ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Climbing at The Overlook in Flagstaff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 11/6/2008, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Climbing at The Overlook in Flagstaff Reply to topic Reply with quote

After graduating from our Basic Climbing class Tracy and I decided not to waste any time putting our new skills into practice. We decided to do an AMC sponsored outing the first weekend following our grad climb. Ambika would have joined us but had prior plans with her hubby. The AMC Instructors had encouraged us to keep climbing after the course ended so we didn’t “lose the momentum”. We picked The Overlook in Flagstaff as our first member only outing. It rained, go figure!

The Overlook is located 10 miles south of Flagstaff along Highway 89A. This area is blocky basalt crack climbing with a breathtaking view of Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. The Leader set up three ropes for about six different climbs. Routes were set up from 5.6 to 5.9. During the anchor building time gusty winds whipped around while fast moving clouds began to fill the canyon skies. We took a short walk on a path to the base of the climbs and geared up. I always make Tracy climb first and she doesn't seem to mind. She's turning into a regular Rock Star! (rumor has it that she will also be on the cover of the AMC Newsletter for December.) We each got about one climb in before the rain storm hit. We had a few great cracks of echoing thunder while on the rock. The clouds dropped into the canyon and solid sheets of rain came in waves until it was finally a steady downpour.Temps quickly dropped to the mid 40's. We were soaking wet and cold in no time. It wasn't a problem for us because thankfully we are very practice at both of those things. Climbing on wet ropes and slick rock with muddy shoes is just a bad combination so we had to call it quits about 3 hours early. We pulled and wrapped the ropes. Anchors were broken down quickly and we were at the cars in a short 5 minute walk.

We met some really fun outdoorsy people, got our gear cleaned up in the rain and shared a nice meal afterwards. (gotta love the food thing because this is another eating group!)

There are a few pictures posted in the gallery.......finding myself too busy to take many pictures at this stage in the game....but very happy with my waterproof/shock proof camera.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like fun, I am a wuss at climbing and only do it if I absolutely have to. Brian is a great coach but still have my heights issues; if I'm on rope I do better but still don't like looking down-- Neutral
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Coming from the person who can climb, crawl and slither through a pitch black cave Smile
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks to be a fun place .... Very Happy
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting pics... you appear to be enjoying yourselves
Diane will be out there one of these days with you. Even on hikes where Diane can get through she seems to find somewhere to climb.
Have fun with your newest hobby and stay safe. Looks like you've got experienced people to help you through. Enjoy !!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a fun trip, even if we did get rained out. thumbs up

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Looks like fun, I am a wuss at climbing and only do it if I absolutely have to. Brian is a great coach but still have my heights issues; if I'm on rope I do better but still don't like looking down-- Neutral

I avoid looking down whenever possible! The hardest part for me is when I get to the top and need to get lowered, I have a REALLY hard time letting go of the wall!! Eek

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
fritzski

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your outing leader Chris is one of my best friends/climbing partner/work mates. How'd he do?

He was so bummed about the weather. He's a fairly new outing leader and is really excited to do more which I think is great for AMC.

What did you think about those "old school" trad ratings at the Overlook? One of my favorite places to climb, but I have to knock everthing down a notch.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was Chris's first outing as a leader, and he did great!! He explained things as he was doing them (such as the anchoring) and provided suggestions for some of the tricky spots on the climbs. I know we all had a great time, despite the rain.

(btw, he was telling us how much he missed you, glad you guys talked! Wink )

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Which waterproof/shock proof camera do you have ?
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy....that is totally cool that you made the cover of the AMC. Have fun out there and hang on tight! Laughing
Suz

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Nighthiker.....
I have the Olympus Stylus 850SW in a lovely turquoise. Awesome for canyoneering....which I hope to be doing more of as soon as I finish this Anchors class. Wink
Suz

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:
Your outing leader Chris is one of my best friends/climbing partner/work mates. How'd he do?

He was so bummed about the weather. He's a fairly new outing leader and is really excited to do more which I think is great for AMC.

What did you think about those "old school" trad ratings at the Overlook? One of my favorite places to climb, but I have to knock everthing down a notch.

Hey Fritzki----
We saw your picture with Chris in the October AMC newsletter from your Tahoe Trip and made it a point to meet Chris during our class. We figured if he was good enough to be your climbing partner we should connect with him.

Chris is a good instructor. He's very calm and focused. I like that. He got up on the rock with me to help and offer multiple suggestions in challenging spots. He taught us a new technique or two that came in handy on this route. He was very prepared and hyper-organized while seeming relaxed about it all. He knew our climbing abilities and catered to our newbieness. He made sure we were confident with our climb before leaving us to watch the other folks. I'd go again with him in a heartbeat.....unfortunately he's only offering weekday things for awhile....might have to call in sick.

I did sneak out yesterday to play in the Magma Mine/Garden area! Laughing Multi Hiking Spinning Bouncing yoyo and had a REALLY awesome day(pictures after lunch with Gma) Climbed better, getting stronger, more relaxed while on the rock, got to clean a couple of routes(is that what you call it when you unclip after a lead climb?), learned to breakdown a climb/anchor, played confidently on a 5.8 all the way to the top, handled part of a 5.9...fading light and other climbers so I bailed.

The Praying Monk is on for Tuesday. Rolling Multi Multi Rolling
fritzski

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I did sneak out yesterday to play in the Magma Mine/Garden area! Laughing Multi Hiking Spinning Bouncing yoyo and had a REALLY awesome day(pictures after lunch with Gma) Climbed better, getting stronger, more relaxed while on the rock, got to clean a couple of routes(is that what you call it when you unclip after a lead climb?), learned to breakdown a climb/anchor, played confidently on a 5.8 all the way to the top, handled part of a 5.9...fading light and other climbers so I bailed.

The Praying Monk is on for Tuesday. Rolling Multi Multi Rolling

You'll love the Monk and may well find it to be a great candidate for your first lead someday as many do.

I think Chris will be out there too as leader at a climb west of the Monk called "3 Star Nightmare" (its not really, its actually way cool)

I'm planning on climbing QCC on Sat (probably the Pond area). The more the merrier - let me know if you're interested.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:
I'm planning on climbing QCC on Sat (probably the Pond area). The more the merrier - let me know if you're interested.

I'd love to do the Pond but we are all going to be in Prescott for the weekend(sat/sun) as a part of the Anchors class.

Perhaps we'll catch up with you on the rock another time soon.

We'll keep our eyes open for Chris but I believe our climb times will be significantly different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: