ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Would you like a political forum here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should There Be A Political Forum Here?
Yes!
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
No!
84%
 84%  [ 39 ]
Yes, I have Ideas for multiple discussion forums!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 6:00 am    Post subject: Would you like a political forum here? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I am considering an addition to the site of a political-type forum. It would probably be hidden from general member view and would be a forum that would require granted permission to view/post. There seems to be a divided set here as members. Some of you want no part of such things and some of you want to discuss such things and some of you want to don your asbestos long johns and flame away. If there is enough interest, I may consider creating such a forum but I do so with great hesitation. I remeber discussions of firearms and nude hiking being a major downfall of another popular hiking site years ago. If I did create such a forum, it would have to be closely monitored by a dedicated set of moderators. Not someone who visits once a week or month, but daily, multiple times per day.

So post your coments fer and agin and we'll go from there.

GTG
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 7:18 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I voted "No" because we actually quite rarely discuss politics in this community, at least in the last few years. While it happens, even many of the political threads are carried to completion without a Chernobyl incident. I do believe that those that become radioactive and feel the need to vilify others should be sent a terse PM by an administrator and if the post is VERY offensive, it should be deleted. Repeated offenses by the same person would result in the person being ejected from the site.

Having a hidden forum specifically for this type of thing is a giving tacit permission to be rude and officious. Not really what THIS community prides itself in.
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 7:27 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Nah..... and it would seem that others feel similarly... it would be just arguing about everyone's opinions (in my opinion.. Wink ), but to each, his own...
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 8:07 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I voted yes. Let me explain why. I do not necessarily want to take part in political discussions but there are clearly some people on here who do. Including you Ken. There are also people on here who just don't want to have these conversations on here to have to deal with or navigate around.

I feel that to have a section available on here that is not open to the general public to have to deal with gives every one what they need. If you don't want to deal with said posts at all then don't sign up and they will not even be available for you to see. If you do want to have said conversations then sign up and you are free to discuss what you want when you want and not have to worry about offending those who do not want the boards littered with political threads.

I do feel it needs to be an all or nothing kind of thing. If it is decided there will not be a political section then keep political topics off the board completely. There are clearly two sides to this issue and both sides are adamant about their feelings. This solution respects both sides. I am not sure about the moderating part.... if you can not get a moderator who wants to spend that much time devoted to looking at the site then are you going to totally rule the idea out?

I want to shine!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 8:34 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I voted no because I voted no.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 8:41 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

If we decide that we don't want a separate political forum, and then we were straight-jacketed as to what we could talk about, we really don't have a community where the free flow of ideas and discussion is valued. What's next after anything having to do with "politics" is banned?

And yes, I DO post during political discussions. But I don't think that I've been disrespectful to anyone. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If this is to become a "Club" where only like-minded individuals are allowed to post their thoughts, it will be a very boring and lonely club I fear. I don't think that I'd want to belong to that "Club" (or maybe I already don't and just haven't been notified!!).
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 9:17 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I voted yes, but I think there is too much sensitivity here and its not worth hurting someones feelings.

We can go to places like this and voice our opinions...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 9:52 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
(or maybe I already don't and just haven't been told explicitely!!).

Honestly! Only reason why I used your name is because you have already posted on this thread with a negative answer and I was surprised that you would obect to the idea. This idea was not meant to devide the site it was meant to provide a place for those who want to discuss these things a place to do so while allowing others who wish to avoid them to do just that. I thought it sounded like a win win situation. You can paint it any color you wish but if some one offers up a suggestion that can benefit both sides of an issue why split hairs and make something negative out of it?

I am going to withdrawl from further comment on this thread let the chips fall where they will.....

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 10:14 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Being an imperfect medium, sometimes a post fails to impart the spirit in which it was made. When I wrote the part that you quoted, I thought I was attempting to be amusing! I should have used a smiley-face! :>)
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 10:15 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I might add that the politics of national parks, trails, user fees is directly related to hiking so these are exceptions. Kurt, cynhiker, often posts valid topics here and requests others to contact their representatives (at their own option) regarding issues that arise affecting our hiking welfare.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 11:08 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
Being an imperfect medium, sometimes a post fails to impart the spirit in which it was made.

THAT IS EXACTLY the reason I don’t think politics should be discussed here!

I don’t think most people TRY to be offensive or disrespectful, but interpretations of written words can be vastly different from one person to another, and something you write may not be disrespectful by intent but it may come across that way to someone else.

True, discussions of a political nature here did not reach Chernobyl incidence, but perhaps that’s because the topics were locked in a timely fashion to avoid such disaster. People have voiced their displeasure at mixing the topics of hiking and politics (not just now, go back and look to 4 years ago…we had the same complaints) and continuing to discuss such things in a free flow manner while knowing it bothers some people, in my opinion, shows a certain amount of disrespect to those people’s feelings.

Should you be able to discuss politics or whatever other hot topics you deem important? Sure, but there are other venues for doing so, such as the one Heidi offered. If you feel you’re being ousted by being asked to go there, you are being offered an option here to have a political section added to this site, and as Diane said, it seems win-win, so why the objection? B/c you think it opens the door to be rude and officious? What makes it any different than posting on the general open site (aside from the larger audience)?

Our common interest on this site is hiking, we all agree on that, it’s what brought us here in the first place (well that and the food Wink ) We all know we have a hard enough time staying on topic posting for any thread as it is, but I think we should try to stick to keeping our common interest, hiking, as the focus of our main site, politics belong elsewhere….with the exception as Joe pointed out, politics of national parks, trails, user fees directly related to hiking or other issues related to affecting our hiking welfare.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 11:11 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

We should continue to support discussions related to general activism / politics related to parks, access, user fees etc.

If we do have a "Politics" area -- it should be open to all and not moderated. Since its clearly in the area for politics - I should be ok with the opinions posted there. If I do not care for the content, I can choose not to click over there. That said a certain level of civility towards fellow-beings should be a must.

That said -- we are a community of hikers who come together to hike and pursue outdoor activities and some feasting from time to time! Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you like a political forum here? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I remember discussions of firearms and nude hiking being a major downfall of another popular hiking site years ago.

Are you talking about HAZ? Because we still talk about that stuff on HAZ and it seems to be ok. Sometimes it gets a little heated, but then it sort of dies down, then it pops up again. I think it's sort of fun.

However, if you are going to limit these topics, please do allow discussion of environmental issues, trail access, public lands, fees, non-motorized vs. motorized problems, and other issues pertinent to hiking and other outdoor pursuits.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

uh oh! Lock, lock!! (Joke)

This sure has been great for bringing a little life and passion out....until it started to TARGET specific people. I had fun following along for a bit even thought it was interesting. Then it got a little much so I just quit looking....and sent a PM suggesting a moderate get involved...if they decided to lock the thread...so be it....we have trusted them with this responsibility and they have handled it well. Honestly, I had no idea we had so many Republicans hiking Rolling Eyes

I think that people who want to speak their political mind or those that want to be grumpy are going to do it in any thread. It's up to the community to keep things in check and to watch out for each other. I think we do that well.

I do think Hooli did a nice job as moderator of trying to peacefully settle things and offer an alternative to carrying the conversation on privately. When he was ignored the topic was locked. That was absolutely the right thing to do. When the conversation was started in another thread...it was locked again. I think that was the right thing to do, too. I think he was working so fast to settle the situation and restore peace & goodness that he dislocated his elbow. And when a third and/or forth attempt was made.....locking it again was the right thing to do.

I'd be okay with whatever the group decides but I believe we should just keep things the way they are and maybe give Hooli a pay raise.
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 12:34 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I'd be okay with whatever the group decides but I believe we should just keep things the way they are and maybe give Hooli a pay raise.

I think that we should double his salary....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: