ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Baldy Loop 2008 Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I called the Springerville ranger district today and they said 273 is still closed. But you can park at the junction of 273 and FR87. it adds 3/4 mile each way. I have no idea what FR87 is like though. Anybody drive that?

As for the west trail She said it's contracted out to have the trail cleaned up (downed trees) in June and should be done by mid July. She also said that 273 will be paved over the summer, one lane at a time but would be open to travel with occasional delays.

How much snow is still up there? I was hoping to go next Thursday and don't mind crawling over a 100 trees, but not with a foot of snow on the ground.

-TIM-
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know how much snow you have to deal with but the temporary trailhead at FR273, the road you should come down on, and FR87, a dirt road that goes to Greer (ignore that), is the same intersection GB and I had to hike from so the track I sent you is the track you would have to hike. That includes a 2 mile stem to get into the loop. Start early if you go.

Driving down FR273 past the Sunrise Ski resort you will come to signs just past the intersection that say Authorized Personnel only past that point. There are signs to the temp trail there as well.

See http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=66450
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

273 isn't open yet, that's why I was asking about FR87. I did get the track you sent and see where the trail starts. I'm just wondering how much snow is still up there. Looks like it will be a 20 mile day even if I take the West Fork both ways. Not sure I want to do that with snow the whole way, a mile or two at the top is one thing, not all day.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The snow is deep at the top, it is totally covered in snow. Bring snowshoes. Above 9,000 will be big drifts. Above 10,000, I don't know, but probably all snow.

I can see Baldy every day on my bus run. It is very, very much covered in snow. Today it appeared to be snowing up there.

Plus, I have been driving around up at around 9,000+ lately, in different areas, including Hannagan Meadow (all side roads very snowy/muddy/messy) and Carnero Lake/Greens Peak area (some roads open.) Some roads are impassable due to drifts, others driveable.

87 is also called Northwoods Road, just past Hoyer Campground in Greer. I have only been up it about 2 miles lately, where there are homes, so can't comment about any further up.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I think what she was saying is that 273 is not open past that intersection so a part of 273 is open all the way to the signs in the picture. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Your first attempt should be to drive 273. If you can't then go back to 260, head to Greer and pick up FR87 from Greer (it's a little tricky).

Or call her back and ask if 273 is open to that intersection. FR87 is a PIA.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My memory is coming back (it's a miracle).

When we did the hike I called the Springerville ranger and talked probably to the same girl you did and got the same story you did. So going in we drove FR87 from Greer the night before and camped near the intersection. We then started early in the morning and after we did the hike we drove out FR273 because the road was totally open past that intersection all the way to route 260 and we never had to use FR87 in the first place.

I think the forest service girl has a sheet of music to sing from and may not know anything beyond that and may have never been there herself. So as far as I know FR273 is open all the way to that intersection.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/16/2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well with that much snow up three I'm going to find something else. I'm not up for a 20 mile snowshoe on a 4 day trip.

I did find this though.
Closure: Closed until May 29. Road closed for the winter. on State Route 273 north and south-bound, from milepost 383, 2 miles South of SUNRISE SKI AREA to milepost 397, END SR 273

So if it's closed the southern 14 miles (going by the mileposts,) it looks like I'm 5-6 miles away from the 87 turnoff.

The lady definitely made it sound like 273 was totally closed though and that FR87 would be my only option, she said you can park on the side of the road at the junction.

With the amount of snow though I'm going to find a hike elsewhere.

-TIM-
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/17/2009, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Most of the roads up on the mountain are closed right now. Big Lake Highway is still closed, and it's a paved highway from Eagar to Big Lake. Closed about 8 miles up. It is always closed in winter, and 273 is always closed in winter--even when there was no construction going on. It is STILL winter up here, especially up that high. Winter ends in May--usually--although last year we had two feet of snow up on the mtn. the day before Memorial Day weekend.

As for 87, how far did they say you could drive up it before it was closed? Or did they say? For me, coming from Eagar, that's the easiest way to Mt. Baldy East trailhead in summer. I have never thought it was a bother. Just go to Greer, turn right on Northwoods Road.

Here down in the lowlands at 7,000, if I leave my water bottle in the car it is frozen the next morning. It's still winter.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/17/2009, 2:34 pm    Post subject: 273 re-opened for 2009 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Around May 1 ADOT busted thru the remaining snowfield approaching Winn Campground to open Highway 273 for 2009.

They made quite a mess of 273 & a huge 10-15ft cut/pile of snow remained on both sides of the hill/road.

There are new areas to park/hike from including a lot at Sheep's Crossing near the old bridge and a nice lot at the East Trail / Phelp's Cabin.

273 has been re-done from the Greer Rd all the way to Big Lake but is still dirt but is posted at 40mph but VERY dusty.

Bids are being now taken to pave it from Greer Rd to Big Lake and next year or so the section from Sunrise to the Greer Rd is suppose to be re-done & paved.

As of May 1 the last 2 miles of the West Trail was still a mess with 50 down trees and deep snow. East Trail was also covered in deep snow at that time too. USFS is scheduled to clear the Baldy trails starting in mid-June.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/17/2009, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Sheep's Crossing Beaver Dam Reply to topic Reply with quote

USFS is working to clear a good size beaver dam at Sheep's Crossing as ADOT removed the earth dam as part of the 273 project.

USFS is concerned dam will cause problems for old Sheep's Crossing bridge which is part of Railroad Grade trail and fishing access.

Beavers have been a problem years ago at the site causing culvert problems in the old dam.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/17/2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been staying pretty close to home. No gas money. Have been driving school bus to Vernon and Show Low at least once a week, though, and can see Baldy from US 60. Still snow up there, of course. It gets less, week by week.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/17/2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

May 3 snow was over waist deep over 11,000ft with likely only a couple people making it to 11,400ft recently as no tracks were spotted.

Used snowshoes for last 1.5 miles from the final blowdown area to the summit ridge (straight up)... Needed them going down as snow was wet & not firm whereas previous treks I could boot ski down.

Thinking about a 5th trip (since March) for later in the week.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/30/2009, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

May 25 the East Trail was very icy for parts of last 2 miles.

Counted 50 down trees blocking trail till snow covered trail.

USFS plan is to start trail work mid-June and have Baldy cleared before busy July 4 weekend.

New hiking lots at East Trail & Sheeps Crossing for parking are awesome but new road after 30 days already has a few washboards.

I saw no one but came back via the historic Old East pack trail which has many down trees but much less snow & no ice. Old East is just outside the boundary and passes within 1/4 mile of the Mt Thomas peak which looks interesting. Trail also bypasses the hoodoos which are very nice with great views. ( The current East Trail is actually outside the boundary on my topo software for at least a mile or 2 which is odd as the tribe has the entire Baldy wilderness area closed for the past several years to all tribe & no-tribe members)

Also...Explored Reservation Lake the day b/4 and what a gem! Some nice paths on the backside of Baldy.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/30/2009, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

East & West Baldy trails are now all clear of down trees thanks to Vo & company.

Did Old East from top to the jct where it joins the current East Baldy which saves tons of time/mileage and has no down trees (upper section only) which is amazing since its really old. Note: Lower Old East Baldy has tons of down trees. The Old Lower East jct is the 1st cairn you see coming back off the tribal summit on your right about 25 feet from the existing summit trail. ( still listed on many topo maps )

For a really long day follow the summit ridge past the tribal summit to Baldy South Peak and down Reservation Creek to Reservation Lake. Don't bother with the old Apache pack trail which is covered with tons/tons of down trees but follow the creek to an A+ logging road which will take you to the shore of amazing Reservation Lake. Note entire Apache Baldy area for many miles on all side is said to be closed to all travel... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: