ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What do you use for staying found and knowing where you are?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you use for staying found and knowing where you are?
Topo Maps + GPS
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
GPS Only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Topo Maps + Compass
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Topo Maps + Compass + Beacon ( SPOT etc)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Topo Maps + GPS + Beacon (SPOT etc)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 33

desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 12:18 pm    Post subject: What do you use for staying found and knowing where you are? Reply to topic Reply with quote

The recent debate & Suz's post about a poll got me thinking this would be a great poll Very Happy
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I voted other. I primarily rely on memorized landmarks. I will usually carry a map if the area is new to me, but generally will not use a compass, as my internal one has not lead me wrong yet...but I do have one with me, just to be sure.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lay of the land. Understanding "what makes this place tick" is the best way of staying found; for me anyway.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Map only, if that. Never carried a compass. A lot of research studying the trails ahead of time. I stick mostly to trails, not too much off trail stuff. Also taught myself most of the time, that if it feels like I'm off, I'm OFF trail, go and backtrack to where you know you were last on the trail. The times I've tried to shortcut back to where "I think" the trail goes, usually ended up being an even longer detour.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sometimes a map, rarely a compass. I only use my GPS units to find my way to an obscure trail head across the spider web of roads on the Navajo rez. Also I read books, trail guides, other peoples descriptions. And sometimes I just wander around...
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to agree with the "map only" set, although I recently acquired a snazzy GPS and have been on the learning curve and probably won't leave home without it again. I love the USGS Topo's, paper copies and carry them on serious hikes (had ten of them in the Wind River Mtn's one trip).

I find I only get lost when I think I know exactly where I am.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I pull into the nearest gas station and ask, "Where the pumpkin am I?" Been problem on occasion in Mexico! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be interesting to get Tommy's opinion on this one...

Quote:
that if it feels like I'm off, I'm OFF trail, go and backtrack to where you know you were last on the trail

Laughing
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Read what Tommy has to say!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=234730
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/5/2008, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sometimes I'll bring a map if I'm unfamiliar with the area, but I can't really remember the last time that I brought a compass along (or if I even own one). My Geko GPS doesn't do too much in terms of navigation but it's a fun toy to tell my average speed etc.

Kerouac
AFScout80

PostPosted: 6/7/2008, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I traded my GPS to a Navajo woman for a bunch of turquoise jewelry on the Res last fall after a GC trip---she definetely got the better end of the deal. I wanted to get back to the basics and rely solely on traditional navigational skills; map and compass. I guess you don't really need a compass on well known trails, but I frequent off-trails occasionally so it's more critical to know where you are and I was getting too comfortable with my GPS. This year? I'll trade my TV/computer/X-box for a Swiss Army knife. Sweet.
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/7/2008, 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AFScout80 wrote:
I'll trade my TV/computer/X-box for a Swiss Army knife. Sweet.

You know, it just so happens I have an extra Swiss Army Knife laying around... Wink
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/7/2008, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So do I.....(pm me). lol

I don't have the money to buy a GPS, so I rely on landmarks or compass, or map. Usually I stay on trail and I don't wonder off. If I do want to, my friend will usually stay on the trail so I know where she is.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/7/2008, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
Lay of the land. Understanding "what makes this place tick" is the best way of staying found; for me anyway.

I got sort-of side tracked once, in the Mazatzals which I think is a very primitive place and easy to get turned around. Ever since then, I have been much more keen to my surroundings and have had better success at navigation even off-trail without compass or GPS. A map and some good eyes makes a great set of tools. Hiking in the lesser known canyons in the Supes has been a very good classroom... maybe I have that inner compass that Liz mentioned.

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been lost in places that start and stop in a straight line. Stuff happens. But understanding that I started my walk by heading west and that harder stone that caps softer will make sheer cliffs and that volcanic will make tunnel shoots and that limestone can wedge you in all pending on slope and an areas annual rain fall averages helps me know what kind of real-estate I can expect to find around the next corner. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west and approaching mid day I fix on something distant to landmark. Rivers go downhill and when little water starts to collect people start living next to it. This AND a good map is part of the art of orienteering. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure but understanding your environment is the best way to stay found.
I think many if not most of us could be blind-folded and dropped into a strange wilderness and within a couple hours be able to figure out where we are. That is, if we've ever fancied visiting a location enough to have looked into its geography and topography. ( I bet the Yosemite group found out the round valleys are created by glaciers forced through ganite before they hiked there. Amazing how much one can do with that little bit of knowledge) These orientation skills don't make us know our exact location; they let us know how to move in a particular land to find a logical out. Still, with the best of Orienteering skills I have never been lost Razz but I've been temporarily displaced for several days on end. LOL.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: