ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Keet Seel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) 7 slots left to register. (6) (0)
User
oliverr99
beckett
Tom Treks
Sande J
paintninaz
si na ti
wanderingsoul
Hnak
Shihiyea
User
Al_HikesAZ
CanyonGirlKelly
SpiderMonkey
desertgirl
PageRob
Randal Schulhauser
User
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lots of freaking water.
No gauges for Tsegi Canyon, but Page, Tuba, and Kayenta all report 3+ inches of rain in the last 24 hours. My guess is that Tsegi is flowing pretty hard.
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.anasaziinn.com/navajo_indian_reservation_cam.html
Tsegi Canyon from the highway. Looks like a decent flow...
oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I am back from the area. We decided not to backpack to Keet Seel. It rained the whole time we were there and we were afraid of the flow of water down in the canyon. Instead, we opted to do the tour to betatakin ruin. It rained on us on the way down, and out, stop and go. Nice trip though. The guide was a like a taxi, I think is what you said Michelle or Mary Wink
Sorry everyone if we did not get a chance to say good bye! My friends were itching to get back. Thanks for a great trip, and it was nice to meet you Ken and Mary! I hope you all had a safe trip home!
Suz

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry your original plan didn't work out. I think you guys probably made a good choice. I think the others are headed to Monument Valley. Did ya get any pictures?
oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did! I will post as soon as I can. I was so tired last night, and my back was hurting from sleeping in the car, that I went straight to bed.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YIKES! And I said you probably wouldn't need a tent! Well, at least you had the benefit of a forecast.

Hope you get to go back again. Betatakin is really neat, though.
Randal Schulhauser

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Feel kinda bad that the backpack to Keet Seel was a washout. Maybe another attempt will be organized soon... Smile
beckett

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're back! things didn't go as planned but the weekend was still full of fun and great friendship...we even got food in there somewhere! I'm heading to a shower. I'll let someone else fill in all the details including Monument Valley, Coal Mine Canyon, and some beautiful scenery!

Thanks Ken for setting up the weekend. As usual it was wonderful to see the ArizonaHiker family. Great meeting Mary and Anne's friends. Great catching up with many good friends.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking of you on your trip. Sorry, You didn't get to backpack, but I am sure it would have been crazy to do. Friday, Saturday, sunday, I hiked in Sedona. Friday , Saturday we got drenched with rain gear on! Lot's of flash flooding. I will post some of my pictures on the gallery. Lucky we had a nice warm condo to come back too and jacuzzi.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Although no backpacking in Keet Seel, I saw Betatakin for the first time and was impressed with that! I had a good time despite what seemed like constant rain meeting new people and hiking with others I have not seen in some time! Thanks Ken for setting this up! I wish for your sake it would have turned out a bit better, although I know you still had a good time!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AZHr's always have fun, even if we have to switch gears. Plan B, Monument Valley was an unexpected treat...the buttes were under clouds but after a wonderful lunch at Goulding's, the skies cleared enough for us to get the view from higher ground. I loved all the old west and John Wayne memoriabilia there...more confirmation that I was born in the wrong era! Coal Mine Canyon is actually quite unreal and I am thankful to Ken for introducing us to that.
This morning we all met up at First Water and hiked the Garden Valley Loop so Ken could get the full AZ experience of cold and rain one day and heat and sun the next. Laughing A stop at the Bluebird where Luis Jr. entertained all of us was just icing on the cake. Nice to see you all and get some hiking in after all!
Very Happy
oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/26/2009, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande, thanks for your help with my water!
beckett

PostPosted: 5/27/2009, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your pictures Anne. I'm glad you got one of our ranger...she was a little sweetie.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slightly delayed in posting, but it was a Great Weekend despite the rain. I had Fun!

The ruins were awesome, I just can't fathom how they built them so high up and with such precision. Hauling water to make motar to put between rocks. It must have been a hard life, farming below and hauling it all up to dry and store. And the fact it was so long ago. Contemplating time so long ago is just hard to comprehend. But it was so interesting to say the least.

Thanks Ken for setting up a wonderful Trip and weekend. Coal Mine Canyon was beautiful! Funny how these rock formations appear in an area where you'd never have expected them.

Dinosaur Tracks, Elephant Feet, Hidden Canyons, Ruins and even Finally hiking to Hackberry Spring (I've never been believe it or not)...

Good to see all again, meet some new and have a few laughs. Thank goodness for the Tarp ! It came in quite handy. Wow what a nice weekend!

Will work on sorting through pictures to post, so don't post all the same as others. I'll be waiting for Ken's Trip write up through his eyes. Really Neat trip!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry I'm so late posting on this... and a trip report will come eventually, but not until after I go camping with my son's Cub Scout pack this weekend!

While we didn't get to hike to Keet Seel, it turned out to be a wonderful (if wet!) weekend anyway! It was special for me mostly because I had the chance to spend time with friends that I haven't seen in a long while. Met some folks that I hadn't had the opportunity to meet before. And finally hiked with a couple of friends that had dodged me successfully up to that point! We crammed a LOT into the weekend and even had a bonus hike on Monday!

There was even a chance to have dinner with a couple of good friends on Monday night! (Mmm... that chicken was smoked to perfection!!)

Thank you all for allowing me to once again re-connect with our group and to build another weekend full of memories.

I'll be checking into another opportunity for Keet Seel for later in the year.

Just a teaser...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: