ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Do you know a great nature writer among us?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 2:57 am    Post subject: Do you know a great nature writer among us? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Many people take a lot of time to write about their experiences in nature but do we acknowledge the time and effort they put into it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth is published and Letty should be.......

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, but I don't consider myself "great." More of a part-time free-lance hacker. I suppose if I really put my mind to it I could wax poetic.

But then I'd have wax all over the place and would have to clean it up. And you all know how I feel about housework!

Mr. Green
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

check out my blog at www.sahcinfo.org.
I am the only one writing for Southern Arizona Hiking Club.
Spelling and grammar are horrible, but I think I have good content!
I try to keep things interesting on the website. LOL
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Inspiration of nature in writing... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check their writing out.

I'm writing a paper on the inspiration of nature in writing and it's interesting to me to see what people write about and what catches their attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Waxing poetic... Reply to topic Reply with quote

At least the wax helps you slide faster in the snow...

Do you ever post your poetry?

I'm a new member and am interested in what inspires people to write as they are in nature. Like, who do they consider their audience is, for instance.

Like, does it help you remember the experience in a special way?

Like, do you write according to a certain form, or just make the form up as you go?

Stuff like that...
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tired your website...got this message:

Bad Request - Invalid Hostname

HTTP Error 400. The request hostname is invalid.

I'd like to see your writing sometime and to know what inspires you to write.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That website would be valid if you typed it up yourself, don't click on the link. She did enter it incorrectly, as she has put a period after "org."

I used to write poetry when I was a teenager. My family (siblings, nieces, etc.) is big on that stuff but I prefer to read prose. As for writing, I wasn't kidding, I hack out free lance articles about hiking and other non-motorized sports. I have written for a small newspaper, but now I write for a local White Mountains magazine. You can find an example here, look for my article by page numbers 16, 17 and 18 on the sidebar, you will probably have to click on one page, then go back to the sidebar, find the next page, etc.

http://www.wmicentral.com/site/dav.cfm?brd=2264&dept_id=624481&pag=1027&ssid=16572

My eventual goal, if I ever will discipline myself to take the time to do it, is to try to get an article in Backpacker or Arizona Highways, or similar large-circulation magazine. It is almost entirely mercenary, I must admit. I won't do it if I don't get paid. And those magazines pay a dollar a word, as compared to 50 bucks for the whole article with photos in WM Outdoors.

At first it was kind of a thrill to see myself in print. Also, a few people in my community (Eagar/Springerville, AZ) come up to me occasionally and say, "Hey, I saw your article." Now the thrill has worn off a little, though.

But you have to realize, that sad as it may seem, most people don't read for pleasure. They watch TV.

They don't read the paper, they don't read books and they don't read magazines except at the doctor's office. And they can't write worth beans--either because they refuse to proofread carefully, or because they never learned those skills in school. And since they don't read, they aren't able to gain some knowledge of English via reading.

I have enjoyed reading some of the Southwest's outdoors and writers, such as Edward Abbey, Terry Tempest Williams, Charles Bowden, Ann Zwinger, and a whole host of others. I have a pretty good collection of non-fiction outdoor literature. I also read and collect books about Alaska, and and about hiking long trails, such as the PCT, AT, etc. I have read sailing solo around the world books, canoeing the Yukon books, etc., etc. And it seems that everyone who has ever built a cabin in Alaska has written a book about it. Some of those books are surprisingly good.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

They don't read the paper, they don't read books and they don't read magazines except at the doctor's office. And they can't write worth beans--either because they refuse to proofread carefully, or because they never learned those skills in school. And since they don't read, they aren't able to gain some knowledge of English via reading.

That's a mouthful! When we hire people, writing skills are so much more important than they reailze. If they only knew when they're sitting there in their Wink Freshman and Junior English classes how important writing is, they'd never skip class. But I don't know that everyone can learn it, it takes a passion.
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

www.sahcinfo.org
Yes, I like to write , kind of a diary of my experiences outside, but I never paid attention in English class unless we were studing Shakesphere or some other great writer.
I read alot behind my textbooks, and math is even worse than my spelling and punctuation.

I LOVE TO READ!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Spelling is an aptitude, it has to do with the way certain people see words on the page. Some people see whole words, others have something of a photographic memory for the words, the order of the letters. So that's why you can be very literate and well-read, but still not be a good speller. But, as long as you use spell-check, and watch out for homonyms, such as they're, their, there, your, you're, its, it's, etc., you can do okay, I think.

I think the word "definite" is the most misspelled one I have seen lately on forums, in addition to you're and your, and its and it's. Everyone seems to want to spell it "definate."

As for what you said, Shawn, I have to say I have had only one job where anyone cared if I could spell or write. I was for a very short time a secretary for the county. I don't know why I failed at that, but I did. But at most jobs people do not care at all about me or my spelling. Which is one of the many reasons why I intensely hate, loathe and despise working at jobs so very much and wish I could retire right now, because out there in the workaday world people don't care who you really are. I go to work every day with a bad feeling in my gut, I hate being there and can't wait to go home, and can't wait for the weekend.

I have a job right now where I do get some respect, but I still hate it. (I'm an aide in a classroom for emotionally handicapped middle school kids.) I'm giving notice on Tuesday, and I'm going to take my toys and go home, literally!
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Sense of Yuma... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought your article had an easy flow to it. When you kayaked, did you try the rollover just for practice? That scares me a little. I haven't kayaked yet.

Will be looking forward to a Spring trip to hot springs area near the Hoover Dam with my sweety.

You make Yuma sound like a versatile little town. Another place I haven't been, yet.

Congratulations on your published work!

It will be interesting to hear one day of your 100 mile trip!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't try the rollover, because the class used sit-on-top kayaks. For that type and also for the type my husband and I recently bought, which is a tandem recreational kayak with a large open cockpit, you don't need to learn the roll.

I do also own a whitewater kayak, but haven't used it yet. I finally have found an instructor in Mesa. In case any of you have been looking for one, there is a list on www.canyonsandcoastlines.com The whitewater boat is a tight fit, you sort of "wear" the boat, and you have to learn the roll and other techniques. This teacher starts you out in his own pool with the roll and other techniques, then takes you to the lower Salt river for some easy Class 1 and 2.

Most people in AZ seem to do the recreational kayaking on quiet water, and they often use boats that don't require learning the roll. You can start learning this way, and take up more advanced techniques later on. That's what I've been doing. I'm having fun with it, too!

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding my article. Somewhere on this website there are links to some of the other ones.

I see you're from Kingman. I like that area. And you have a great place nearby for kayaking, as long as you go on a weekday or in winter, when there are fewer ski boats: The Topock Gorge! You start at Golden Shores and take out at Lake Havasu.
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

hate, loathe and despise working at jobs so very much and wish I could retire right now, because out there in the workaday world people don't care who you really are. I go to work every day with a bad feeling in my gut, I hate being there and can't wait to go home, and can't wait for the weekend.

I am right with you! I stay in my box at work as the school Health Assistant.
That is usually when I am writing my Blog for SAHC. I don't talk to many people during the day and when I do it's not " oh, how did your hike go?" That's why I love these websites. Other people that feel and think like me.
My job has respect ,but I still would rather be out breathing the fresh air, so usually the first thing I do when I get off is to throw on some hiking boots and get out to Sabino or other close by trailhead!
MerMuser

PostPosted: 2/14/2009, 8:12 pm    Post subject: High School Teaching experience of writing in nature... Reply to topic Reply with quote

That lack of passion is what I observe every day as a high school English teacher.

I recently took my sophomores and juniors outside to do a "Nature Walk."

They were to jot down what they noticed with their 5 senses, draw a natural object, and bring a small natural object into the room to write about.

I think they enjoyed themselves, even though they thought it was elementary and esoteric.

They were to write about how that natural object adapts to the elements to survive. Then write about how they are similar in ways they adapt to the elements, etc. Some interesting replies.

As far as spelling, grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary...we all have a lot of work to do, even at these grade levels. So, I can see what you mean if they were very inspired right now, they would be a more powerful presence when they get out in the work force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: