ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Biggest Full Moon of the Year: Take 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/9/2009, 5:56 am    Post subject: Biggest Full Moon of the Year: Take 2 Reply to topic Reply with quote

From NASA's Science Site
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/08jan_bigmoon2009.htm
Quote:
January 8, 2009: When last month's full Moon rose over Florida, onlooker Raquel Stanton of Cocoa Beach realized that something was up.

"The Moon was stunningly gorgeous--and it looked bigger than usual!" she says. "My whole family noticed and watched in awe."

Like millions of others around the world, she had witnessed the biggest full Moon of 2008--a "perigee Moon," 14% wider and 30% brighter than lesser Moons she had seen before. "I'll never forget it."

Alert: It's about to happen again.

This Saturday night, Jan. 10th, another perigee Moon is coming. It's the biggest full Moon of 2009, almost identical to the one that impressed onlookers in Dec. 2008.

Above: The perigee full Moon of Dec. 2008. "The moon was very bright and BIG! Just watching it with my telescope was exciting enough, but I had to take this picture for the records," says photographer Ron Hodges of Midland, Texas.

Johannes Kepler explained the phenomenon 400 years ago. The Moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle; it is an ellipse, with one side 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other. Astronomers call the point of closest approach "perigee," and that is where the Moon will be this weekend.

Perigee full Moons come along once or twice a year. 2008 ended with one and now 2009 is beginning with another. It's the best kind of déjà vu for people who love the magic of a moonlit landscape.

January is a snowy month in the northern hemisphere, and the combination of snow + perigee moonlight is simply amazing. When the Moon soars overhead at midnight, the white terrain springs to life with a reflected glow that banishes night, yet is not the same as day. You can read a newspaper, ride a bike, write a letter, and at the same time count the stars overhead. It is an otherworldly experience that really must be sampled first hand.

Above: The perigee full of Dec. 2008. "A cold wind was blowing as the Moon set over a neighbor's farm," says photographer Eric Ingmundson of Sparta, Wisconsin. "Next time (Jan. 10th) I plan to use a tripod."

Another magic moment happens when the perigee Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. This weekend, why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset may seem so nearby, you catch yourself reaching out to touch it.

You won't be the only one. Even at perigee, the Moon is 360,000 km away, yet the distant beauty beckons to poets, stargazers and NASA with equal force: "Come back," it seems to say, "I'm really not so far away."

Anyone going to be out this weekend to get some good pictures?

GTG
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/9/2009, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This week I have been finally motivated and getting my self out for night walks again. I forgot how beautiful it is to be outside out night! No more watching TV when I get my rush from outdoor sights.
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/9/2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might head out on the rim trail tomorrow night and try and catch sunset on/moonrise over Navajo Mountain.
desert spirit

PostPosted: 1/14/2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wasn't it glorious? I went out to Saguaro East around midnight. It was so bright we could easily read the trail signs.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/14/2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Midnight? Don't you sleep? Wink

I saw it just after it clearned the horizon, wonderful!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Imppressive hike out on the desert with the moonlight, wished I would have followed it up with a hike in the woods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: