ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZGFD collars first wild jaguar in US
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
randy883

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with thesuperstitions comment:

Am I missing something here? Even if the animal was having problems, why kill him? Are they afraid he'd go postal on someone? Or could it be that they wanted their 15 minutes of fame? Hopefully the government guy will get 15 years to think about what an idiot he is!!!

The whole thing is an outrage!! Mad
Deborah

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is appalling and new evidence is leading to the fact that it was a planned baiting with female Jaguar scat near the snare.
A radio collar pre-ordered and plans to make a taxidermied trophy for Game and Fish after an incomplete autopsy.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My tax dollars support killing an an innocent jaguar that came to AZ -- He'd be safer in Mexico!

The jaguar made its own way down here -- Conditions may be supporting growing range. I do not see the point of us collaring and stressing the animal so we can "know" more to help the "recovery"

Sad
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The jaguars would probably fare much better if we put a collar on that biologist. Laughing
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If we euthanized all of the biologists and "experts" that were acting a little strange, the jaguars would have no natural enemies!

Here's another story on this : http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/04/03/20090403machob0403.html

In part...

Quote:
After Macho B's death, some of his tissues were sent to the University of Arizona's veterinary diagnostics laboratory.

One of the pathologists there, Dr. Sharon Dial, said Macho B's kidneys were not in chronic failure. They were, in fact, fairly healthy.

She contended that Macho B may have been put down too soon.

Arizona Game and Fish pilloried her.

Her comments, the department said in a statement, were "outrageous, unprofessional and speculative."
ghoster

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Study them to death? Take the tigers, rhinos, and many other species lots of studies to "protect" them and still their numbers decline. Soon there will only be humans to "study" and then the world might get a chance.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The whole thing is very distressing. And I believe it all ties in with the border fence and the United States' spectacular failure at its stupid, expensive, destructive "War on Drugs."

Does anyone else share my suspicion that the whole thing has something to do with the border fence? The border fence places some wildlife in jeopardy because it prevents them from ranging as they would normally do. The powers that be want the fence. Having the one animal that is truly endangered get sick and have to be put down is quite convenient, don't you think? That way they no longer have to try to protect him in the wild.

If they are going to have this fence, then they need to come up with a way to allow wildlife across. They probably need to start with new personnel who are dedicated to saving endangered species, and not to saving the border fence.

LEGALIZE DRUGS AND TAX THEM AND WE WILL NOT NEED A BORDER FENCE. The more the gubment cracks down on drugs, the more the prices for drugs go up. The higher the value, the more people in Mexico and other countries are willing to kill to protect their interests in the illegal trafficking of them. If the US legalized and controlled the drugs and made them available to its citizens, the cartels could be put out of business.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do think they intended to capture and track the jaguar. I don't think the intent was to kill him. That just happened from stupidity later.

I support closing the border to illegal traffic because it would:
1. Stop people dying in desert crossings.
2. Force real immigration reform.
3. Protect sensitive areas from environmental damage.

Today there is no need for congress to act. They can stand and shout against illegal immigrants but the fact is the workers are still getting here to mow lawns, dig ditches, babysit kids, clean houses, cook meals, etc. If the flow can be stopped, then we'd see if our economy were better off without them. If not, then congress could quickly pass whatever was needed to let people in legally and put the coyotes out of business.

I camped on the San Pedro a few years ago. Apparently it's an immigration route. The amount of trash left behind was sickening. Empty plastic water jugs, discarded clothing, and other trash told the tale of many travelers.

I wouldn't have a problem with legalizing drugs if there we a good way to make sure my surgeon, airline pilot, bus driver, or taxi driver wasn't impaired. A simple BAC can be used with alcohol. How would they know with pot?
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Azhiker96. As a civil libertarian, I support decriminalization of personal drug use. Employers should have the right to drug test safety sensitive workers, since employment is not a right but a two way contract.

Drugs have been coming over the border for at least 50 years. There was no talk of a fence until one way immigrant traffic climbed to unacceptable levels. Ideally we can find a way to allow jaguars to cross but not people.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Think the border problem would be solved if the elected officials were required to spend the night alone sleeping on the ground on the border.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

LEGALIZE DRUGS AND TAX THEM AND WE WILL NOT NEED A BORDER FENCE. The more the gubment cracks down on drugs, the more the prices for drugs go up. The higher the value, the more people in Mexico and other countries are willing to kill to protect their interests in the illegal trafficking of them. If the US legalized and controlled the drugs and made them available to its citizens, the cartels could be put out of business.

When I worked in DC a member of the administrative staff told me an interesting story. She had been employed for years in the numbers business. She and others would report for work in a house or other place to do the administrative work of running a huge business. They often moved locations. When the lottery was instituted, the numbers business dried up-and they were out of a job, with no legitmate employement history.

When I think of some of these complicated, never ending problems, I'm reminded of that saying about "insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results each time" or something to that effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: