ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Keet Seel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) 7 slots left to register. (6) (0)
User
oliverr99
beckett
Tom Treks
Sande J
paintninaz
si na ti
wanderingsoul
Hnak
Shihiyea
User
Al_HikesAZ
CanyonGirlKelly
SpiderMonkey
desertgirl
PageRob
Randal Schulhauser
User
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 9:37 am    Post subject: Keet Seel Reply to topic Reply with quote

Keet Seel - May 22nd - 24th (optional 25th & 26th for hike to Betatakin)

This is a weekend backpacking trip to one of the most pristine ruin sites in the desert Southwest. Only 20 visitors per day are allowed to visit the ruins and must be led there by the ranger that stays on-site.

The hike down from Navajo National Monument NP is about 8 miles through some of the most beautiful country you'll find in Arizona.

The trail looks to be of "moderate" difficulty which, of course depends upon your ability.

You'll lose about 800 feet in elevation in the first 3/4 mile, which is good news on the way there, bad news on the way back! The rest of the hike out has about 400 feet of gain in one area, followed by a 300 foot descent and a slow incline of 400 feet the rest of the way to the site.

Here's the plan:

* Arrive Friday night.
* Pick a campsite in Sunset View campground (this one has a bathroom & water)
* Form up as a group on Saturday morning, 9:00AM sharp.
* Hike as a group to Keet Seel. We are all on 1 permit. We must hike together.
* Set up camp at the Keet Seel camping area.
* Take Ranger-led hike to ruins. They take small groups of 5-7 people at a time. It lasts for over an hour.
* Explore the area.
* Have our evening feast and improvised campfire (no actual fires permitted!).
* Brealfast feast Sunday morning.
* Form up as a group at 9:00AM for the hike back out.

For those staying Sunday night...
* When we return from Keet Seel Sunday, grab a campsite for the night.
* Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, go to the Visitor's center and sign up for the Ranger-led hike to Betatakin.
* Hike to the ruins.
* Have lunch on the way back.
* Hike out and drive home.

I suggest that participants get there Friday night and camp in one of the two FREE campgrounds. I have obtained the permit for 15 people for the hike to the ruins on Saturday morning. We must all hike with the group as we are all listed on the one permit.

You'll need to take all water with you that you'll require for the hike down, camping, and the hike out. There is a stream that runs through the valley but it's fouled by the cattle and sheep that roam the area. If you don't want to carry all of that water, you'll need to bring a good filter and some method of water purification.

There's a 15-person maximum for the May 23rd backpack and visit to the ruins. Please sign up early and be assured of a permit slot.

The only cost for the trip are your expenses to and from Navajo National Monument (carpooling strongly suggested) and your food.

There are 2 campgrounds in the park (sunset view-has bathroom/water, Canyon View-primitive); both of which are FREE! Since this is a 3-day weekend, why not stay over Sunday night and see Betatakin Monday?

Here's a link to the NP website for general information about the park : http://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Definately there!
This has been on my to see list for a long time!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ken -- I need to sort out a few things on my end before I can confirm. But I am interested for sure. I will register once I get that cleared up
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MY mother and I did that trip with the museum of northern az about 20 years ago--definitely worth it.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is this an actual commitment type registration type thread? Are you hiding a date some where that I didn't see? I voted on the poll.... just wondering what is up with this thread...

I want to shine!
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife and I are both interested in doing this, provided we don't get drawn for a rafting permit that weekend (will know early March). If we don't get drawn, count me in for sure.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's Memorial Day Weekend. The poll only netted a few votes and most were for that weekend. I'll update the itinerary to reflect that. Embarassed
oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am in. My last day of school is on May 22nd, half day. I can leave that afternoon. Are we staying just one night at Keet Seel? May I bring a friend?
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's open to anyone that wants to go that is able to make a 16 mile round-trip, somewhat strenuous hike over a 2-day period.

You can stay as many nights as you like. I'd recommend staying Sunday night and taking the trip down to Betatakin Monday morning. And again, the campground is free.
beckett

PostPosted: 2/5/2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will have to see how the end of the year goes at school. I would love to make this one if possible.

Are you going to fly in for the weekend Ken? It would be a shame if you missed your own hike!

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/6/2009, 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Count me in! I wanna be there!

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/6/2009, 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been unclear about a couple of things for this trip.

I'll reserve the permits for the group. YOU don't need to call out there for permits. I'm calling today and will try to reserve all 20 permits for Saturday, May 23rd.

The permit is only needed for the hike to Keet Seel, camping out there (if you choose to do so) and the visit to the ruins.

There's a separate Ranger-led hike down to the Betatakin ruins which doesn't require a permit, but you have to hike with the Ranger. All other hikes in the park are permit-free.

I'll also try to reserve some campground space and see if we can reserve the central fire ring.

If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/6/2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with the ranger at Navajo National Monument...

I could only get a permit for 15 people as 5 had already signed up since I last called.

We must hike as a group down to the Keet Seel area. The same when we hike out. We will be under one permit that's in my name.

When you get there Friday night, claim a campsite in the Sunset View campground. That's the one with the bathroom. There is no showering facility, but there is hot and cold water. I could have reserved the group campsite at the Canyon View campground but felt that most would rather be closer to the bathroom and water. If I get enough requests from those attending, I'll reserve the group campsite.

We cannot have a fire at any time, either in the campground or at Keet Seel. There is a fire-ring at the Sunset View campground that is used by the rangers for special programs at night but we are not allowed to use it.

I've limited the sign-up to 13 because PageRob said that his wife will attend and Oliver99 may bring a friend. Please let me know if you can't make the trip so that I can give those slots to someone else.

If the slots fill up, I'll keep a list of those on standby to fill vacated slots.

I'll keep you updated as things develop.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/6/2009, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really want to do this and Betatakin but can't do these dates. I got a great deal on paddling a raft down the Colorado River from 5/19 -5/28. There might still be a space or two on the rafts if anyone wants to PM me.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/6/2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might want to figure out some dates that you could go and just reserve your permits now, before the busy season starts. They allow visitors to both Keet Seel and Betatakin every day, but you have to reserve the dates you want or take a chance that you'll be out of luck when you get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: