ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Spelling Guide to Arizona Place Names
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Pinaleno: pinya LAY no

I agree with AZBackpackr on all but this one. Pinaleño is pronounced
Peen a LAYN yo. The tilde is on the second n

One that I'm always careful with is Anasazi and Ancestral Puebloan. Anasazi is Diné bizaad that is disrespectul to the Hopi and Ancestral Puebloan is acceptable to the Hopi but will get you ostracized by Navajo (which itself is a disrespectul word the Tewa used to describe the Diné to the Spanish).

de Chelly is another one that has morphed. It's from tséghi' in Diné bizaad (which meant Canyon (literally rock + inside of)) translated through Spanish into English. I've heard it dih Shay, duh Shay day Shay and dee Shay. I guess take your pick. I pronounce it dih Shay but I have no clue.

Tuweep & Toroweap is the same Paiute word just translated differently.

There will be a pop quiz on this at next week's Arizona History class.
Índa'iiníísh Dóó Níwohji' Ádaa Áhólyá! This weekend, take care of yourself.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, i dont know what the Globe area has to do with the Salome, but if you read the mythology of the New Testament you will see where the pronuciation comes from. BTW, I was friends with the Grahams, sorry. Shocked
It was also pronounced sal-oh-may by Oscar Wilde in his "a tragedy in one act"

what i do
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
well, i dont know what the Globe area has to do with the Salome,
Globe was the gateway to the Sierra Ancha and mining exploration in that region.

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
but if you read the mythology of the New Testament you will see where the pronuciation comes from. BTW, I was friends with the Grahams, sorry. Shocked
It was also pronounced sal-oh-may by Oscar Wilde in his "a tragedy in one act"

I think that Salome Creek and Salome in La Paz County were both named for some folks with the family name Salome who were in mining and railroading. It had nothing to do with Biblical mythology or Oscar Wilde. And they pronounced their name Sah LOAM. Oscar Wilde translated his play into English in 1894. I'm not sure Oscar Wilde had written his play when these places were named.

Good thing you weren't too close to the Grahams. The Grahams that feuded with the Tewksburys were exterminated. Angie Tewksbury was a next door neighbor and close friend of some of my relatives (the Caceletto clan) and was mayor of Globe.

ps In Wikipedia Salome seems to be the preferred pronounciation and Salomé the secondary pronunciation
"Salome or Salomé (Greek Σαλωμη) the Daughter of Herodias. . ."
Why would the pronunciation be more French than Aramaic or Semitic?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PINALENOS: I don't know how to do the tilde on my keyboard! And you are right. I had to look through several guidebooks to find a reference that included the tilde on the second "n."

MOUNT HUETHAWALI: Bingo!! I do have a spelling and pronunciation for Mount Huethawali. Found the spelling on my big GC map just now. (We talked about climbing it a year ago when we camped next to it, but we wussed out.) Anyway, best info I have says it's pronounced something like "wahth WALLy." Only 3 syllables, you don't pronounce the "a" in the middle. (While we're giving nicknames, you could call it Wally for short!) So it's another one that isn't pronounced like it's spelled.

SALOME and CHARLEBOIS: I had never heard Salome called "Sal o MAY" either. I did know you are supposed to say "Charley Boy" Spring, even though I took two semesters of French about 100 years ago and I can approximate the correct original French pronunciation of Charlebois. "Sharl BWAH," in case you are interested. I think it's fun to say it both ways, but then, I just am a lover of language.

HOHOKAM: Another one I used to mispronounce until my sister called me on it was "Hohokam." She explained why it was wrong that I was saying "ho ho KAHM." She says the Native Americans say "Ho HOH kum" and they should know better than we do, seeing as it is a word in their language, which they still speak. She makes a study of anthropology, so I believe her. She also indicated that only Yuppie newbie non-natives say "ho ho KAHM." Sort of like your "Sal o MAY??"

I am moving to Yuma tomorrow, just for the winter, so I will keep my ears peeled for new and interesting place names! I will be off line until Monday or Tuesday, just as soon as I take this computer apart and put it in the car. I might set up the old dinosaur computer here, but might not take the time, also. I hate moving, but I'm so excited about this new adventure. (Which will include job hunting! Yikes!) And I will have high speed DSL there! Yippee!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok, i have found little description after a long search for any current evidence to support the pronunciation. So, you can call it Shalom and I can call it Salami. Those will be our 'nod, nod, wink wink' passwords from here on out for when I see you on the trails! Mr. Green

next on the list:
Javelina
pronounced "peccary"

liz, the ñ is alt + 0241 on my keyboard
and I agree its Pena Layn-yo

what i do
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I spent some bucks on a copy of "X Marks the Spot, Historical Place Names in Arizona" by Byrd Howell Granger. It lists two different pronunciations for Salome Creek, but I don't believe we have the text capabilities here to replicate them. It does give a couple different stories as to the origin of the name.

This book is said by some to be "the" authority on names, but I guess that is in the eyes of the reader. Lots of interesting stories in it tho.

(I have to be careful with this book, opening in can lead to hours of browsing.)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

n n241 n n nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n0241 nnnnnnnnn
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, as you can see either it doesn't work on mine or I don't know how to use the alt button. I used to have an old mac that was very easy to make the "enya" with.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hold the alt button down while you press 0241 then release alt button

here's a couple more I like (so you dont have to type "degrees") you can do alt + 0176

55°

or, if you love me like I know you do, you can type alt + 3

♥♥♥♥♥

another good one.. alt + 0162 so you dont have to type "$0.02"
it comes out as

well, thats my 2¢ worth!

what i do
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

94¢ Hey it works, wow, the things you learn!

93° Temp outside

This is fun!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to try it:
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/1/2008, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Doesn't work on this old dinosaur. Or maybe it's the dinosaur who's doing the work! Rolling Eyes
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/2/2008, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So let's sum up the gist (pronounced jist) of this thread:

Spelling guide - OK as long as you actually care if you spell correctly, can actually hit all the keys you mean to hit as you type, can use the ALT key effectively??? But already too many pages to scan to find a particular spelling...

Pronunciation guide - about the same as Wikipedia, where anyone can submit a word, a definition, a pronunciation and it becomes truth by consensus??

Isn't the internet fun? Try Google-ing a misspelling and see how many hits you get, it's abominable... So my question is this... What, or who, is the authority on spelling? On pronunciation? Is it Merriam-Webster?? Is it Britannica?? I think Ken is right...

Rosalia de Castro
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 11/2/2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lzyboy wrote:
. . .Pronunciation guide - about the same as Wikipedia, where anyone can submit a word, a definition, a pronunciation and it becomes truth by consensus??

Shawn nailed it on pronunciation. The book he has is the definitive source. Will Barnes spent a couple of decades interviewing old timers and published the book in 1935. Granger edited and updated the book and University of Arizona press published it in 1960. A book that has survived rigorous academic vetting is more trustworthy than consensus on the internet.

With many of our place names based on Native American and Spanish words, the pronunciation is difficult. With the rapid growth in population, many people weren't familiar with the original pronunciation and create new pronunciations with which some of us long-time Arizonans take issue.

If people started pronouncing it "RAY vis ranch" I would strive to correct them. Fortunately Elijah Reavis spelled his name Reevis and Reavis, so his spelling differences help to establish the pronunciation.

Let's not even get started on grammar & punctuation. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: