ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
My birthday ski lessons at Sunrise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/27/2010, 4:22 am    Post subject: My birthday ski lessons at Sunrise! Reply to topic Reply with quote

My birthday was on Tuesday, so I decided to treat myself, as I often do on my birthday, to a new adventure. On my 50th birthday, for example, I went river rafting for the very first time. Well, this was my 57th birthday, and I have been saying for some time that if I don't learn to downhill ski pretty soon it may be too late! I had never tried it before, although I have cross country skied quite a bit over the past 9 winters.

I went on Wed. since the weather had improved. I bought the whole day package because it included two lessons, instead of only one.

I couldn't believe the weight of the equipment compared to cross country skis and boots! I put it all on and made my way over to the base of the bunny hill. The instructor was a man named Mike, a former special forces person. Nice guy, quite patient. I managed to sort of learn what he was trying to teach me--there was one other student, a woman in her late 30's from North Carolina. However, we didn't realize until we went up the big lift how little I had caught on to doing a right turn. When I saw how steep it was, I just about crapped my high tech North Face bib overall pants! I could pull off the left turn ok, but not the right. A couple of times I got completely out of control and went flying down the slope! I was glad then that I had cross country skied before, because it came in handy as I was flying off to a trail that went to the side. I was lucky the trail was there! (At least, I didn't do a "Bono!") I don't think the teacher was too pleased with me at that point. I kept saying, "This is not like cross country skiing at all!" It isn't, as far as the turns are concerned anyway. My experience in having the long boards attached to my feet did help a little, though.

I managed to catch on to the right turn by the time we were almost to the bottom of the green run. So then, I went to lunch and afterward went straight to my second lesson. A woman teacher this time, named Renee. She was really nice. She had a totally different teaching style and was able to see where I was messing up on the turns. We practiced sideslipping and turns on the bunny hill. I was scared all over again, though, when we went up the big lift. Even though there were few people there that day, it would only take one snowboarder to kill you. We practiced side slipping down the steepest of those runs--they are the green runs but they do have some short steep parts. I FINALLY got the right turn down quite a bit better.

When the lesson was over it was 2 p.m., and I had two hours left on my lift ticket. But I was afraid to go way up there without the instructor. So I went up the bunny lift, over and over again, for about an hour or so, and practiced my turns, trying for the parallel turn.

Unfortunately, I got started with this at the end of the season. Tomorrow Sunrise is closing.

Sometime, I plan to get myself a pair of mountaineering skis, such as the Fischer Outtabounds. They are short, wide cross country skis that are made for turning. Heftier boots and cable bindings that give you the option of clamping the heel down or not, depending upon what you are doing. You can ski both Pole Knoll and Sunrise with them.

So this is my plan: learn to downhill well, and then translate the skills to ski mountaineering. I doubt I can ever get used to crowds, but in order to learn the skills I would be willing to buy a season pass and spend at least one winter going to Sunrise to improve, get a few more lessons. Not sure if we will spend the winter up here next year or not, though.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/27/2010, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thumbs up Awesome -- Glad you got out and did something cool on ya B'day. Happy Belated Birthday Elizabeth!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/27/2010, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! It was fun, even though I was scared a few times!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/30/2010, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good job!! Love it! I didn't start downhill till I was 47,but also did cross country previously. I take a lesson when I go to Utah yearly, so I don't develop bad habits from skiing solo.Skiing doesn't get any better than Alta and n o crowds n the way. Good for you! It becomes very addicting!!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/30/2010, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny, I went mtn. biking for the first time at 47!

I did get pretty scared with all the zooming snowboarders. I could probably get used to the steeper slopes, though, and will definitely seek more instruction if I do it next winter.

However, hubby wants to snowbird next winter like we did in '08-'09. Snowbirding is a blast too, especially if we are somewhere we can use the kayaks, plus I don't have to quit riding my bike like I do up here.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/31/2010, 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Elizabeth and Happy B'lated Birthday. Downhill for sure is quite different than X-country. Looking down the hill from the top can be alittle unnerving. I took a class at the college years ago but still had troubles turning easily. Could cut the turns 4-5 times but then seem to lose it. Teacher told us if you can no longer make the turns sit down on your ski's and lean to side to kind of stop yourself. Then start again from that point.
I kind of told myself that maybe I liked x-country better?
Gave me a great appreciation for those who can do it well. And the SnoBoarders amaze me.

Glad you had a great time though and enjoyed enough to want to pursue it further.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: