ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Biggest Full Moon of the Year Friday 12 09 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Biggest Full Moon of the Year Friday 12 09 2008 Reply to topic Reply with quote

From NASA's Science site -
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/09dec_fullmoon.htm?list884230
Quote:
Biggest Full Moon of the Year
Dec. 9, 2008: No, you can not see Neil Armstrong's footprint. But go ahead and look: The full Moon of Dec. 12th is the biggest and brightest full Moon of the year.

It's no illusion. Some full Moons are genuinely larger than others and this Friday's is a whopper. Why? The Moon's orbit is an ellipse with one side 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other: diagram. In the language of astronomy, the two extremes are called "apogee" (far away) and "perigee" (nearby). On Dec. 12th, the Moon becomes full a scant 4 hours after reaching perigee, making it 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser full Moons we've seen earlier in 2008.

Above: In 2004, Greek amateur astronomer Anthony Ayiomamitis photographed an apogee Moon and a perigee Moon, and set the images side by side to show the difference.

A perigee Moon brings with it extra-high "perigean tides," but this is nothing to worry about, according to NOAA. In most places, lunar gravity at perigee pulls tide waters only a few centimeters (an inch or so) higher than usual. Local geography can amplify the effect to about 15 centimeters (six inches)--not exactly a great flood.

Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger, but can you actually tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon looks much like any other.

The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. On Friday, why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset may seem so nearby, you can almost reach out and touch it.

Will be worth the look for sure.
GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Moonrise: 5:23pm
Moonset: 7:32am

I will be in a plane over Cloudy Portland at moonrise Sad
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Clouds in Portland? That's just a nasty rumor about us up here.

You'll have the best seat in the house if you have a window seat on the correct side of the plane.

I guess the real question is which moon will be bigger... this one or Hooli's?
PageRob

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice! Maybe I can get some shots of moonrise over the Echo Cliffs with a whopper moon.
beckett

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm confused by the title of this thread. But I will be checking out the full moon this Friday!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/10/2008, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be on the road to Page this Friday night so will be sure to bring my tripod for some moonshots. Should be some great pictures with the Vermillion Cliffs in the background

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/11/2008, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had to check this out to make sure it wasn't another hoax, like that one that used to get sent around in emails, about Mars looking as big as the Moon! Anyway, thanks for posting this, will be sure to look.
PageRob

PostPosted: 12/11/2008, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
I'll be on the road to Page this Friday night so will be sure to bring my tripod for some moonshots. Should be some great pictures with the Vermillion Cliffs in the background

Mr. Green

Say howdy if you're going to be in the area and have some time!
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/11/2008, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Apogee>>>>>>>> Moon

Perigee>>>>>>>>>
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/11/2008, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:

I guess the real question is which moon will be bigger... this one or Hooli's?

Apogee>>>>>>>> Moon

Perigee>>>>>>>>>
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/12/2008, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kiss It!! So nah nah nah!

Amazingly enough, it's cloudy in Yuma. May not get to see it tonight.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/13/2008, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw it, it does look a little bigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: