI dividend seem petty and unimportant. i even got a little slice of that pie for myself Cool

what i do
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, I guess what I don't understand about you, is why you seem to take offense to what REI does (even though you say you don't). You are obviously not the type of consumer that REI is going after. There is no need to complain because they say a 3lb pack is ultralight. It is, if put in the proper perspective.
There is nothing wrong with how the gear manufacturers and REI market their products. Even if the changes are miniscule, people like to see fresh things and have the latest stuff. Who would blame any company for taking advantage of that? (You, it seems.) Welcome to America Mike. Give the people what they want and let capitalism prosper. Every one should go to REI and help the economy.
REI has targeted their consumer and they do it effectively. Just because that consumer is not you, is not a reason to bash them every chance you get. I have no stock in REI, I just think it's ridiculous how you keep arguing against them. Not everyone wants a pack and hammock made out of tissue paper. Not everyone wants to buy gear from companies they never heard of. Plus, it's hard to beat REI's return policy. I would still shop there if there was one close to me.

Seriously though (not that I wasn't serious above), keep bringing the unknown cool stuff to us. It's way better than the Selk Bag! Rolling Eyes
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
Mike, I guess what I don't understand about you, is why you seem to take offense to what REI does (even though you say you don't).
matt, my broham... we both know that cutting egde is coming from the small guys (cottage)
the OP was simply pointing out a new product, to those who it might favor... I could care less because im not going to buy it. I already understand that there are about 5 packs lighter, more durable, and "better" than this one.

my only point about REI is that they dont sell cutting edge. Other stores already do, so what is REI waiting for?
(for instance, Feathered Friends is right across the street from REI store in Seattle, you know, the big one- but that is the only store that carries Feathered Friends products. Why is this? a mystery..)

* i suppose you understand little about our economy.. and thats ok, you pro'lly would agree tho, that buying from American gear makers instead of a retail store that sells Chinese made goods is a better choice, in this situation.

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

i suppose you understand little about our economy.. and thats ok, you pro'lly would agree tho, that buying from American gear makers instead of a retail store that sells Chinese made goods is a better choice, in this situation

Perhaps partially true -- most of our economy's woes are from Greed! ( both the big guys and little guys) and forgetting to "live with your means". Why buy anything from anywhere when you cannot afford it in the 1st place ? Any why does stuff needs to be "updated" when your original piece is fully functional and not significantly outdated by new technnology or your use of it?

I am huge fan of experimental technology, so spend on "cutting edge gear". Right now I am hugely tempted by a camera pack that will travel well -- http://www.guragear.com/product.php.

Having seen the bag in field I love it -- at its price point I can't justify it as weekend photographer. So I am now having to wait till it becomes mainstream & affordable! If I were a Pro Photgrapher then my use will justify the price! I just got done trading emails with Andy Biggs for a hiking pack....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: