ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 Hiking Goals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverr99

PostPosted: 8/17/2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I backpacked at least once a month, or did something related to hiking and camping. I did not do anything this month because I was sick. I want to continue my goal through next year!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 8/17/2009, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't complain, I very seldom make all my goals but this year I have done some new things, a little kayaking, caving has ramped up, and I've had some great backpacks. I've missed some old standbys--- I didn't go to the Cabeza Prieta, or Death Valley, and due to this heat and non monsoon will probably wait on the Galiuros. Utah and Wyoming were awesome, as was and is the Gila.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/18/2009, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rayhiker wrote:
I'm just about ready to stop making hiking goals

I am working all the time, but managing to stay pretty fit with biking and hiking before and after work, and on the odd days off, plus I bike to work and to run errands. I didn't make goals, and haven't been backpacking in months. Well, I did make a couple of goals, but haven't had time to realize them. I figured if I had no gas money and very few days off I would try to do a 20 mile dayhike from home and a 100 mile road bike ride, and a long mtn. bike ride. I did do a 30+ miles mtn. bike ride a couple weekends ago, which was very fun. And I did leave from my front door to do it, too. There are a couple other big mtn. bike loops I may try to do if I have the time, but right now it looks as though I will be working 7 days a week for the next month. Hopefully I'll get a Sat. or Sun. off at some point, though!
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well as far as goals, we hikers have a big wish list! I know I did several hikes this year that came up that were on a large scale wish list that I didn't post on my AZ hikers wish list. I did go to Sedona and do a couple of really pretty hikes there, and I got to Alberta, Canada and got out into Kannanaski's Country. I was by myself and didn't want to encounter a Grizzley so after seeing a large paw print in the mud turned around so I didn't hike far. Another fun thing I did was to hike Wet Beaver with AZhikers back in June. That was great!
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of my longer term goals is to hike to the summit of Mt. Wrightson 100 times. So far this month I've done #46, 47, & 48 and hope to do #49 on Saturday and #50 on Tuesday. My 2009 goal is to get to #59 by the end of the year so I can do #60 on my 60th birthday in January.

Sooooo, if anybody out there wants to hike up Mt. Wrightson I'm always looking for partners. BTW, late September/early October is an excellent time due to the massive wildflower displays throughout the Florida burn area.

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just try to keep trips plans a month out. Make any plans futher out and my co-workers who are mostly hunters seem to get drawn. We are allowed only two folk off per shift. Same during the school vacation, co-workers that have families seemto change at the last minute. This year I have to modify my trip plan while in the field due to a search (it was not me they were looking for), body recovery, smoke from wildfire and law enforcement activities. So I include alternatives in my trips and include them with my plan that I leave with some one. I make trip plans ahead of time for length of stay and type of activity, just no date. I select on of the trip plans just before I leave.
rayhiker

PostPosted: 12/27/2009, 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How did everyone do this year in accomplishing their hiking goals? With my bad ankle since May, I can only claim 4/10 done (if you can count my partially completed AMC course -- and substitute Parker Canyon for Salome Jug).

My highlights:
* Completed Tonto Trail segments between Tanner & Boucher! (still 3 segments left to complete Elves Chasm to Little Colorado)
* Adventure in Egypt, Jordan, and Israel
* Summitted Four Peaks finally -- 21 years after first attempt!
* Went canyoneering -- rappelled 80 foot waterfall
* Petrified Forest hiking tour
* Yellowstone visit whetted my appetite for backpacking the Beartooths
* Geology class completed -- now I'll understand all that beauty even more
* Hopefully, a trip to Costa Rica (this week!)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/27/2009, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You'll love Costa Rica. Pura vida!

Hey, I want to take a geology class too! I would have already, but you have to drive to Show Low for the labs. They do have the lectures on video, but the labs are required as well. And there are field trips--that would be the best part.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/28/2009, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am hoping to continue my goal, just keep hiking and having fun!
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 12/28/2009, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I made it to #61 in my quest for 100 Wrightson summits at some future point. I'm in no particular hurry and my goal for 2010 is one Wrightson summit per month. Here's a shot of me celebrating #60 at the rime-iced summit on December 01:

...and a few other shots of the rime ice at Baldy Saddle and above:

...just another crummy day in the Sonoran Desert!

Bill
Deborah

PostPosted: 12/28/2009, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Picture Bill, Congrats on all your summits. My goal would be to get up there once in 2010 since I haven't been to the top in along time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: