ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Found Pack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 7:46 am    Post subject: Found Pack. Reply to topic Reply with quote

While hiking yesterday I saw a backpack with sleeping bag, pad, tent, and some miscellaneous stuff just off the Dutchman trail in Upper Black Top Mesa Pass. It looked like most of it was from Wallyworld. I'll post some pics in the album today. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'll pack it out and donate it to Goodwill. pack
second view
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Found Pack. Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
While hiking yesterday I saw a backpack with sleeping bag, pad, tent, and some miscellaneous stuff just off the Dutchman trail in Upper Black Top Mesa Pass. It looked like most of it was from Wallyworld. I'll post some pics in the album today. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'll pack it out and donate it to Goodwill. pack
second view

Oh that stuff is mine George, I left it out there because ai knew you would be passing by and bring it in for me.
Laughing
Thanks!
GTG
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That little tarantula looks just like the one I saw yesterday. The color is throwing me though. It was very black compared to the adults found in the area.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd, I would have brought it in if I'd known it was yours. I didn't see any critters around it and every story I've heard about your gear or gear on your hikes involves critters. I'll take some Mountain House ringtail bait when I head back out just so you'll have a surprise inside!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sad that someone left there stuff, even if it looks rather heavy... at least to me. Nice of you to be willing to pick it up for GTG, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Laughing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just wish I could learn the story on this one. Probably someone who was tired, maybe low on water, and figured that gear could be replaced. If the gear could talk, what a story it could tell!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We found some similar gear on Nankoweap several years ago, we looked around for the body, but didn't find one. If it had been better gear, or closer to the TH, maybe I would have carried it out. Something like this makes you wonder tho.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2008, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That gear just remined me of "another" or was it "other" ?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another

I want to shine!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A few years ago, my buddy Mike and I found a full pack in the middle of the Escalante Route in the Grand Canyon. It was on the trail at the part I call the "Steep Slope Traverses". Anyway, the water bladder hose had been chewed by mice, so we knew it had been there a few days. It was at least 10 miles in any direction to civilization. We started thinking that perhaps the owner got dehydrated and desperately tried to descend a steep ravine to the river. We "looked" the best we could without putting ourselves in any more danger than we were already in, but we saw nobody. The next day, we went to the Backcountry Office as soon as we exited the Tanner Trail. Turns out the owner did get really dehydrated and had to be rescued a few days prior to us being there. They helicoptered him out, but made him leave the pack. They said they were meaning to send a ranger down there to get it. At least everything turned out OK.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Found Pack. Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
While hiking yesterday I saw a backpack with sleeping bag, pad, tent, and some miscellaneous stuff just off the Dutchman trail in Upper Black Top Mesa Pass. It looked like most of it was from Wallyworld. I'll post some pics in the album today. If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'll pack it out and donate it to Goodwill.

George,

If you haul it out, I'll get it to a scout leader who uses it for kids who need gear. This fellow is in Las Vegas and he leads hikes for his church scouting group. I channel any excess prizes I pick up at volunteer event raffles or stuff I don't need anymore to him.

Guess if I had the ambition and location I could go get it myself 'eh?
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/21/2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn, if it's there when I return I'll send you a note. It's not great gear but it's better than no gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: