ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Do you believe?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Do you believe? Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I just finished reading that website about the Supes being a portal to some place or another and how the rocks are really wizards...

I've also heard a few too many (and a few too believeable) stories about weird things happening out on the trails in the Sedona/Secret Wilderness area....

I'm sure others have heard similar stories...

What do you guys think about all that stuff?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

. If you are a sensitive, this is a place where you will experience one phenomenon after the next, and it can be devastating to the weak of heart. Best know who you are, and have a keen respect for the desert, and if you do not believe in paranormal experiences before you play here, you will after you leave.

Tom, the truth is, this pretty much says it for me. I could feel the power encase me as I read that story, it made my heart race and it is still racing. It is so true. Arizonahat

I have said it many times in my write ups. I have a feeling of strong belonging in the Supes. I can feel HER, hear HER, comunicate with HER,
there is a very special strong connection, a real connection not a contrived connection. Yes there are Spirits out there, but they are loving and caring spirits, being sensitive I can feel them in my heart and soul.

The site that Tom posted was most definitely off base when it called the Supes the playground of the devil. There is nothing evil about the place.

Enough said most of you are convinced that I'am indeed totally crazy now, but you asked and I gave an honest answer. I say it the way I see it.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that site was off base for a few reasons. That whole bit about the 'devils playground' was the first I've ever heard of that. The apaches considered the superstitions their thundergod's home. It was a sacred, respeced, and revered place, but I've never heard that they feared it. Also those pictures were so small, any credable source would have given us a larger picture to look at (of course it may be more difficult to doctor a large photo...). That and I have a hard time giving any self-proclaimed shaman much credability.

I don't know about portals or rock-wizards or anything like that, but the supes have something, some indefineable quality. The experience there is definately spiritual, in fact when people ask what I'm doing on sundays (my hiking day) I tell them I'm going to church.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My thots on it:
its rock, its dirt.
Some of the most increadible rock and dirt I have seen in Arizona.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you believe? Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
OK, I just finished reading that website about the Supes being a portal to some place or another and how the rocks are really wizards...

I've also heard a few too many (and a few too believeable) stories about weird things happening out on the trails in the Sedona/Secret Wilderness area....

I'm sure others have heard similar stories...

What do you guys think about all that stuff?

Yo, I'm a total skeptic... But hey, Colin, anytime you want to join me when the temps are past 110+, let me know. BTW, bro, I'll show you a couple unique places, anytime you complete your convalescense, at any temp.
Lemme know, Jim.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys took that all way out of context.

It was meant to be just a dig. I didn't mean to dig into Heat's heart and start weird rumors about the Supers. Jim is probably wondering what crawled up my butt too... are you guys sure you're from the same planet?

Sheesh. I better chill out. Laughing
JW

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Hey Tom - Friday? Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:

It was meant to be just a dig. I didn't mean to dig into Heat's heart and start weird rumors about the Supers. Jim is probably wondering what crawled up my butt too... are you guys sure you're from the same planet?

Sheesh. I better chill out. :lol:

Tom, this whole community of sport fans knows how you are, guy! Any chance you can make it on Friday?
Jim.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Tom - Friday? Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
Tom, this whole community of sport fans knows how you are, guy! Any chance you can make it on Friday? Jim.

Heading into Reavis Friday. I sent you the Memo. Check your e-mail much?

I still think it would be a good idea to start wearing a hat Jackson. 'nuff said...

Have a good time Friday y'all.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to share my thoughts on this topic. I firmly believe that these areas are extremely spiritual in nature although not truly portals to another place or dimension. I feel it whenever I hike out in Sedona (especially in Boynton Canyon) and that might be why that area is my favorite to hike. It's a very strong feeling..........peaceful and almost like becoming one with the beauty that surrounds you. It's very difficult to describe. There are said to be some very strong vortexes in may areas of Sedona and some people are just more sensitive to these than others.

Sorry Kent, I haven't felt that way in the Supes yet. But I surely don't feel the Supes are the "devil's playground" as stated in the article.

Native Americans who inhabited these places revered & respected the land and lived in harmony with nature and the natural order of things. That in itself, makes all these places "sacred".

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
JW

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Sacred places? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Trish,

Long time no chat, buddy.

Native Americans who inhabited these places revered & respected the land and lived in harmony with nature and the natural order of things. That in itself, makes all these places "sacred".

I've followed some "ancient" pathways in obscure places and I don't think our predecessors actually spent a lot of time up there. Yes, they explored like we do (hey, Kent, & others...), but in the places where I've found Petroglyphs, it seems they chose neat places, like for a family outing, etc. Like all of us who did the ridgeline, I'd suppose that they were smart enough to not spend the energy to hang out up there. But I continue to look everywhere I hike.
Jim.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jim,

I find myself looking everywhere each time I'm out hoping to find a little petroglyph. All I find is graffitti. This weekend I'm going to Pueblo Canyon (Globe) and there are indian ruins up there....can't wait.

Nov 8th still on your agenda?

Where's my BD dinner? And a Big Mac doesn't count! Laughing

"T"

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Also those pictures were so small, any credible source would have given us a larger picture to look at....
....the supes have something, some indefinable quality. The experience there is definitely spiritual, in fact when people ask what I'm doing on sundays (my hiking day) I tell them I'm going to church.

I've been reading about the Epic hike, and one of you posted pic's (sorry don't remember who), it was almost eerie, as I started to look at the pic's and one really caught my eye (not one that I would normally open, but I did...pic number57), in the pic I swore I could see a lady, so I had to blow the pic up....and sure enough, there is definitely a lady in the pic. I even had to e-mail that pic to a friend and ask "what do you see here?" They saw the same thing I did. *Oh, NOOOOOOOO, looking over my shoulder to make sure no one comes with a straight jacket* Multi Multi

I've spent very little time in the Sup's, I've hiked it a few times and have spent 3 nights in the Sup (this weekend will be my forth night). I am also one not to believe too much in "portals". I don't feel what would be considered portals in the Sup's, but I do feel a different spirit thru out the trails that I have travel there, and they are different on each trail. I like to think of them as the spirits that once walked that land/that area!

These "spirits" are far from "devilish", if anything there has been a comforting presence. I'm always comforted when I'm in the wilderness anyhow, but the Sup's have something special, something extra.

I've had experiences sleeping on the Flat Iron, Dripping Springs and in Haunted Canyon. I am curious about this coming weekend because the Sup's are becoming a place which promotes healing and comforting, especially of the soul. I do view all wilderness as my church, but have experienced a "presence" of spirit in the Sup's and a few other places which is very different from my experience from just entering any wilderness.

It's a "knowingness" similar to knowing if I turn on my light switch the electricity will travel through to my lamp and light will occur (as long as my bill is paid or my batteries charged)! I can't see the electricity, but I KNOW it's there! That is the presence that I've experienced in the Sup.

Embarassed Okay, with this all said, you may think that I am utterly mad (insane) and will never want to hike with me!

Let me reassure you I do keep my thoughts to myself and my experiences also to myself......so I would never frighten anyone with my "ghost" stories, but this does NOT mean that I won't experience them personally! angel

I might share with a few people that I'm having an "electrical moment". Multi Jumping Turning Rolling
Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Sheesh. I better chill out.

Tom, I took no offense at all and have no problem telling people how I feel. I'm a straight shooter.

Quote:

not one that I would normally open, but I did...pic number57), in the pic I swore I could see a lady,

I saw her too. She is sittling on the rock, staring out into the western edges of Monument Canyon.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
I've been reading about the Epic hike, and one of you posted pic's (sorry don't remember who), it was almost eerie, as I started to look at the pic's and one really caught my eye (not one that I would normally open, but I did...pic number57), in the pic I swore I could see a lady, so I had to blow the pic up....and sure enough, there is definitely a lady in the pic.

Yikes. You're not going mad Shi. I can see a figure with a long smock and a brimmed hat leaning back against a rock. Maybe not what you see, but I sure can see it. Kinda made the hairs on my neck stand up. It almost looks like he/she is kicking back checking us out as we were trudgin' by...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Tom, I took no offense at all and have no problem telling people how I feel. I'm a straight shooter.

I know Kent. I have kind of a warped sense of humor sometimes. Sometimes I go a little overboard. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: