ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Try out your Basic Climbing Knowledge on this TEST
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Try out your Basic Climbing Knowledge on this TEST Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of our AMC instructors wrote this quiz and "roped" us into taking it. Try it, you'll like it!
http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-how-well-do-you-know-rock-climbing-basics-test
Tell us how you did!

If that was easy for you try the Advanced Level!
http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-how-well-do-you-know-rock-climbing-advanced-test
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there is a reason I don't lead trad. I scored a 44% on the first quiz.

Hmmm. Chin Scratching Actually, both links go to the "advanced" test. So I scored 44% on the "advanced" one. I've never even heard of some of those terms and I've been climbing and reading about climbing for 8 years. American Death Triangle? What is that?
Suz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Matt,
Go back and click on the beginning link but scroll down a little further to the button that says "get started". There is a link to the advanced test but go past that to find the get started one.

I didn't even peak at the advanced one, yet.

I got a 76% on the beginners test.
It's says I'm a Solid Basic Climber

76% BasicKnowledge!
You have climbed outside a few times and have a reasonable idea of what you are doing. You are not ready to organize any multi-pitch trips, but consider finding competent experienced climbers that will take you, and do some local bouldering with your friends. Get more training to take it to the next level.

We were told that it wasn't an open book test and there is no researching allowed. For once I followed the rules. Smile

American Death Triangle.....I looked it up for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_death_triangle
If you've never come across one apparently that's a good thing. They say it's a poor anchoring technique due to both the way the forces of the load are magnified on the fixed anchors and the lack of redundancy in the cord.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oooohhhh. I know what the death triangle is. Silly me. Yes, I have gone out of my way to avoid that scenario several times.

I only scored an 84% on the Basic quiz. I wish it showed you which ones you got wrong. How have I not killed myself yet?
Suz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have that info at home and can PM it to you.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

61% on the Beginner Test and I have no climbing training or experience.

GTG
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
I wish it showed you which ones you got wrong.

Suz wrote:
I have that info at home and can PM it to you.

I should have typed that differently. I didn't mean "you" as in you, Suz. I meant "you" as in me.
Yes, I am selfish like that.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, no, I understand and asked the author of the test for the same info after I took it. He sent me the answer key so you can go back to look and compare your selections to the correct answers. The test format didn't allow him to include that info.

I just wanted to rewrite the test so it aligned with our course........
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This looks like an endeavor where anything less than 100% is failure.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No---------Not the case at all. Lots to know but not all critical life or death stuff.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got a 66%. I don't supose that is too terribly bad, having not taken the class... dunno

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

84% for me too. I'd be interested in the correct answers...

Also, in question 6, she didn't look 'repelling' to me, but she was 'rappelling'... Wink (or should I have posted this on the 'spelling' thread???)
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Also, in question 6, she didn't look 'repelling' to me, but she was 'rappelling'... Wink (or should I have posted this on the 'spelling' thread???)

HA! I told him I should get extra points for finding that spelling error!! (but I couldn't remember what question it was to prove it Rolling Eyes )

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, there was another one.............I should get some bonus points, too.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Co workers been studing for a class, been reviewing the books from my class, Basic and Advanced Rockcraft by Royal Robbins and Practice Climbing by Larry Griffin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: