ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Oh oh
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Oh oh Reply to topic Reply with quote

Missing Canyon Hikers:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/05/28/20080528missinghikers28-on.html
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

At least they had some cool weather this week. Hope they find them ok.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Found em! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Missing SLC couple found in Grand Canyon
By Jason Bergreen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/28/2008 07:12:25 PM MDT

Posted: 7:01 PM- Iris Faraklas and Alan Humphrey, a Salt Lake City couple who went missing in the Grand Canyon on a backpacking trip last week, were found alive today.
Family friend Nicki Foy said she received a call about 6 p.m. today from Faraklas' mom that they had been found.
Foy, who went to nursing school with Faraklas and has know her for four years, said Faraklas and her husband got lost and suffered from dehydration but "they're OK and they're safe."
The couple apparently got lost backpacking a difficult 45-mile trail loop in a remote western area of the park.
Humphrey, 39, and Faraklas, 35, were reported missing Sunday when they did not arrive in Prescott, Ariz., as scheduled, on Saturday, said Shannan D. Marcak, spokeswoman for the Grand Canyon National Park.
The pair, who are considered experienced backpackers, were issued a backcountry permit on May 17 for the Royal Arch route. The loop is in the far western portion of the Grand Canyon. The permit expired Friday.
Over the weekend, Salt Lake City and Arizona authorities issued alerts to locate the couple when checks of hotel and campground registrations turned up no sign of them.
Rangers eventually made contact Monday with a friend who knew the couple's itinerary. They were told the pair had planned the backcountry trip.

Late Monday night, park rangers located the couple's car at the South Bass trailhead about 7 p.m.
Search and rescue teams flew over the southern portion of Royal Arch route near the rim, but did not locate the pair. Monday afternoon, rangers searched the remainder of the route without spotting them. Two rescue teams were also hiking the route, talking to other hikers and looking for their location.
A third rescue team and a technical rope climbing team also were searching today when the couple was found.

Link
mikehikes

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always get a chuckle when the clueless <newsfolks> write about Grand Canyon. In the quoted story above it states that the Royal Arch Route is in the "far western portion" of Grand Canyon. Ha! Royal Arch Creek <named Elves Chasm in it's lower sections> reaches the River at mile 116. The Park stretches beyond mile 277! Royal Arch is not quite half way in my book. And trust me....there is a LOT of good hiking <and boating> west of Royal Arch.
azjohn

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They have been found. Cool
SCOOTERNINJA

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I havent posted on here in a long time, but I had to after reading this story...because I actually made the same exact mistake!

I grew up a backpacker and climber. I had hiked the GC many times as a kid with my father. When I was 19 (25 now), I decided to lead a group of college buddies down the South Bass. None of them had any hiking experience, but were all college athletes. Anyways, we missed the cutoff down the South Bass going many miles toward the Royal Arch. I had a map, but at the time didnt carry a GPS. I convinced myself that another side canyon had to be the South Bass (no trail of course). We spent the entire day getting down this side canyon (handing packs down, a lot of down climbing, etc..). The side canyon goes into a narrow slot (amazing slot canyon), the slot was filled with water holes as it was March. WE continued down until my buddy says, "I dont think this is the right canyon." I said, "whys that"? He says, because I dont remember reading a 500 ft repel in the guide. There it was the river literally right below us, only a 500 ft drop away. So, we hiked back up a ways and found a little opening where we could climb to the tonto and still be close to the water in the slot canyon (the tonto is rather low at the part of the canyon). We stayed the night in one of the best campsites I have ever had, overlooking the canyon, in a place I doubt many if any have been. The next day was very very tough, climbing back up the sie canyon we had come down. I always had to climb first, hoist the packs up and throw a rope down (very draining!). We spent all day making it back up to meet the esplanade. We luckily found a great place, to camp on the explanade with large flat rocks whose holes were filled with water. The next day we traversed the esplanade back to the correct cutoff to the South Bass and made our way down the South Bass. Overall, it was a great adventure. But I realize how lucky we were to have only people in great shape, be there in March where water was actually in the side canyon. Had it been May, we could have been in serious trouble. Needless to say, we built up the rocks and stick which were there to mark the cutoff.

I am glad those hikers made it through and had the smarts to stay with the water until they found the actual way out! I have been on many Grand Canyon adventures since, but the South Bass trip remains one of my fondest memories. It was actually fun getting lost, even though that would not happen now that I carry a GPS. Obviously those hikers did not have a GPS. I had to call my buddies who went on that trip with me today. They too, have many fond memories of that trip and are glad that the couple made it out ok.

Hope you enjoyed my story,
Kris
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
It was actually fun getting lost, even though that would not happen now that I carry a GPS. Obviously those hikers did not have a GPS. I had to call my buddies who went on that trip with me today. They too, have many fond memories of that trip and are glad that the couple made it out ok.

Great story and thanks for the points about GPS. A skilled GPS user would never get lost on this hike (or just about any hike for that matter). A spot messenger device would allow anyone to send an emergency message and help would come quickly with GPS coordinates transmitted to rescue services. These devices have the ability to save lives and limbs in some situations. Good thing these were experienced folks who did some smart things after they got lost.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
It was actually fun getting lost, even though that would not happen now that I carry a GPS.

gpsjoe wrote:
A spot messenger device would allow anyone to send an emergency message and help would come quickly with GPS coordinates transmitted to rescue services.

It's a shame that the lesson everyone (not just here, but in other forums as well) seems to be taking away from this is: rely on electronic gadgets.

Having just completed the Royal Arch Loop, I'm really curious as to where this couple got lost. It seems to me that it is easy to turn down a canyon or two a little too early when traversing east towards the Royal Arch drainage. But these side canyons quickly reveal themselves as wrong turns. Even if you did climb the whole way down them, you'd still be dumped into the Royal Arch drainage. It doesn't take a whole lot of time to pull out a MAP and figure it out. Beyond the upper section before the drainage, there is not a whole lot of opportunity to get lost on this hike. I'm not trying to demean this couple; I'm just curious.

I've been lost before, when I first started hiking. But I didn't need a GPS, spot messenger, or sat phone to get myself out of the predicament. In the end, I was a few hours late getting home. The important thing is, I learned from that experience, and I haven't been lost since. If I had started out with all of these electronic devices, the experience would have been dumbed down and I would have learned nothing.

I'm not a technophobe. I own a GPS device, but it rarely sees the light of day. Yes, I know how to use it. But I know how to use a paper map, and a compass also. I know my own abilities, and I try to exercise good judgement when I'm out in the wilderness. I'm responsible for the my own safety and the safety of those I bring with me. I (usually) research my trips before taking them.

These devices (especially the SPOT) are allowing people to feel comfortable getting in over their heads because all they have to do is push a button, and help arrives. This is not how the wilderness should be.

The lesson learned from this lost couple should be: pay attention to your surroundings and make sure you know how to read your map.

Learn to rely on yourself and not a battery powered device.
SCOOTERNINJA

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never said the lesson was to rely on electronic devices. I used to be against carryting them. They are however worth carrying in case of emergency (even the best mountaineers cannot prevent all accidents). Here is an instance, you are with another backpacker. He his injured so severely that there is no way you can get him out. So, you get the backpacker to a good place (probly in a tent with everything they need). You store the place you left him as a waypoint. You hike out as fast as you can, give your GPS to search and rescue and they can get there in an instant.

I dont use the GPS much, but have utilized it in order to get to a certain point as I do a lot of cross-country mountaineering. They are nice when you have to find a tiny shoot to descend on a large mountain face. (Every mountaineer has gone down only to realize that they must go back up to get to the place where they need to be to get down) You are way to negative Matt, it is a personal choice.

I agree that backpackers should know their abilities. From reports it seems that the couple was within their abilities doing that trip. However, it is curious why the couple sat so long, but with the details released everything is purely conjecture. It seems that if you were lost, youd find a campsite near a water source and take day hikes to get your bearing.

And if you are implying that I was in over my head when I did the South Bass trip at 19, then you are wrong. True I didnt know the route well as we showed up and got a permit the day we went in. I had been leading trips through much more remote mountain terrain since I was about 13 (wyoming has some truely remote places). But mountaineering isnt purely about knowing a route as much as it is about knowing how to adapt. I actually knew we were in the wrong canyon well before we got to the end, but figured we might be able to hike along the Tonto and meet up with the Bass (couldnt do this). But in reality at no time were we ever worried one bit, we were just out having fun. Actually, the reason why it was difficult to determine exactly where we went was because I didnt have the quadrangle for where we ended up. In fact, all the guys I was with were glad we got lost and were able to go where we went. We saw about as neat of slot canyon as anyone could hope for and with absolutely no sign that anyone had ever been there before. Yes ill admit we camped in areas outside our permit (oh well...not like it was intentional).

I also agree that the person who is organizing a difficult trip should be confident that those they take with them will be able to carry their own. I took all beginner hikers (never even been backpacking), but I knew them from athletics. They learned a ton on that trip and now one of them does a lot of mountaineering with myself and is a person I now consider an expert. I just wish we still had the youthful enthusiasm we had back then. On the way out, we hiked from Bass Rapids to the trailhead in about 3 hours. I guess the trail just seemed real easy after all the rock climbing.

Overall, its a personal choice to carry a GPS. The technology is there, its light and could be helpful in case of the emergency. I mean, you carry a first-aid kit right? I doubt you go in planning on spraining an ankle, but you got it in the rare chance it might be beneficial.

Lastly, I dont think there is any way to mistake what direction you are headed in in the Grand Canyon or at least for very long.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well this is the good ole hiking dialog I miss! You all make valuable points and I love taking it all in. Thanks guys for putting it out there.

Each person is so unique and our experiences are all so varied it's difficult to have a right way and a wrong way. For me--- I need to do my own research, trust the people I'm with and their decision making abilities (these often go out the window in a stressful situation like being lost) and probably push come to shove...........having a map would give me a better big picture....probably because I'm not handy with a GPS at this point.

I've been lost, too......and trust me, fun is not exactly how I would describe it. I think it was more my level head and calm thinking that got us out.......not the expert map reader or the map....we were so far off trail it wasn't funny. Once that sun started setting we struggled to get our bearings and really couldn't place ourselves on the map without a compass. Complicate the situation with running out of water and that certainly ups the anty. Crazy Being lost once was enough for me, I really don't need a do over. I do think it is important to always know that stuff could happen.....heart issues, dehydration, snakebites, brakes......and to have thought a bit about what you would do.

The question becomes, how long before you know you are lost and what is the next best step. All the variables certainly start coming to mind.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree that we must know our own capabilities and exercise good judgement in the wilderness. And I also agree that it is a personal choice whether and how to use a GPS or other device while out there. And it is my personal choice to use GPS as my primary navigation tool. I carry a compass but it rarerly sees the light of day because it is there in case my GPS has a problem (and this has never happened - yet). Incidentally the compass can get lost or damaged on the trail just the same as the GPS, except it doesn't use batteries but with good judgement I have never had a battery problem on the trail (I have spares and always start with fully charged ones which are good for 14 to 18 hours of contiuouus operation).

I have not done the Royal Arch route and do not have plans of doing it either but if I did I would have that route mapped on my GPS preferably using an accurately recorded track that some other hiker posted somewhere. If a track is not available I would use the National Geographic map of the Royal Arch route and convert it into a GPS track which I know how to do so it would show loud and clear on my GPS display. GPS always tells me exactly where I am and exactly where that mapped route is. You can forgo the pleasure of knowing that of course if that is your choice but I don't see the point.

My partner carries a SPOT and we never plan on sending an emergency message. Yet if an unfortuanate accident should happen and emergency services are needed, I am sure we will thank our lucky stars that we had that as we would for any emergency supplies that prove useful. She also sends OK messages home with some tracking info to give the folks at home the warm and fuzzies they deserve.

Those who refuse to embrace GPS technology should maybe throw away their maps and compasses and go back to natural navigation using the rivers, canyons, sun, moon, stars, animal tracks and other natural features to navigate by rather than those high tech maps and compasses. Then you would get the real feel of the wilderness as it should be according to some. I can imagine that hundreds of years ago there were "real trackers" who laughed at the map and compass people.

The lost hikers in a brief TV comment said that, after a while, the canyons and slots in the GC started to all look the same and they had no idea where they were. From my modest amount of experience in the GC I can understand that sentiment. Bet they wish they had a GPS and/or SPOT on that hike. No one wants to be on TV that way.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe wrote:
My partner carries a SPOT and we never plan on sending an emergency message. Yet if an unfortuanate accident should happen and emergency services are needed, I am sure we will thank our lucky stars that we had that as we would for any emergency supplies that prove useful.

actually, Joe the SPOT is not without problems so the only thing it has "proven" to be is mediocre at working when you might need it. SPOT has several bugs that need working out. I hope it works better as time goes on, like all new technology it can only improve.

gpsjoe wrote:
Those who refuse to embrace GPS technology should maybe throw away their maps and compasses and go back to natural navigation using the rivers, canyons, sun, moon, stars, animal tracks and other natural features to navigate by rather than those high tech maps and compasses.
Joe that just doesnt sound right. You say its a matter of choice, and that people should do whatever they want but you come back with a vindictive, judgemental statement. I hope you were being silly. Im pretty sure you were. I, for one, think GPS is a neat little gadget but cmon man, outside of "cross country" travel do you think its really necessary?
I dont.

and Matt, I agree mostly with your statements except that "everyone" is taking this one way. Not everyone is. Many of us who pay attention to landmarks and follow the map as we hike (which keeps you from getting lost in the first place?) have never been lost. I think GPS in Grand Canyon is good technology, but on a trail as easy to follow as the Cabin Loop, its just not needed. I use my gps to follow mileage and elevation gain. I dont think it can even download a track, and has no map software. And thats fine for me.

most important, IMO is that nobody should rely on GPS until they have mastered map reading and can follow terrain without it. I also - like Matt - think we are potentially polluting our wilderness experience by bringing gadgetry, electronics and so forth. I like the purist aspect of travel. Me, a loaf of bread, and a sack to carry it in. YMMV.
but hey, if you want to microwave burritos at camp knock yourself out.

what i do
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
I never said the lesson was to rely on electronic devices.

True. But I felt that you and others had implied it. What I should have quoted from your post instead was this: "Obviously those hikers did not have a GPS." I just think that we are in a sad state, where we go into the wilderness to escape the urban jungle and the technology that goes with it, only to bring more technology with us. A backpackers first thought ought to be, "Where's my map?", not "Where's my GPS?"

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
You are way to negative Matt, it is a personal choice.

True, it is a personal choice to carry a GPS. I'm not saying that a person shouldn't. I just don't think that a person should RELY on GPS. And that is what you're implying with statements such as: "Obviously those hikers did not have a GPS."
Maybe I am negative, but my post above was concise and thought out. Even though I quoted you and gpsjoe, I did not attack either of you personally. In gpsjoe's case, he has demonstrated that he is a capable outdoorsman and GPS is a passion and hobby for him. I am confident that if he (or you) were lost and the GPS was broken or the batteries were dead, you'd be able to read a paper map and a compass and remedy the situation.

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
And if you are implying that I was in over my head when I did the South Bass trip at 19, then you are wrong.

I wasn't. In fact, your situation sounded fun and is slightly enviable. Now I need to go back and find that slot canyon. Thanks for adding to my list of things to do!

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
Overall, its a personal choice to carry a GPS. The technology is there, its light and could be helpful in case of the emergency. I mean, you carry a first-aid kit right? I doubt you go in planning on spraining an ankle, but you got it in the rare chance it might be beneficial.

The technology behind a band-aid or an ace-wrap is a far cry from the technology and security provided by a GPS unit or SPOT.

SCOOTERNINJA wrote:
Lastly, I dont think there is any way to mistake what direction you are headed in in the Grand Canyon or at least for very long.

Can't argue with that. I think I made this same point in my post above.

Well, I'm outta here! Time to go get lost!! Wink
IGO

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, you don't know what happened to these people you just love opportunities to be self righteous. The article said the couple where experienced backpackers and sometimes poopie just happens. I'm about 50 times more experienced backpacker than you and I've been lost several times. Crap happens Mr. Perfect.
It’s these kinds of reads that makes me not want to come here anymore.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: