ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Canyondlands-Needles District
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/3/2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, you and Michelle have been doing some beautiful areas. If you can swing it, go into un-named areas of the Reef. Horseshoe was amazing but for me, the Reef was life altering. It was also the most predatory landscape I have traveled through. You will find things in there. There is no easy way to do it though as it is like an Escher drawing, surreal.

The strata layers in the Reef were originally lay down horizontally before the uplift and the exposed material dates as far back as the Permian with 250 million year old Cononino sandstone, 225 million year old Sinbad Limestone under Moenkopi formation under Chinlie formation, Windgate sandstone, Kayenta and Navajo Sandstone all in the Triassic under Carmel formation, Entrada sandstone and Curtis formation in the Jurassic. Since all of this at the very edge of the Swell broke off and is near standing on end vertically now, each layer wearing away differently in the ferocious erosion that has occurred here, you walk through a place that spans about 120 million years of time that one can see in distinct layers. It makes no perceptual sense as it is turned on end as well as all manner of odd angles. There is no logical way to travel through this violent landscape unless one reshapes their own way of thinking.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/4/2009, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen,

I spent two days at the Reef in 2007 and plan to go back in 2010 to spend 10 days there and in Escalante. I loved the Reef and only saw a few things there. Spending 5 days there will no doubt be amazing! (I'll pick your brain before that trip for some truly spectacular areas to see!)

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: