ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Baldy Loop 2008 Version
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 9:18 am    Post subject: Baldy Loop 2008 Version Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a 2008 version of the Baldy Loop. Road construction of FR273 caused the Forest Service to establish a temporary trailhead about 200 feet past the intersection of FR273 (that starts at Highway 260) and FR87 (that comes from Greer). GB and I did this on Tuesday, June 17, 2008. The total trip was 21 miles and it took us exactly 12 hours from 6:40 AM to 6:40 PM.

The temporary trail connects to the loop at the intersection of the West Baldy trail and the Crossover trail in 2.2 miles and therefore adds 4.4 miles (of easy hiking) to the ordinary Baldy loop.

After hiking the temporary trail we continued on the West Baldy trail which is easy hiking for about 2.5 mi. This trail follows the West Fork of the Little Colorado River yielding some great views along the way. As the trail moves away from the river and begins serious climbing there is much deadfall on the trail for about 2 miles. This part of the trail can only be described as mean and nasty. You must hike around, over or under the deadfall and it’s not easy as this is some of the worst deadfall I have ever seen. Other trip reports done in 2007 have reported on this and I will confirm that nothing has been done to clear the trail. I was happy to have worked through this section early in the day. We reached the intersection of the East and West Baldy trails, had lunch and rested there for ½ hour. The East Baldy trail had some deadfall but seemed very easy when compared to what we had just been through.

The East Baldy trail is very scenic with lava rock and tall spire like rock formations. It also presents great panoramic views toward Big Lake and beyond. There is a piece of a 1942 plane wreck a few feet off the trail (see Al_HikesAZ’s 2007 trip report on HAZ for a link to the history of this wreck (I was 20 days old on the day of this wreck). There was some snow remaining at 10,500 feet and above that did not interfere with the hiking. The last mile or so of the East Baldy trail follows the East Fork of the Little Colorado and reaches the East Baldy trailhead where we continued onto the Crossover trail. After 15 miles of hiking I was not looking forward to this trail. This was my second Baldy loop hike and I viewed the crossover only as a way to get back to my car.

But we were in for a delightful surprise. After a mile or so the trail crosses a meadow. In the meadow was a large herd with more than 70 elk including about a half dozen young-uns. It was about 4 PM and many were lying down in the meadow and some were in the water in a nearby pool. Taking pictures from far away using various zoom levels I managed to get some shots of the elk in this natural state before they sensed our presence and got spooked.

In a short while they did sense our presence and went into phase 2 in which they all stood up and gathered in a group. I quick counted 70 elk in this photo.

Finally as we hiked along they trotted off in a group and scooted into the forest. In the distance you can see them here.

The last few make their way into the forest.

What an impressive scene. I have a complete album posted at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563931846yHqwTc Best viewed after clicking on the full screen icon on the bottom.

More notes about this hike.
FR273 is open for 8 miles to the starting point of the hike on the temporary trail and is the preferred approach coming from Show Low/Pinetop.
The mileage and the deadfall make this a very strenuous hike.
There are no trail signs at the intersection of the East and West Baldy trails.
About ½ half mile from the East/West intersection the trial disappears for about 1/4th mile. You must find where the trail continues after that.
A short distance into the East Baldy trail, this trial also disappears for about 1/4th mile and may be covered in snow there. Again finding the continuing trail is necessary.
There is a similar difficult 1/4th mile on the Crossover trail so good navigation skills and/or GPS with track loaded is needed.
There are many good hikes that can be done there that do not involve doing the entire loop. Just walking along the West Fork of the Little Colorado is magnificent and impressive.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that is one of my favorite hikes. I think I'll retire and follow you guys around . . . .

Why are they called East and West Forks? They look more like north and south to me.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The elk photo are great Ok Its been a while since I was at Baldy.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, I agree that is confusing. They could have just as easily been labeled North/South. But I don't make the rules.

The map below is true north up.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When the two forks reach Greer, one is more on the west, one on the east. This is the only explanation I can come up with.

Did you not go to the "White Mans' Summit?" Was there too much snow?

Nice write-up. Glad you got to see some elk! I don't think I am going to attempt this summit until either they clear the West trail of logs, or open road access to East trail.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, GB pointed out that we were passing Mount Thomas summit and we should do that someday when we are not looping. Is that the one you are referring to?

Between the distance and the deadfall this hike used all the gas I had in my tank and adding a summit might have been over the edge. So we stuck with the loop to try to keep things reasonable.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great trip Joe and GB! Awesome Elk pictures as well, what a treat. Joe, I think my tank would be empty after 21 miles as well. I hope to make it up to Baldy sometime this summer.

-TIM-
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Great shots there Joe... pretty impressive to see them all gathered like that. I really liked Baldy. I wanted to backpack into the meadow, set up camp (lots of nice spots) and then take a day or two to hike around. It is just beautiful there. I will go back.
Thanks for sharing this

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/20/2008, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joe, I only meant the spur trail that leads off the loop. Where East and West meet, a small clearing, spur trail goes out into bald area, and up aboutn 1/2 mile or so to huge giant cairn with at least one or two hiker registers maintained there. Awesome 360 views--you can see SF peaks, Mt. Taylor, Catalinas, Supes, Mazatzals, 4 peaks, etc, on a good day.

More later, very busy now.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/20/2008, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW! and I was excited about seeing a deer at Lockett Meadow. That is neat to see so many.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/21/2008, 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very common to see them up here. If you want to see them with a little less effort, take the road to Big Lake (from 260 in Eagar up 261 to Crescent Lake and Big Lake) at dusk or dawn. There are usually a lot of elk in the meadows along there during the summer months at that time of day.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/21/2008, 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want to see them with a little less effort, take the highway to Big Lake (from 260 in Eagar up 261 to Crescent Lake and Big Lake) at dusk or dawn. There are usually a lot of elk in the meadows along there during the summer months at that time of day. Also along Highway 180/191 from Springerville to Alpine, same times of day.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was up on Baldy several weeks ago and aborted after counting over 70 downed trees! ( some very large which you could barely climb over )

FS is suppose to have a crew camped on the mtn working till Labor Day to clear it somehow by hand. ( wilderness area rules )

FS says blow down is due to a huge bark beatle problem which is killing thousands of trees on Baldy. ( dead trees everywhere in blowdown areas as well as on mtn side )

FS claims you can see the area of dead trees from AZ273

East Baldy trailhead (my favorite) is not suppose to open now till Fall 2009.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Sam. If they don't open East Baldy Trailhead till Fall 2009 that means they will have worked on that road for 3 years. That boggles my mind. Someone is making a career out of working on that road. What could they possibly be doing that takes so long??????
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FS contact for the project is Vicente O (Vo) who says contractor didn't think weather would be a big of a problem.... LOL

Road does not often thaw till May and then July it rains till Oct when it begins to freeze again.

FS ran sort of funds as project was started in the late 90's and VICENTE ORDONEZ did the enviro stuff for the project. As a result of the funding problem the road won't be paved and 1st 4 miles to FR87 won't be improved at all. FS hopes to pave road b/4 weather & heavy traffic ruin it again. Good news is past FR87 all the way to 261 JCT will be improved by fall 2009.

I snowshoed to the top of Baldy this winter and got some cool pics of the new highway bridge crossing the LC at Sheeps Crossing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: