ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Baldy Loop 2008 Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

273 blacktop project to Big Lake is supposed to begin later this year as new road is already showing damage with potholes & washboard sections.

Suspect road won't last long unless blacktop is done.

USFS is pushing contractor for keeping road open during paving which should be interesting--273 between Sunrise & Big Lake gets tons of traffic/use. 1st 4 miles from Sunrise to Sheeps not funded for any paving/work so it will remain a rough mess for at least a year+
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/24/2009, 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The whole thing is just goofy. Thanks for the update.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 7/24/2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear the trails are clear. That had to be one huge job.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 7/29/2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Today I understand blacktop paving project has begun from Sheeps Crossings to Big Lake--suppose to be done with lots of luck before winter snows close the road. ( lots of luck! )

Understand crosscut trail is clear so trails are all clear with USFS plans to keep a closer eye on things--especially since last Fall a couple got stuck up top at jct of East/West due to some snow/down trees! Don't ask...No idea why SAR team did not drive up Mt Warren which is std route for many Apache's and a stone throw from jct of East/West trails where the couple called in for help.

I know why ask why...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/30/2009, 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
Don't ask...No idea why SAR team did not drive up Mt Warren which is std route for many Apache's and a stone throw from jct of East/West trails where the couple called in for help.

If you have to ask that question you don't spend enough time in Apache County. If you know the answer to that question you spend too much time in Apache County! Wink
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/17/2009, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I understand blacktop is complete from Greer Jct to past Phelps Cabin so both East & West trails can be accessed dust free.

1st 4 miles from Sunrise side won't be done this year but hopefully next year. Plan for next month is for blacktop to be complete to Big Lake.

Amazing how they moved the road in spots and even the new road went to pot in a few months without even a big monsoon season!

sam_hikes wrote:
Today I understand blacktop paving project has begun from Sheeps Crossings to Big Lake--suppose to be done with lots of luck before winter snows close the road. ( lots of luck! )

Understand crosscut trail is clear so trails are all clear with USFS plans to keep a closer eye on things--especially since last Fall a couple got stuck up top at jct of East/West due to some snow/down trees! Don't ask...No idea why SAR team did not drive up Mt Warren which is std route for many Apache's and a stone throw from jct of East/West trails where the couple called in for help.

I know why ask why...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
hopefully

Hopefully? I was hoping they'd never, ever pave it. I was against it from the start, very unhappy about it. I have talked to dozens of people who agree with me. I even talked to a lot of the guys on the actual construction crew who agreed with me--they liked having the job, but disliked the idea of making that area too easily accessed.

Mostly people who live here didn't want the paving, of course, but also many city people I've talked to. Local residents often don't like the state coming in and messing with our FS roads. Plus, businesses in Eagar and Springerville have reason to worry, because there used to be only one paved road to Big Lake, SR 261, from Eagar, so people from out of town who didn't like the dirt road would come over here and buy gas and groceries, etc. and then go up 261.

Eagar Bashas' and Springerville Safeway will still be the closest actual grocery stores to Big Lake for the long-term RV types (reverse snowbirds who live full-time in their motorhomes--they come up here in summer) or anyone else needing groceries.

Last weekend drove up Northwoods Road from Greer to W. Baldy Trailhead/Sheep's Crossing to drop off some resort guests for a hike. And yes, there's pavement along that stretch by the trailhead.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

according to Vo as it wasn't a state project but rather a fed bailout project.

azbackpackr wrote:
sam_hikes wrote:
hopefully

Hopefully? I was hoping they'd never, ever pave it. I was against it from the start, very unhappy about it. I have talked to dozens of people who agree with me. I even talked to a lot of the guys on the actual construction crew who agreed with me--they liked having the job, but disliked the idea of making that area too easily accessed.

Mostly people who live here didn't want the paving, of course, but also many city people I've talked to. Local residents often don't like the state coming in and messing with our FS roads. Plus, businesses in Eagar and Springerville have reason to worry, because there used to be only one paved road to Big Lake, SR 261, from Eagar, so people from out of town who didn't like the dirt road would come over here and buy gas and groceries, etc. and then go up 261.

Eagar Bashas' and Springerville Safeway will still be the closest actual grocery stores to Big Lake for the long-term RV types (reverse snowbirds who live full-time in their motorhomes--they come up here in summer) or anyone else needing groceries.

Last weekend drove up Northwoods Road from Greer to W. Baldy Trailhead/Sheep's Crossing to drop off some resort guests for a hike. And yes, there's pavement along that stretch by the trailhead.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/16/2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

273 blacktop is complete from Big Lake to Greer Road with new paved hiking lots at East & Sheeps as well as wheelchair access from Sheeps lot to old LC bridge for fishing. East gets very little traffic and you'll likely see next to no one. ( there should also be no downed trees on any of the trails )

Blacktop for final leg from Sunrise Ski side of 273 to Greer Rd suppose to be next year.

It will be interesting to see how the new pavement holds up with all the deep snow compacted by all those snowmobiles and winter jeep folk. ( snowmobiles are banned on AZ67 due to the above )
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/17/2009, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there has been pavement along 273 and 261 by Big Lake and Crescent Lake for many years with snowmobiles running over it. I've never heard of big problems with the pavement there.

Still I'm not too happy about all this easy access stuff. Pavement at East trailhead? It used to be all nicely rocky and rutted...
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/28/2009, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

checked out new blacktop on 273 which is all paved if you access Baldy via Big Lake & Hwy 261.

only bottom 2 miles of East Trail are free of snow with a nice 6-12" base as you make your way up Baldy. ( report below was not much snow on West Trail )

decided to bag Mt Thomas which is on the way to the peak.

both lots where empty except for 1 car which belong to a retired couple who did the West-East Loop.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/28/2009, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 12/2/2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Baldy snotel indicated a bit of snow but I think it melted. Must of been something as Hwy473 is closed for the winter. ( though I think road is very low priority since Rez )

Hwy273 still shows open and I understand blacktop bid has been awarded with work scheduled to begin on blacktop for final 4 miles in the Spring. ( Sunrise Gate - Greer/Northwoods Rd )
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/25/2010, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hear 273 is now open with ongoing paving of 273 from 260 to Greer Rd jct...

Suggest accessing East Baldy from 261/Big Lake side to paved side of 273 though East Baldy will have snow vs dry access via Sheeps Crossing... Else via Greer Rd is especially nice if coming from Greer as Jct is already paved.

Suspect things are little different as I snowshoed to the peak in March where parts of Baldy were under 10ft of snow.... Anyone been in the area recently?
sam_hikes wrote:
Baldy snotel indicated a bit of snow but I think it melted. Must of been something as Hwy473 is closed for the winter. ( though I think road is very low priority since Rez )

Hwy273 still shows open and I understand blacktop bid has been awarded with work scheduled to begin on blacktop for final 4 miles in the Spring. ( Sunrise Gate - Greer/Northwoods Rd )
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/26/2010, 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, I haven't. Frankly, I have been waiting for you to report back. I did hear that 273 is open. Are you going to try to climb it again? I am sure snowshoes will be required again! There is still a lot of snow visible up there!

Let me know if you want a companion. I have a lot of free time this summer, although a lot of my weekends are full.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: