ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Heebie Jeebies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Heebie Jeebies Reply to topic Reply with quote

When to say when---we've probably all had those "oh, no" moments on hikes or other explorations. From the fact you've left or lost a key piece of gear, to the flat tire, to the toes on a rock ledge with no easy handholds, to sudden illness, problems crop up and you have to deal with them.
I had an uneventful day in the flowers; then a planned old mine exploration with Brian. Old mines are a lot more dangerous than any cave and we usually go loaded for bear, with gear and a respectful approach. Nothing really went wrong, but it severely taxed me mentally, more than anything to date.
We like to explore these mines to see the minerals, lots of time the mines go through caves if in limestone, and any old artifacts left over. This particular mine had a late 1800's start, but had a great deal of more modern mining with some deep shafts and major equipment etc involved in the copper, gold and silver extraction.

We drove on some quad trails, then hiked in over hill and dale to the mine. Lots of building foundations, left over bolts, wire, hoses abounded. The main shaft was bulkheaded with what looked to be a three quarter inch steel plate and a fence. We walked around and down a steep talus slope to an I-beamed tunnel with some huge ore carts at the entrance. The tunnel was open, a hundred or so yards, carefully treading on some pipe to avoid some standing water, and we were standing on a steel platform overlooking the shaft some 100 feet or so below the surface. The mine was wet, water dripping in, few dry spots.
We looked over the metal ladders of the manway, and delicately looked over the edge. Brian dropped a rock and it was a long long time before we heard it hit. The resultant sound wave made it sound like the shaft was "roaring". I was majorly creeped out, this thing seemed alive.

Brian wanted to do a reconnaisance first. I knew it was pretty serious stuff because normally he doesn't care if I go first, with the usual cautions. He went down the ladder, protected somewhat by some rotting rusting chain link. It was so bad not too far down that when he touched it a large section disentegrated, falling into the shaft. The ladder rungs were showing thick rust, so Brian elected to reverse his descent. We were looking for a level, not to descend the entire shaft. Besides we had intel the shaft was 3200-3600 feet deep.
We broke out the now seemingly wimpy 300 foot rope. Setting up a rappel in free space over about 3000 feet is a serious undertaking. We had a bomber set point, the problem was to keep the rope away from any sharp metal surfaces in this mine.
Brian got on rope, and descended steadily. We had a figure 8 stopper knot on the end. He yelled up he had a level and as rope tender I watched now closely. He had to pendulum himself to the edge of the tunnel and try to grab on, without pulling a lot of stuff down on his head ( yes helmets) and I was to make sure the rope didn't saw through anywhere. He made it. I was not intending to go on rope, so waited and occupied myself by reading the interesting signs and looking at the shoring in the tunnel and shaft. After what seemed a very long time I heard a faint shout, after attaching myself with a safety I leaned out to hear Brian say "Uh, I need you to come down" "Why" I said; " Rope got away from me and is hanging out in the mid shaft---I can't get it"
I felt weak in the knees. I didn't want to do this. I know how to rappel, but to hang out on a piece of dental floss over this many feet, then try to swing into a tunnel with my lifeline moving around above was terrifying to me. Yet I had to do it.
I busied myself doublechecking my harness and rap device, I also wore my ascending chest harness and made sure my ascending gear was attached securely to me. I also carried backup. I inspected the rope and attachments again, then I could delay no longer.
Again, the dark helps my fears, but hanging your butt off and slowly settling into your harness free hanging was hugely nervewracking to me at this time. I slowly rapped down, and was encouraged by Brian's constant slowly soothing voice. I soon saw him not too many feet from me. He extended a piece of wood for me to grab to, and with his engineers eye told me where to tie off. Since the stopper knot was undone, first order of business was to pull up the less than 12 feet below me and retie the safety. I tried tossing the free end of the rope to him but it was much too dangerous to reach out for it. I also attached one ascender to the rope to back up the rap device tie off.
I couldn't get the wood so had to swing, but not much before I could get the wood and Brian pulled me over. It was still terrible for me as I was afraid I would pull him out of the tunnel.

I was too freaked out to explore much; although he was very enthusiastic and was sure we could find another way out--yeah, sure. We both ended up ascending a few feet from each other, carefully loading the rope and having a nauseating swing out into the shaft. We loaded the rope alternating in our ascending. The lip was awkward and you had to be very careful here to not drag your ascenders here, but still be attached.

I couldn't wait to get out of there into the sunshine. Normally I don't feel like this, but I sure did this time. I won't be back there any time soon.
beckett

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. What an adventure. It was a great read...had me sitting on the edge of my seat, holding my breath. I loved that your signature line followed this great story. You can rest when you're dead. Totally cool. Can't wait to read the next adventure. Glad to hear you got out safe.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Suz

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy
Cave yes... old mine shaft Yikes!
yoyo
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad all was well in the end, I don't know how you guys do it in caves and mines. Now my 20' rappel in the GC last week, I can handle that.
PageRob

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite the trip! Holy cow. Shocked
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the mines are located or intersect with sulfide ore bodies (which some do), the exposed rock to air will create some toxic gas conditions, hydrogen sulfide, CO and limited oxygen.

Though they pose risks, if one is equiped including training they are pretty cools places to visit. Don't forget a black light.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/8/2008, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Letty! I felt your fear!

I want to shine!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/8/2008, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yikes, I can feel the adrenalin running and the heart a thumping Exclamation
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/8/2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad everthing worked out Letty and you both are safe. Too much for me, thank you. But sure it was a rush just the same.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/12/2008, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have felt fear before but that is just unreal Letty. I'll remain in the wind, it is scary enough up in this world on the surface!

As Joseph Conrad wrote; Fear always remains. A man may destroy everything within himself, love and hate and belief, even doubt, but as long as he clings to life, he cannot destroy fear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: