ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Let's talk gear: Car Camping Bedding ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Let's talk gear: Car Camping Bedding ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I am getting old Confused (I can't believe I actually said that) Eek

I am looking for a comfy "in-back of the truck/SUV" bed. I have seen a few folks have some nifty setup that makes me jealous as I sit and huff n puff at my InsulMat ( quite comfortable once I catch my breath).

I'd love for some inputs so I can figure out what will be best for me.

Very Happy
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk gear: Car Camping Bedding ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
I think I am getting old Confused (I can't believe I actually said that) Eek

I am looking for a comfy "in-back of the truck/SUV" bed. I have seen a few folks have some nifty setup that makes me jealous as I sit and huff n puff at my InsulMat ( quite comfortable once I catch my breath).

I'd love for some inputs so I can figure out what will be best for me.

Very Happy

What is the length of your SUV's bed with all the rear seats down?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

try this: double size mat
the regular is nice, the double wont fit in a 4runner but does great in a larger tent.

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Therma Rest big'ol Camp Rest makes a fine in car car camper.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the big ole thick foam pad with a sheet over it. Not sure where you store it when you're not using it but it seems like a good option. I think you can go to a fabric store for this....or an upholstery shop and get it fit to the exact size.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUZ, I had a 1985 Nissan pick up truck I bought new. I put a fortified aluminum/plywood sheet across the bed then mounted an oversized shell on it. I bought a cheap twin mattress for a kids bed and and cut the cloth skin off of it and simply trimmed the mattress to fit the interior of the truck. My wife and I spent every night on the road in the back of that rig. It worked perfectly except during a hale storm in Tahoe (it was an aluminum camper shell, kinda loud). When we got home, stuffed it in a spare room we used as a big closet. Ice chest and all car camping slid nicely under the aluminum bed
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

4 inch memory foam full or twin size mattress. Brian is building a deck for the FJ complete with storage access since the back seats are out. Unfortunately it's bulky to store but I have never slept so well, and you can crawl around on it and not disturb anything ( like a cup of coffee) sitting on it.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check with Todd; I sold him one of those 2" think memory foam pads about three years ago. Don't know if he still has it or uses it.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk gear: Car Camping Bedding ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
What is the length of your SUV's bed with all the rear seats down?

Come on were talking about Ambika hear, I think she could sleep across the back seat of my Honda.

Ambika, sorry about the short joke, just saying the 4 runner is plenty long enough.

How about the 3 or 4 inch egg shaped pads? I think they are pretty cheap too.

Maybe something like this: link With a large queen/king size you could fold it in half for twice the padding.

Can't beat the cheap or free shipping on overstock either.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smile being short has its advantages from time to time!

I am liking the memory foam option but I think I will need to have some thing underlaying part of the area since there is a noticable slope and a small ledge that just finds the sweet spot to give you a kink in the back!

Letty are you rigging up 4 in memory foram + a twin bed ?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know why they design SUV with bends or slopes in the seats. It makes no sense to me.

I went to the Chicago Auto show in the spring and that was the first thing I looked at with every SUV, does the back fold down flat, most of them didn't. MY GC is just the right size for me, if I was over 6' I would have to open the tailgate, but under 6' and I can stretch out fine, only 1 small little bump where the seats fold down, don't even feel it through the air mattress.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm 6' feet tall and with the rear seats down fully flat and the front passenger seat down on my '05 Xterra (only available on the off road model) I slept just fine on the first El Camino Diablo run. The front passenger seat doesn't go quite flat, so made a perfect place for a pillow. Had I been 2'' shorter I wouldn't have had to even put the front passenger seat down. Slept on my big Agnes on top of my Thermarest. Also cut a screen just a little bigger than one of the rear windows, glued it to magnetic tape and was able to sleep with it covering the driver's side rear window without worrying about bugs, flies, etc getting in.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Also cut a screen just a little bigger than one of the rear windows, glued it to magnetic tape and was able to sleep with it covering the driver's side rear window without worrying about bugs, flies, etc getting in.

Great idea Hooli Very Happy
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

my montero sport is really neat that way. although i never use it and didnt even care to look into flat seats for camping. i guess maybe i will?
basically you move both headrests then fold down the front seat, fold down the rear seat and you have a totally flat bed about 4x9 feet. only thing in the way is the center console but thats a great place to hold a drink while you watch a DVD.
like I said tho, ive never used it.

what i do
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, just the memory foam. Used heavy cardboard from moving boxes to build up around a ramp the FJ has. However when back seats totally removed the area actually ended up with more room and a slight depression in the floor. The deck will have a hatch and small things can be stored there, such as tools or a tow rope etc, things that don't have to be accessed normally. It also gives more headroom, and room enough for two people to move around comfortably.
I went to a fabric store and got a large piece of stiff perforated cloth and use magnets to secure it to rear hatch area of FJ in case it is hot can sleep with back door open and fully screened against bugs and still get in and out. Planning on getting some pieces for windows too. Cost maybe 2 bucks for fabric and got magnets at 99 cent store.

I too wanted the comfort but if I am solo I usually have foam bed spread out, so if I drive somewhere and want to just pull over and sleep, I can find a place, park, crawl in back and push cargo aside, stretch out and I'm out in just a few minutes versus pull out a sleeping bag and inflate mattress, or even have to put up a tent if it's raining. Plus a little more security if you're just parking down some dirt road in the middle of the night, in the vehicle.

Also with gas prices can look at it two ways--have a capable to the TH vehicle and the ability to sleep in it, thus saving cost of hotel room. I rarely stay in a motel/hotel on any trips, and after long trips can chose to stay in a motel for the shower or do a KOA campground shower, if I want something better than my solar rig shower, which I use too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: