ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AMC Technical Outdoor Climbing Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the " Knotty Divas" have graduated in purple, green n' black. The Grad climb was a pile of fun! We cilmbed at the Rosseta Stone - I think I did 6 or 7 different climbs and Suz/Tracy may have done more. It was a great day.

We shared the usual "Hikers with an eating problem" credo .... Very Happy

No camera with me so I am hoping Suz will post the pictures we took...Suz, Thanks for the amazing graduation! Very Happy
Suz

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So yes--------Tracy, Ambika and I did it!! We graduated! Got the patch and all!

It was a fabulous class, worth every bit of fall color we have missed and the hike we blew off today.

It was a good day on a pretty easy slab. We were in the McDowells on Rosetta Stone. It is an area of the desert filled with amazing boulder formations. I think I'd like to go back just to explore around up in the boulders. There were 5 different climbs set up from 5.3 to 5.6. We did all of them a couple of times each. I think we made great improvements in our calls....communication is critical. I got to "Lead" a little, check an anchor ---which turned out to be a very sexy set up, got a little crack action after working out of a hole, and did a no hands climb.....sort of Rolling Eyes . I'm still not as good at belaying as Tracy is but I'm learning a new technique that should come together for me soon. I do fine until the climber gets going fast and have to ask them to slow down while I pull in the slack.

We had lunch catered in for the group......in true AZH style. Okay okay......we coordinated a food event with a bit of climbing before and afterwards. You all have raised us well. You would have been proud of our lunch spread!

We wrapped up the day of climbing with a little tassle moving cermony while formally dressed in caps and gowns. (picture above) We forgot to toss our caps into the air, dang it! We got back to the car and carried on the celebration like true graduates with a champagne toast (or was it a chug?) to our great instructors, new friends and a future of different adventures. .... and ate some tasty strawberries. (more food)

We zipped to Tracy's place afterwards, reconnected with Rocky who thought about eating us when we first arrived, took a one wipey bath, fluffed the hair, changed the clothes, gathered more food and headed off to our "graduation" party.......where we ate some more............sat around telling stories about our climbs and named a sweet kitty that I almost brought home from Greasewood Flats after last the climbs last weekend. It was good to see her safe and alive.

So---the kitty got a home, we all learned lots of new stuff, met some great people...........got some sweet bruises, and ate like royalty!!

I think Tracy and I are headed to the "Overlook" in Flagstaff this next weekend for a little more climbing (5.6 - 5.9).........with breathtaking views of Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.

PS---yes my nail gal is the BOMB----all nails present and accounted for! My toes are a different story.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well done! That pretty much sums it all up! Agree We had a great time!!

I'm going to have to practice my knots again...after 2 weeks of doing them all perfectly and with ease, I got out there yesterday and drew a blank on a figure 8! Awww Rats! I eventually dusted the cobwebs off and managed to tie it right, but each and every time I had to do a fresh one, it was like I was looking at the rope for the first time. Must've been graduation jitters. Crazy

I can see this opening up a whole slew of new hiking opportunites for us!! Bouncing

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My money is in the mail for the anchors class ...Get in there Tracy & Suz!
Suz

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I'm waiting to hear back about who we send the check/info to since the website is kicking back email to the contact for this class. Don't want a live check going to a disappearing person's address. Eric has our information.
Erock

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So . . . does this mean there is a future Jacks Canyon trip in the works?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got caught up on this thread after being away for last 10 days or so with all of the wedding stuff. It sounds like you girls had a blast! Congratulations!!!

Suz, when I get back out to AZ, you'll have to take me climbing and show me some stuff!! I'm so jealous! I don't know when I'm going to get to go climbing again. I know that I'm going bouldering with my brother in PA over Thanksgiving, but I'm itching for some routes. Hopefully I'll make it down to New River Gorge in WV real soon.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Erock wrote:
So . . . does this mean there is a future Jacks Canyon trip in the works?

Sounds good to me! I think Ambika and Tracy would both enjoy Jacks Canyon with an overnight.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/26/2008, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

Suz, when I get back out to AZ, you'll have to take me climbing and show me some stuff!!.

Welcome Home you Newlyweds!
You've got a deal!

We've got time in the gym scheduled for some more practice with outdoor trips to the Flagstaff Overlook, The Praying Monk on Camelback and a few other nice spots coming up.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

Welcome Home you Newlyweds!

Thanks!

Suz wrote:

We've got time... scheduled for... The Praying Monk on Camelback... coming up.

The Monk is easily the most fun climb in Phx. I really think you'll love that one!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Posted some pictures from the Anchors Class

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvy27&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some really nice shots, Ambika. Looks like y'alls learned (and enjoyed) a lot!! Climb on!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/25/2009, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK kids! The time for the spring class is coming up and Todd and I are signing up! I am so excited!!!! I can't wait!!!! The following are the dates for the spring class. I can't promise to be the organizer that Susan was for the fall class but I will be there so if anyone wants to join us you can follow Susan's original link and get all the information needed to sign up! Come on it will be SO much fun! Just think of the new activities this will open up for us! Multi I have been waiting to do something like this for ever!!!! Todd! We need a climbing emoticon!!!!

DATES, TIMES AND PLACES FOR THE SPRING 2009 CLASS:

Mar 10 Tuesday 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm *Ramada tbd, North Mountain Park
Mar 12 Thursday 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Ramada tbd, North Mountain Park
Mar 14 Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm TBD
Mar 15 Sunday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm TBD
Mar 17 Tuesday 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Phoenix, Solid Rock Gym
Mar 19 Thursday 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Phoenix, Solid Rock Gym
Mar 21 Saturday all day Various times, various places

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/26/2009, 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys are going to have SOOO much FUN!!!! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
sbkelley

PostPosted: 1/26/2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool! Brian and I will see you there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: