ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Paging Mr GPSJoe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 10:11 am    Post subject: Paging Mr GPSJoe Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope you see this.
Joe, I've used my GPSmap 60CS extensively but never to navigate. Well I want to navigate with it now but it won't cooperate. On my computer, I've meticulously created a route I want to follow. I upload the route to my GPS from my computer. I page over to "Routes" menu on the GPS and select the route I've created in the drop down menu. I select Navigate/follow road/faster time. (already I suspect it is not behaving because I don't expect it to propmt me for calculating a route I've already calculated.) It starts a calculation routine. When it finishes calculating I go to the map page on the GPS to see my route graphically depicted there. It is not the exact route I put together on my computer it often times sends me places I don't want to go; sidestepping my original intent for something it likes better. The thing is, I've created a route I want to follow and upload it to my GPS; I don't want the GPS to calculate a route for me, I want it to take the directions I created for it on my computer.
I'm fairly well acquainted with this machine but can't understand why when I select a route I've created that the GPS has a mind of its own and re-routes me on its own. Can you help me? I'd sure appreciate it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I select Navigate/follow road/faster time

I believe that is your problem. Try it by selecting off road and see if that works.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Heat! I'm going to try that right now. It IS a road route I am trying to follow.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope. It just jumps cross country. I'm taking 8 motorcycles through Utah 12 to Capaitol Reef next weekend. My bike won't like some of the stuff "off road" is telling it to do. Razz
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish I could help but I never use my GPS for routing on roads. I did try it years ago when I got my first GPS but found it to be very quirky and very dependent on the accuracy of the unerlying road maps you are using.

I use my GPS only for hiking trails and do not auto-route on those trails. I use the tracking feature instead. If I don't have a recorded track I will draw one on the mapsource 100K maps or on Maptech or NG 24K maps and download that into the GPS. This drawn track does not have to read the roads or trails from the underlying map and is independent of that.

So if you draw a track even on roads and you are sure it is accurate, then download that track and do not activate routing at all. You will see the line you drew on the GPS and that is what to follow.

Auto-routing sounds good but I don't think it has been implemented well so I gave up on that a long time ago.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/18/2008, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you sir. I find that in MapSource mapping, recorded tracks do lay right on the underlays.
I thought that since people use GPS in their cars that there had to be some degree of accuracy in routing. If people navigate by the same kind of calculations I'm getting then drivers are very often times taken on the "scenic route" should I say!? LOL
Thanks again.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/19/2008, 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO, when I read your original post it is "faster time" that jumps out at me.... it appears that it is taking the route you have given it and finding a faster route... is there any way to choose "navigate" or "follow road" with out choosing "faster time"?

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/19/2008, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I was making those first steps up the learning curve (near vertical at that point) I fired up my newly acquired GPS, and low and behold, my house was a quarter mile from where Garmin said it was. After a few emails to GPSJoe, I discovered that the street overlay in my neighborhood is a quarter mile off. It gets right with the world within a few miles, but right at that point, and for a few miles around, the topography and the roads don't match.

So caution on what street program you use, I've found TOPO (I know, it isn't a street program) to agree with Garmin.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/19/2008, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was trying to figure that out Diane. It is giving my short-cuts but they add exactly 412 Las Vegas style red lights as opposed to the freeway out of town. I'd already be back in town by the time I got out of town. Using "off Road" kinda tele-ports me to my distination and that's just a little TOO fast for my motorcycle. LOL.
Anyway, I've been to Zion and the Escalante Country a couple dozen times and I know exactly where I'm going. I just like watching the trip computer when I'm going down the road but when you do something it doesn't think you should do it yells at you in digital. Turn here. No, turn here. NO TUUUUURN HERE! TURN dagnabit. TURN....NOW Turn. Wink
IGO

PostPosted: 5/19/2008, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Shawn. Ya know what's really cool? If I turn the trip computer off a mile from here then erase all the tracks then turn it on here at the house at a late time, it says I'm averaging .045 miles per hour but with a top speed of 497 miles per hour. I think my bike would really hate that.
I've always just used GPS to record my gigs onto a digital map when I get home and I use it as a trip computer. You know, average time, top speed, elevation gained or lost, current elevation, acumilated elevation and miles to destination. Just a learning tool and a means to gage how slow I am. Still, I thought the original idea of GPS was to find some place. LOL.
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/20/2008, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
... I've found TOPO (I know, it isn't a street program) to agree with Garmin.

I think that a number of us are REALLY glad that it did!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 5/20/2008, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO, you're experiencing problems with the "Navigation" system software in your GPS. Until recently (<10 years) there wasn't such an animal for common use. It's quite a different problem to navigate from point "A" to point "B" via roads/trails/whatever, than it is to record information or even to follow a track. "Navigation" is actually calculating how to get from where you're at to where you want to go, using available data on roads/trail, etc. It will always try to create a course that stays on those roads/trails by "snapping-to" where it thinks they are. Even the best commercial GPS software for navigation has problems at times. The bottom line is that you STILL have to use your brain and take over when appropriate. A lot of people don't understand that. Great tool... but it's just a tool.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/20/2008, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
Even the best commercial GPS software for navigation has problems at times. The bottom line is that you STILL have to use your brain and take over when appropriate. A lot of people don't understand that. Great tool... but it's just a tool.

Very well said. You will be frustrated if you expect perfection from auto-navigating software or simply from the topo software out there. But it doesn't mean you should throw them all out since some help is better than none and sometimes (not always for sure) the software is right on target.

The closest thing to perfection I have found for hiking/backacking is the accurately recorded track. That you can take to the bank and follow closely as if you were playing a video game keeping the position arrowhead on top of the track line. A 12 year old will do better at this than older folks simply because he/she doesn't know anything about maps and compasses and is more likely to actually follow such simple instructions.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/20/2008, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I understand both you gentlemen. I understand that auto routing can only snap to whatever data exists for same; somehow I thought there had been more evolution in the available data but guess not. It's pretty simple to understand how tracs I record work perfectly. One of the biggest reasons I bought a GPS is not to show me the way but to show me the way back. LOL
Anyway, I was wanting to put down the best routing I could on my GPS before I left and I know the work I did will easily suffice. It needed to. Have you ever tried to read a road map on a motorcycle doing 80mph? Eek No Whoops! Shocking! my fingers are crossed scream dunno
Thanks again guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: