ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) (3) (1)
User
desertgirl
Shawn
GTG
windymesa
paintninaz
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
outside1
azhiker96
User
Davis2001R6
jdahling
aspen_oaks
User
threedogz
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack Reply to topic Reply with quote

Come backpack the Mazatzal Divide Trail - the premier hike in the Mazatzal Wilderness. This trail stays on or near the crest for its entire run from Mt Peely TH to City CreeK. This also forms Passage #23 on the Arizona Trail!

When: March 27 Friday - March 29 Sunday. We will be leaving at 9:00 am from My Peeley TH. Shawn, Ambika, Dave will be camping at the TH.

Rating: Strenuous. Long miles (~ 28 miles) , sketchy sesaonal water, 3600ft elevation gain with rolling elevation profile.

Trip Leads: desertgirl & Shawn. This will be a loosely organized group of Solo Hikers... So you need to do your homework, know the details and assess your abilities before you sign up.

Details: This will be a shuttle hike with 2 nights on the trail. We will be camping at 6000ft + elevation. Water should be generally availaable along the trail at the different springs/seeps. 2 vehicles (Shawn/Ambika) will be staged at the City Creek TH for shuttle back to Mt Peeley TH.

Trail Information:
AZT Passage Info: http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_23.html

Dayhikes: There are options for some loop day hikes and for joining in partways. Access to the Divide trail is possible via Y Basin #44 (6 miles); Barnhardt #43 (6.2 miles); Rock Creek #42 (3.3 miles)
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn I believe you have done AZT work on this trail and can comment on the difficult route finding. From Mt. Peeley trailhead the route is easily distinguished and then it becomes faint for a while after Mt. Catherine down to Bear Saddle.
From there, it is an overgrown New Mexico Locust and Gamble Oak free for all. I have cairned much of the route from this area to Windsor Spring (dry). After crossing Windsor saddle, once again more bushwhacking. From Barnhardt saddle the trail is easier to follow and when you get to the Sandy Saddle drainage the trail becomes harder to follow after you pass the Hopi spring area. From there north I have not put shoe to Earth so cannot give advice... but judging by this 20 mile section I just described it cant be any better. In other words, if you have not been to this area before, you better take a "guide". Like Shawn!
water wont be an issue in March
If I go, allow me to offer this advice: camp night one at Bear Saddle. Its spared from the Willow fire, has a flat area and nice Pondoes. (~10 miles - Spring nearby).
Night two camp at Hopi Spring.
Mt. Peeley trailhead does not require 4x4 unless snow/heavy rain. High clearance suggested by you can make it in stock.
City creek trailhead is easy to reach, but only parking for 2 cars. I'd take high clearance.

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ Thanks for the detailed info. Very Happy Hope you go with us!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know the AZT steward has been up there recently working on deadfall, and last I heard things were much improved. I will update that information and post it.

I spent my first solo overnight at Hopi Spring one January several years ago, very nice spot. I imagine it burned but don't know for sure.

The AZT recommends bailing off the AZT at "the Park" and going down the City Creek trail. The AZT north is supposedly pretty bad, guess we should get a work crew together and go fix it.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
The AZT recommends bailing off the AZT at "the Park" and going down the City Creek trail. The AZT north is supposedly pretty bad, guess we should get a work crew together and go fix it.

yes, i think it is but cant say for sure, havent done that northern section yet (but a North Peak hike is on the wish list)

also, some trivia: Mormons settled a town near the current Doll Baby Ranch along the East Verde river. It was dubbed "mazatzal city" and the current name of "city creek" is referring to that original settlement. The group left the area to found the town of Pine.

what i do
Shawn

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for any pioneer era history, ebay loves me. Just ordered two books on the Verde Valley.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok, im in!

just penciled it in on my brand new, kickass HAZ calendar - in which Ambika is a (deservedly so) feature photog Exclamation

what i do
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I signed up for thinking about it.... I have yet to test out my leg on a backpacking trip so don't know for sure but if my leg will do it I will do it! Sounds like lots of fun!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds like lots of fun and an area I've always wanted to check out...I've listed myself as 'thinking about it' until I can read up some more, do my homework, know the details and assess my abilities before committing. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shawn

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
. . . do my homework, know the details and assess my abilities before committing. Wink

It ain't rocket science ya know, but here's a refresher:

Hiking instructions:

1) Align nose with the trail.
2) Place either foot ahead of the other.
3) Repeat as necessary.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Hiking instructions:

3) Repeat as necessary.

A minor amendment
0) Locate trail. Very Happy
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Hiking instructions:

3) Repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tips, sounds pretty simple, but I had better practice a couple of times before March. Hiking

desertgirl wrote:

A minor amendment
0) Locate trail. Very Happy

Awww Rats! THAT's the problem I keep running into!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stating the obvious
Quick Alert: For those of you planning to schedule vacation days - This backpack will require Friday 27th March as a day off. We will be hiking that day ....
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/19/2008, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And I like to add....be able to hike higher altitude.
I am also thinking about this one, I need to get in better shape, besides an oval. I am not fast, but I can get the job done Rolling Eyes
beckett

PostPosted: 12/20/2008, 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will have to pass on this. I know my abilities. Be sure to take lots of pictures. So glad to see group hikes being planned!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: