ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZGFD collars first wild jaguar in US
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 2/19/2009, 11:37 pm    Post subject: AZGFD collars first wild jaguar in US Reply to topic Reply with quote

News Media
Feb 19, 2009

Jaguar conservation has just experienced an exciting development with the capture and collaring of the first wild jaguar in Arizona by the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

The male cat was incidentally captured yesterday in an area southwest of Tucson during a research study aimed at monitoring habitat connectivity for mountain lions and black bears...

read on: http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_1106.shtml

Bill Bens
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/20/2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is way cool! I can only imaging the researchers excitement at this discovery.

The discovery conversation might have gone something like this:

Researcher 1 - Hey look, we got a bea.. now we got a lion in the trap.

Researcher 2 - That's not a lion it's a bear.

Researcher 1 - That's not a bear, that's a Jaguar.

Researcher 2 - Where?

Researcher 1 - Right there.

Researcher 2 - I don't see any Jaguar.

Researcher 1 - It's right there, what are you stupid?

The above conversation was lifted from a bear sighting a few years ago by a few members of the board minus myself and Hnak since we rolled into camp after dark and could not see anything.

GTG
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/20/2009, 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is freaking sweet!!!
Suz

PostPosted: 2/20/2009, 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW! That's really cool.....and I'm really glad it's in Tucson.
threedogz

PostPosted: 2/20/2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a beautiful animal! Thanks for sharing!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 2/21/2009, 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
That is way cool! I can only imaging the researchers excitement at this discovery.

The discovery conversation might have gone something like this:

Researcher 1 - Hey look, we got a bea.. now we got a lion in the trap.

Researcher 2 - That's not a lion it's a bear.

Researcher 1 - That's not a bear, that's a Jaguar.

Researcher 2 - Where?

Researcher 1 - Right there.

Researcher 2 - I don't see any Jaguar.

Researcher 1 - It's right there, what are you stupid?

The above conversation was lifted from a bear sighting a few years ago by a few members of the board minus myself and Hnak since we rolled into camp after dark and could not see anything.

GTG

Yes, you and Hnak missed the sighting and all of the ensuing excitement, most of which was me as the butt of the jokes of those less optically endowed. Alas, everyone finally saw the beast yet my lone excitement of sighting first and trying to share with the less endowed still remains the big story. I don't believe I used the word "stupid". I think it might have been "idiot". There were however, several on this trek that held the scepter. One guy was eating grasshoppers (it wasn't John the baptist). Another fought with Agnes in his tent. I guess Agnes expelled some gas!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/21/2009, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is a beautiful animal to look at. Not to sure I'd wanna get really really close to the Kitty. But it is beautiful.

Guess I need to watch/read more about wildlife. I always thought jaguar's were only black and leopards wer spotted, but what do I know about them? Looks like not as much as I thought.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 2/21/2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some additional info on the jaguar which is named "Macho B".
It's a 118 lb male estimated to be 14-15 years old and has been photographed by trail cameras for 13 years now.

Here's a couple of subsequent articles about the "catch":
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/110611.php
http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/281183

Bill
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/3/2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sad news, he's dead.
Deborah

PostPosted: 3/3/2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The poor cat died of Renal Failure. Was he on his way out when they captured him? He was 13 years old which is a long life for a wild Jaguar.
My cat was 17 when he had to be euthunized due to Renal Failure.
I bet the stress of the capture hurried his illness along, as cat's do not faire well with stress. I moved my cat to a new apartment after living at the same place for 17 years and he was so stressed out he died about 3 weeks later. He just went downhill.

RIP Jaguar. You were the last of your kind as that stupid wall between us and Mexico will block anymore from coming in and out.

Did you know Jaguar's used to migrate as far as the Grand Canyon in Pioneer times?
Suz

PostPosted: 3/4/2009, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is really sad. It seems that there is a likely connection between the capture, collar, stress and death. I hope they revisit their protocol again.
Deborah

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AZ Game and Fish admit that the cat's kidney's were already shutting down when they captured Macho B. The sedative administered during the capture did the rest of the work to continue shutting down his kidneys.
A memorial service was held today outside of Game and Fish here in Tucson.
Michael Robinson -Center of Biological Diversity said " Macho B epitomized the majestic but fragile nature of our Southwestern Ecosystem. By speaking out for Macho after he is gone, we fervently hope that our mountains and deserts can still be home for his kin for decades and centuries into the future."
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/2/2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Report: Jaguar wasn't caught 'inadvertently' Reply to topic Reply with quote

There have been reports lately that the cat wasn't suffering from kidney issues but might just have been dehydrated at the time of euthanization.

This story is turning into a whole mess of tales of idiocy......

From today's AZ Republic -
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/04/02/20090402collared-jaguar0402-ON.html
Quote:

Report: Jaguar wasn't caught 'inadvertently'
Apr. 2, 2009 04:49 PM
Associated Press
TUCSON - A newspaper report shows that an Arizona Game and Fish employee and a biologist with a jaguar detection group apparently planned to trap one of the rare cats and that a volunteer spread scent to attract it to a snare.

Game and Fish has repeatedly characterized the capture as "inadvertent." The male cat was euthanized less than two weeks after its Feb. 18 capture and subsequent release with a tracking collar fitted, and the case is now being investigated by the Arizona Attorney General's Office.

The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson interviewed a volunteer who worked with the state worker and the biologist. She acknowledged spreading the scent that the Borderlands Jaguar Detection Project obtained from the Phoenix and Tucson zoos.
E-mails obtained by the paper from Game and Fish and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service show that the biologist with the Borderlands group also obtained a tracking collar for the cat before it was captured, consulted with veterinarians on tranquilizer dosages for jaguars and included the Game and Fish employee in her communications.

Borderlands volunteer Janay Brun told the Star that she put the female jaguar scent at the site of the trap two weeks before the cat known as Macho B was snared. The cat was released, but later tracking showed it was showing signs of poor health and he was recaptured and then euthanized.

Brun, 37, of Arivaca, said she spoke to the Star because she thinks she helped cause the death of Macho B. "That jaguar meant a lot to me, and the fact that I mindlessly participated in this - it's a regret I'll have for the rest of my life."

She said she put the scent out in the presence of a state Game and Fish employee and Emil McCain, a biologist for the project. Brun alleges that McCain told her to place the scat at the site.

McCain denied having told Brun to place jaguar scat at the snare site and said he didn't know that she had done it.

"I'm extremely shocked that she would have said that or put scat in that snare," McCain said. "That snare was obviously for mountain lion and bear purposes, not for jaguar research."

But in a series of e-mail obtained by the Star, McCain and the Game and Fish employee received advice on how to tranquilize a jaguar, McCain thanks a collar company for sending the jaguar tracking device, and McCain wrote to the Game and Fish employee and a collar company worker about plans for keeping the device turned on.

"At this point I think that for the week long trapping periods in the area where we may capture a jag, I think we should leave that collar (turned) on," McCain wrote on Feb. 13. "Especailly (sic) given the remmoteness (sic) of the area, the lack of internet or phone access and the once in a lifetime change (sic) to collar a AZ jag, I think it is prudent to be 100 (percent) sure the collar is on."

The Star didn't identify the state employee because he couldn't be reached for comment.

An Arizona Game and Fish spokesman didn't immediately return a call seeking comment on Thursday.

The largest cats native to the Western hemisphere live primarily in Mexico and South America. But they're known to roam in southern Arizona and New Mexico, and the February capture was the first in Arizona.

Earlier this week, a federal judge in Tucson ruled that a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decision not to designate critical habitat and develop a recovery plan for the endangered jaguar was based on incorrect criteria.

GTG
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's see if I've got the major thrust of the thought process:

1) Let's capture Macho B,
2) We'll bait a trap specifically for this one AZ Jaguar,
3) Oh Great! We caught him! Let's collar him and let him go.
4) Hey, he's acting a little disoriented and may be having problems.
5) Let's KILL HIM!!

Am I missing something here? Even if the animal was having problems, why kill him? Are they afraid he'd go postal on someone? Or could it be that they wanted their 15 minutes of fame? Hopefully the government guy will get 15 years to think about what an idiot he is!!!
Suz

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is really sad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: