ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dome Valley Road Ride--the Green Leaf Lettuce Special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/8/2008, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Dome Valley Road Ride--the Green Leaf Lettuce Special Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lettuce take a ride around beautiful Dome Valley, a few miles northeast of Yuma. I bought a road bike recently, used, a Giant OCR3, in case you're interested. 43 cm. Yup, I'm little!

I could see the area of yesterday's hike as I tooled around the area with members of the Yuma Foothills Bicycle Club. We started down by I-8, rode up Hwy 95, then turned right on Dome Valley Rd., following it to Old Hwy 80. Back the same way. Total of 46 miles. Gorgeous day, light breeze. I'm working on my tan!

That's Muggins Mountain in the background. Hiked around it yesterday.

threedogz

PostPosted: 11/8/2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cool Elizabeth! Thats a nice road to bike on!

I just went out today biking on the 4 peaks road...never did that one before and I loved it! I can't wait to go back! It kicked my butt though and it was only 10 miles with lots of uphill climbs. I am finally getting back in shape for biking again, something I never had to do for hiking.

The problem with biking is I can't daydream and space out like I do when hiking, I have to stay focused or I will crash. No wonder you need a helmet for biking and not hiking...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do daydream and space out a little when I'm biking, if it's a fairly quiet road. This Dome Valley Road was quiet for awhile, but then people in pickups started passing by, heading for a sand rail race somewhere nearby, and then there were several groups of motorcyclists, and then there were farm trucks. There were tractors, too! The farmers seem friendly, they wave.

These people I'm riding with do several levels of rides, and there is something to choose from almost any day of the week. They have regularly scheduled rides on a calendar, plus extra ones they put together at the last minute. They are pretty much all older than I am, but some of them can kick butt! I seem to be able to keep up very well, though, so far. This morning my arms are tired but my legs are not.

I was looking in a guidebook about mountain biking. There is a long loop ride around the base of the Gilas I might do sometime. I'm hesitant to go mountain biking alone, though, so I am going to find out what level the guys from the bike club are riding. There's an area called Sugarloaf for mtn. biking, also.

I got a job--starts Monday. So I will have to see what days they work me. I'll be working noon to 8 in a grocery store, so I will have mornings to ride and hike.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a OCR1 in my bike fleet, Giant makes great bicycles.Christine Maxa has an excellent book, Cycling Arizona, your ride is listed in the book. Talk with your club about the Wells Fargo Century held across from you in Calif., think you will enjoy that event.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll put that book on my library list.

Quite a few folks in the club do attend various events and races, so I'll ask them about that one. I did find it on the internet. Apparently that Shadow Tour organization puts on several of them over there.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I rode another version of this yesterday with a gal pal. Leaving Foothills Blvd. we rode ON THE FREEWAY, I-8, up over Telegraph Pass and down the other side. There is a very wide shoulder along there, and bikes are legal. It really wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. As a hill, it also didn't compare to what I'm used to in the White Mountains! Piece of cake!

Taking the Dome Valley exit, we continued east on old Hwy. 80, then left on Dome Valley Road, passing all the pretty farms. We followed this all the way to Hwy. 95, then turned south and back to Foothills. About 37 miles.

Incidentally the freeway portion is a part of a once-popular 27-mile mountain bike ride called Gila Mountains Loop. Most of this loop is dirt (and sand). I would like to find someone to ride this loop with me sometime. However, I'm sure there are better mtn. bike rides around here! Sugarloaf, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: