ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Butler Wash and Valley of the Gods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/6/2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Butler Wash and Valley of the Gods Reply to topic Reply with quote

Butler Wash and Valley of the Gods

Notes from our journals continues

September 25, 2008

Michelle:

We packed up our gear this morning from Bullet TH. Somewhat sad, but with a clear conscience, knowing we did the Right thing for us. We had a little time to spare since we were a bit ahead now. We decided to take the short route down Moki Dugway which cut off some mileage. This was a steep, curving, winding gravel road but it provides some spectacular viewing as we meandered down from the Mesa. How beautiful! Beats a highway any day! The map made it sound more treacherous than it was. The dirt road (the name escapes me at the moment) from Tortilla Flats to Roosevelt is more primitive and treacherous than this one was. At least the road is wide enough for two lanes in most places. I’m glad we decided on this route. This allowed us to take a little time to enjoy another area that was on the way, Butler Wash. Trish found this area scouring some information she had. It wasn’t identified or listed from the highway. Road was a bit obscure and you needed a watchful eye to find. It was on our way to Mexican Hat along a Forest Road. It was a 14 mile dirt road with numerous Ruins and Petroglyph's nestled all along the mountain range. The road ended back at 95 had you taken it to the end and would have put us at quite a distance to backtrack to loop around, so we knew we didn’t have enough time to do the entire 14 mi trek but figured we could glimpse a few of them anyway before we had to back track. The road initially started out not in too bad of shape but the farther we got, the road became very sandy, rutted, rough and in some places with a bit of incline through sand. We stopped at the first set of Ruins & Petroglyph. Did a short hike in, down some boulders and found the Petroglyph. They were a bit of a distance up the rock and needed binoculars, so I wasn’t able to catch any pics. Went a bit farther to try to locate the ruins but didn’t find them and wondered where they were? Did we miss spotting them? Reluctantly, we decided to turn back. But low and behold on the way out Trish spied them up against another set of rock far from the Petroglyph on the opposite side. They seemed fairly intact. But noticing their location, it would have been difficult to get to them for anyone to do any kind of damage. We snapped a few pics, got to the car and headed to the next set. It was about a 4 mi drive up the road to the next grouping. Not really marked on the road, but looking at the information, mileage and the description of where to park, we stopped. Again another short hike in to try to locate them. The path leads us through a dense scrubby area that ended at a steep creek bed or wash to get to the other side. If we had had more time to pitch camp somewhere along the way and explore all that afternoon and the next we could have done more. But as it was it was this was just an impromptu thought to see while heading down the road. It was getting later into the afternoon and we had a ways to go yet, so we decided we didn’t have enough time to do any further exploring and cut our loses to head back out. If I’m ever in that area again, may just need to take a day to stop, camp and do some exploring.
Next stop was Valley of the Gods. This area was really beautiful with the Red Rock formations jutting up against a Blue sky. How pretty! No real hiking per se and again another impromptu jaunt to see what was there before moving on down the highway. A dirt and gravel road wound in and out of the rocks. Slow going for 17 mi, but we thought the sights were worth the small detour. How can rocks just be so pretty! Rather mesmerizing. We wound our way through snapping pictures of this beauty.
As it ends we head towards Mexican Hat. As we came to the junction to turn the mountains in front of us were quite unusual. They had so many variations in color in a zigzag pattern. Reminded me of those bottles that contain different colors of layered sand. Quite unusual to say the least! Of course we just had to stop to snap Mexican Hat rock on our way through. Funny that the name of a town is named after a rock formation, but I guess many towns are named for something, No? A very small town that ends as you cross the San Juan River.

Trish: Loved driving down Utah 261 and the Moki Dugway…...for some reason I’m thinking this is the road Ed Abbey was talking about in “The Monkey Wrench Gang”. Beautiful views descending. This road is better than Fish Creek Hill and has pull offs if you choose to stop. Michelle and I had a big discussion yesterday about what we were going to do with our extra day and a half now that we were leaving Grand Gulch a little early and after consulting a book I have on non-technical adventuring on the Colorado Plateau, I had found that there are scores of Indian Ruins/Petroglyphs along Butler Wash, which is located about 5 miles west of Bluff below Combs Ridge. The road in is definitely not for passenger vehicles and I would avoid it altogether in wet conditions unless I had a 4WD. We explored along here after gassing up in Bluff and then went on to Valley of the Gods. Did a little bit of hiking to views of the ruins. On to Mexican Hat (which by the Utah road signs, seems to be 47 mile from EVERYWHERE!......or so it seemed last year when I drove through this area). But we do find one sign that says 4 miles~~~had to snap a picture for my companions from last year, Carol and Nez.

We decided to be true tourists for the rest of the trip! Arrived Monument Valley that afternoon and I can’t wait to get a shower. I feel like I’ve got 7 layers of dirt on me and sponge baths just aren’t cutting it anymore.

Next Stop Monument Valley

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/6/2008, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I only have a few pics to post.....we hit VOTG at high noon and many of my pics got washed out. Sad

It was still gorgeous but I'm tired of driving, need a shower badly and the X is as filthy as I am.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love that area and view. I have a rule when traveling there--if it's a little cool and windy--I camp in the Valley of the Gods area. If it's hot, still or windy, or looks like storms, I camp up on top, either at Muley Point or another spot or two I have near the edge--- Wink
desert spirit

PostPosted: 11/12/2008, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A good friend of mine ran into old Ed Abbey up on Muley Point, years ago. When he saw my friend approach, Ed greeted him warmly ... "Welcome to Muley Point. Now get the hell out of here!"

I can just hear him saying something like that ... Laughing
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/13/2008, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey! I missed this one before! Way cool. Looks like you girls had a grand time! How much fun would that be to take a "girl's week out"!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: