ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AMC Technical Outdoor Climbing Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/3/2008, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
No email yet!!! Sad

Got my email Multi and I have re-located my climbing harness, shoes and chalk bag!!!
Suz

PostPosted: 10/3/2008, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh cool!
Glad I won't be there alone!

Found my chalk bag, too! It's green.....further complicating the color issue here!

Hey, I found a purple harness on sale!
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/BLD0735/large/Black-Diamond-Primrose-AL-Harness-Womens.html?swatch=PORC
Suz

PostPosted: 10/15/2008, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We are going to be the knotty trio by the time this class is over. I can't believe all the knots we learned last night.

Tracy--FYI
www.rei.com/product/751749
These are the shoes that I purchased about a year ago and they are a US size 7.0 which does directly correlate to the typical size I wear. They are really snug. Perhaps too snug. I think we decided I needed a really sturdy shoes for support because my foot had not yet really developed the strength to handle a softer more flexible shoe.

www.rei.com/product/475014
This one felt REALLY nice on.

Or,
I'd look for the Stealth C4 soles on something.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/16/2008, 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oooooh, you gals have fun! I'm jealous! I have all that gear, just no one to do it with, and also am no longer very strong at all.

However, every year I do a straight rappel from the cupola in the top of our high school football dome to the floor. We climb up the outside of the dome, and there is a door into the cupola, and inside of it there is a catwalk with a view straight down to the football turf. Actually, some people jumar up the inside, too, straight up the rope, 125 feet, but that is too hard for me.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/17/2008, 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We got to climb and rappel on flat ground today ...Saturday will be our 1st real climb/ rappel. Life would be great if everything was just a rappel!!!

Susan -- thanks for the knots lessons as we drove to class. Thanks to you I did not look all knotted up at clas.

BTW Hank -- you are one awesome teacher! I recalled a good bit of our lessons in Prescott and at the Royal Arch rappel ( espeically you checking on our anchors) and was able to catch up with the group inspite of missing my 1st lesson on knots ...
Suz

PostPosted: 10/17/2008, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
We got to climb and rappel on flat ground today ...

I managed to get a D+ while belaying Ambika on flat ground. Sure hope things go better on the rock Saturday! There's so much to remember.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/18/2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi yoyo Spinning on my head Yahoo! yoyo yoyo Spinning on my head Bouncing This was an amazing day! and an incredible opportunity to have so many varied experiences. We still have 4 days of class left.

Awesome volunteer instructors, well planned out stations providing tons of experience climbing, belaying, rappelling and a pile-o-learning. I LOVED IT! So glad I made time to take the class....and so glad Tracy agreed to climb the same route over and over and over so I could get better at belaying.....probably the hardest part for me so far.

More fun tomorrow at the Queen Creek Climbing Area!!!!!!!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/18/2008, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, it's been tons of FUN!! Agree But I'm exhausted! Must've been all that repetitive climbing Susan made me do. Chuckle just kidding...Susan, you didn't let me drop once, you can belay me anytime! Ok

Can't wait for tomorrow! Bouncing

UH...did we have reading to do tonight? dunno

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/19/2008, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we started the day at the hardest new climb they had set up ( AMC set up the route for the 1st time last week) and made a wee bit of progress. I think all of us learnt to fall well and our belayers did a great job catching us well!

Tracy and I tried 3 more routes with reasonable success...a lot of waiting today to get to do climbs Yesterday was way more fun ...lots of rappelling and some good climbs.

Tue - Thu in the rock gym learning self rescue!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jealous jealous jealous jealous. That's me! Wink

So, on these outdoor routes you are doing, what level are they starting you at? Like 5.6? 5.7? What about in the gym, what level are you starting at? The fact you are learning the knots and anchors is cool, too. Are they going to teach you how to lead climb? I never did learn that. I was always the follow behind, and when I got tired I was the belay slave. Have you heard that term before? Don't get stuck being the belay slave!

It has been years since I did any climbing, although I do a little rappelling every year, from the cupola in the top of the big Dome here, straight to the football field on the floor. 125 feet. Very fun! I think my hands and arms need to go to the gym a whole bunch before I could be successful at climbing again. I can't even do ONE chin-up now, whereas 10 years ago I could do 10!

There's a rock climbing class offered by the CC in Yuma every semester, but it conflicted with the kayaking class I signed up for. So maybe I will take it in the spring!!!!
Suz

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I have found one more way to damage my toenails! Both of my big toenails are on the injured list right now.

Saturday in the McDowells was for mostly rappel, auto block, belay and a little climbing. I think the 2 big rap routes were about 95ft at the max with a good overhang lip to experience. Some how I missed out on the top belay experience.... the lines were too long so I made other choices.

I think I did about 6 climbs and got to belay 4 times on Sunday in the Magma Mine area just past Superior. All were around 5.6-ish. There were harder routes but I didn't need anything harder. Such a beautiful area, tons of routes out there.... and boy howdy was it HOT---119 in the sun and on the rock which is where most of the students spent the day in lines waiting for a turn. The club had intended to have some easier routes set up but there was some sort of a mix up with the ropes and egos. I did get some excellent one-on-one instruction and practice with the smearing technique while traversing across the wall horizontally and on the rope. This will be a good technque for me if I can really get the hang of it. One route was a little tougher for me and I had some belay assist on that one. I don't remember what it was rated maybe a 5.7??? Seems like they all have good sections and challenging sections.

The Anchors and Lead Climbing are both different classes. I will most likely be taking the Anchors class but I'm a long way away from being ready for the Lead Climbing class....perhaps down the road but I don't really see the need right now.

Yes, belay slave is a term I know. I'm still working on relaxing a bit more while belaying so I want some experience and offer to belay frequently. My shoulder and neck hurt this morning from it though. IMHO I think the technique they are teaching us needs a little altering. The three of us did a slight modification but we'll work on some changes after our grad climb next weekend that the instructors say they use outside of the class.

It has been a great class so far with amazing volunteer instructors and lots of fun people taking the class. I really am looking forward to learning the self rescue techniques on Tuesday and Thursday evenings---mostly how to go back up a rope when needed....thinking that could come in very handy. Tried it once and it was very challenging.

I'm so glad I made time for this class....it's SAAWEET! Mr. Green
Suz

PostPosted: 10/23/2008, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi yoyo Saturday is our Grad climb and Party. We'll be out in the McDowells. We are all very excited and have learned lots. Yahoo! They say we can bring "friends & family" to the climb and the party............anyone wanna come?

Of course we have planned our own mini little ceremony for the climb (in the unique fashion that 3 creative and slightly knotty divas dare to dream up)........our instructors don't know that yet so shhhhhh!

Next up for us----The Anchors class -- Mid November.
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/24/2008, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've really been enjoying reading all your updates - sounds like a total blast.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/24/2008, 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the mother of all bruises on my right inner thigh from prusiking up and down the rope. Really enjoed it that's for sure. Last night 2 instructors just walked away from me while I tried to solve the rappel/knot in the rope scenerio.......so I just untied the knot (oops----bad idea) LOL ...indeed a problem solving technique but the WRONG one!

Had to start all over!
Suz

PostPosted: 10/24/2008, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IF memory serves me right..........(and this is questionable after so many late nights with this group) Crazy I think we have an instructor that offered to host a pampered chef party on top of Weaver's Needle. Invitations will be sent out shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: