ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Christmas Loot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 7:23 am    Post subject: Christmas Loot! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tell us what cool thing or things you got for Christmas. Maybe from Santa, maybe from you to you......or maybe from someone else. Inquiring minds want to know!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, on Dec 20 Deanda and I went for a hot air balloon ride just off the Beeline. This was our present to ourselves for Christmas. We soared to just over 6000ft and could see the San Fransisco Peaks, Lake Pleasant, the steam plume from Palo Verde, and over a dozen golf corses. It was fun and ended with a champagne brunch. First time I've had alcohol before 11am in quite a while.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My kids were over yesterday with their significant others for a fine prime rib dinner and gift exchange. Everyone made out well, I got a heavy duty vacuum for the garage, which I had asked Santa for. And Zach helped with the final adjustments to setting up a wireless internet connection in the house for my new computer.

Now I need to get out of here, where I've been for four days, and work off a calorie or two.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Well, I still miss AZ a lot, but it was really awesome to have Christmas with my family, which I have not done in quite a few years. Also, we drove up to Cleveland on Christmas Eve to have Christmas with Liz's family which was a lot of fun!

Liz's parents got us an iPod (yeah, we're the last people on the planet to get one) and an adapter so we can use it in the car. My parents got us a Nintendo Wii, so that we won't be bored to tears when we're snowed in at home this winter. Most importantly, I got a 500GB external hard drive to store all of my photos, a new chef's knife, a Mountain Hardware Compressor jacket (it's blazing warm!), and some awesome flannel-lined pants for hiking in the winter, and a new winter hat. I bought myself some North Face Boundary II boots. They are insulated for comfort to -25 F and waterproof, but no more bulky than regular hiking boots. I haven't got this much stuff for Christmas in a long time. I felt like a kid this year! Plus, Liz and I bought everyone on our list super-cool stuff, so it was great! It's hard to believe the economy is down. You wouldn't know it with the Christmas I had.

Oh, and I got to go climbing with my brother which is like a whole other gift in and of itself! I love the holidays!

Oh, and I'm going hiking for 3 or 4 days over the New Year. We rented a cabin in the Hocking Hills area of Ohio which looks like a smaller Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. Sweet!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With great joy in my heart I spent this Christmas with Todd and my two children and their families! I have not had a Christmas with both of my children in ten years since my son left for the military.

Though I could not have asked for a more amazing gift I also received several cookbooks, multiple other small things and a GPS unit for my car that will talk to me and tell me where to go so as not to get lost!!!!! YAY!!!!!

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had many friends over at my house on Christmas Eve and both my parents there to share the joy. My best gift was the love and friendship I receive all year long form them and I need nothing more than that. But I did get a cool book on the history of the Southwest and some cool things to put into my daypack.

My gift to my parents this year (my Dad is now 83 and my Mom is 80) is to take them somewhere they have never been before so we are thinking of going on Lake Powell.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I finally got to meet my 6 month old nephew. He really is cute, and see my niece too. I had a wonderful holiday spending it with family. I mostly got money. My husband bought us a washer, so we are counting that as our Xmas gift, birthday, anniversary, valentine's, etc.
threedogz

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The thing that made my Christmas is being able to call my grandma and she is still happy and healthy. She lives in an assisted living home after breaking her hip a couple years ago. She lives with 5 other elderly women and the care takers who are the owners. That place rocks, I was able to visit there once and it is in a residential house so if feels like home to all of them.
PageRob

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had a good Christmas here with Ely's brother and fiance (and her family), along with Ely and her mom. Spent the weekend before Xmas in Tucson for early Christmas with her dad. Lots of neat stuff, heated boot liners, a new gun, a new iPod, lots of nice warm clothes for work, plus the great company and it was a white Christmas in Page! So couldn't ask for anything else.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/30/2008, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Spending Christmas with family is a wonderful thing. This year we spent a good portion of our Christmas day at the care facility with my Gma. She's doing well and we are very thankful for her health but her lack of mobility makes it impossible for us to bring her home....it also reminds us of how precious the ability to walk is....

This year I got a couple of things worth mentioning--
-2 magnifying glasses........to help me see tiny print better
-a black diamond big wall harness w/2 belay loops!!.......perhaps there is a "big wall" in my future Rolling Eyes
-a sparkly red grigri for safe belaying once the doc gives the okay to get back out there
-a shiny set of CAMP tri-cams with dyneema straps (which I have been trying out in the door tracks, the fireplace and vents)..........plus a few weight-bearing accessory biners.

**also got a pair of knitting needles and yarn from my parents
apparently they are trying to encourage a NEW hobby.

Worth mentioning--the ultimate in romantic gifts---my father bought my mother an M-11... Silly
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/30/2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

**also got a pair of knitting needles and yarn from my parents
apparently they are trying to encourage a NEW hobby.

You must not have metioned your ongoing interest in quilting to them I would guess.....

I want to shine!
si na ti

PostPosted: 12/30/2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Two of my children were able to take leave so with the exception of one I had all my children and grandchildren here for the day. What more does a mother need?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: