ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
lightweight sleeping pads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 11:27 pm    Post subject: lightweight sleeping pads Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been researching this and asking around on some yahoo group sites, but I thought I give it a go here as well. I've heard alot of positive remarks about the Zrest closed cell foam pad. Does anyone have any experience with this pad? I'd like to hear good or bad reviews.
Thanks
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

K9- I use either a Z-rest or a Thermarest Ultralite 3/4 pad. The Z-rest is lighter and a little harder than my Thermarest and I sometimes have a harder time finding space to pack it since, folded, it consumes a lot more space. But it sure is light.

-Nealz
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have found that pads are a very curious addition to packing. It's a trade off for comfort/lightness/packability.

The lightest thing going is still the old roll up foam pads (blue, grey with slats - whatever) - but they are bulky and have to be strapped on the outside.

Therm-a-rest or any of the other inflatable foam rests can be more comfortable, unless you go with the "ultralight" models, then they are no more comfortable than the blue foam pads, and about twice as heavy, and they take up room inside your pack. However, if you want to add the weight and not sacrifice comfort - some of the full size or even "camper" size inflatables can be just amazing on the trail.

Again, it all comes down to preference. I personally used an ultralight Therm-A-Rest for years and loved it, but I also didn't want the bulk outside of my pack since I moved a lot in some restricted spaces, and I liked a slimmer profile in my internal frame pack.

If I am going external frame, the old reliable blue pad is my first choice if I'm going light, or my full Camp-Rest (an absolute pig for size and weight) if I don't care about an extra lb. or two.

Also keep in mind that the blue foam pads are still the MOST reliable in that they cannot be deflated if they are punctured, and they are quite versatile. I know a few campers that pack 2 of them if they want the extra comfort - one guy even stitched a couple together for his "heavy packing" model.

Sleeping pads - another example of lots of product out there in lots of different formats to satisfy everyone's needs.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a Therm-a-rest and love it. I have been using them for about 10 years now. They are a little heavier then your blue pads, but I think the comfort is worth it and it leaves a air space between you and the ground making for warmer sleep if its colder outside. It's one of the only items I take with me that adds avoidable waight to my pack.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The ultralight Thermarest 3/4 is 17oz versus the 9 oz for my old style z-rest 3/4(rollled not folded) The ultralight is extremely comfortable, but paid a lot of $$$$, worth it in my opinion. the z-rest i use for ultralight overnights, basically to keep a layer between me and the ground, doesn't have much cushion.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about any of the Exped or Big Agnus line? Has anyone ever used any of these? How do they compare to thermarests?
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:30 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll have to try those out. I could definitly use a lighter sleeping bag for sure.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The lightest sleeping pad I've found is the High Country Mt. Washington sleeping pad, at 7 oz. This can be bought from http://www.highcop.com. The next lightest is the Ridge Rest 3/4 at 9 oz., which you can find almost anywhere.

For sleeping bags, I would go with Western Mountaineering.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They quit making the Mt Washington.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am more than happy with the 3/4 light Thermarest. If you get it, be sure to get and carry the patch kit, saved me at Bright Angel CG the first day of a 4 night trip. I am happy to trade the extra ounces over the bulk of the big fold up kind.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay the Mt Wash and Ridge are light, but are htey comfortable and warm?
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by "comfortable" Smile They are enough for me, but you might be different. Anyway, a closed-cell foam pad can be had for under $10, so you might just get a cheap one to try out. If you like them, they will shave weight off your pack.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
Okay the Mt Wash and Ridge are light, but are htey comfortable and warm?

I have only tried the ridge--and the z-rest. It was OK--I did not die but I went back to my 3/4 thermarest. I also take two sections os a z-rest. I use them as a sit pad, knee pad and at night I use them under my feet for warmth.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 4/24/2003, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using a sun-reflector for car windshields on top of their pad as a radiant heat source when camping in temps colder than your pads r rating allows?
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/25/2003, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
Has anyone tried using a sun-reflector for car windshields on top of their pad as a radiant heat source when camping in temps colder than your pads r rating allows?

I've used the shiny side of a space blanket; too much condensation because it doesn't breathe.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: