ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Let it rain
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 6:48 am    Post subject: Let it rain Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was at Death Valey last weekend on motorcycles. The spring bloom was just startinf. I was out at Lake Mead yesterday and it is just starting there too.
A few days ago I was thinking about how many wildflower seed sets were put down in 2005 after that rainy winter and what would happen in the desert now if it would rain right as the blooms were ready to open. Well I'll get to find out. It has been raining all night and it is raining everywhere and it is snowing like crazy up on Charleston. I think we are in for a champion bloom season this year.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, the roadside flowers are starting to look as if they could use a drink out here. Keeping fingers crossed that Mother Nature will bring it on today!!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We were supposed to get it last night, but it's clear as a bell here right now. I guess the storm is moving more slowly than they thought it would. We still have a LOT of snow on the mountain right now, skiing is still great at Sunrise, I'm told. I'm sure I could find somewhere to xc ski, too, but I am done with that this year. I need to save on gas money!
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've had showers around Tucson all day and the nearby Santa Rita Mountains look like they might be getting some more snow. We have plans to hike up to Mt. Wrightson on Wednesday and I hope it's not going to be another hike that ends like this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonHikers/message/1230

Tim and Tommy would have loved it!

Bill
IGO

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snow down to 4000 feet on all mountains surrounding Vegas this morning. Charleston is under yet another new snow pack. I've got to go up this weekend.
It rained for about 14 hours everywhere around here. I figure by the weekend the blooms will start in masses.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from an area just down river from Lee's Ferry. I woke up this morning to a strange sound...snow hitting the rainfly of my tent! It didn't last too long, and I was able to get up and cook breakfast and watch snow showers move along the Vermillion Cliffs. Then I looked to the west and noticed some dark clouds moving my way. "I better pack up my stuff soon", I thought. I took off my rainfly and laid it on the ground and anchored it with some rocks so that it would completely dry off. As soon as I did this a snow squall hit with a fury! You've never seen 5 people pack up a camp so quickly! We spent the majority of the day in the Lee's Ferry area hiking a side canyon and fishing the river. On the drive home, we hit quite a few snow squalls on 89 before Cameron and then again on Lake Mary Rd before Happy Jack.

I'm headed out to do the Royal Arch Loop in 9 days. I hope the road to the trailhead will be dry enough to drive. Otherwise it will be more of an adventure than I'm bargaining for.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It tried to snow here yesterday, it probably did snow up on the higher peaks nearby, it was all socked in. More snow is predicted here today and tomorrow. But next weekend, when I'm going rafting on the Salt, the prediction is for warm and sunny! Let's hope they are right this time!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got rain......a day late and just moments before my window cleaner is due to arrive.....of course!

Thinking about a trip up Hieroglyphics this afternoon if anyone is around to join, let me know. HAZ reports the wildflowers are EXTREME on that trail. Drove the 6 minutes to the trailhead last night and it did look enticing.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's been pouring down at my house for 15 minutes now. Starting to hear some thunder as well.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
It's been pouring down at my house for 15 minutes now. Starting to hear some thunder as well.

Oh, you ain't seen nuthin yet. It's been buckets on the East side for like a couple of hours. I haven't seen anything like this for a bunch of years.

Good luck keeping your pool clean.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The pool was supposed to be clean. I couldn't keep the grass green so figured something in the yard should be

Very Happy Yep, it's a swimmer! Yoda
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's trying here in 'tukee, but no great deluge yet.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's been like Yosemite Falls in my backyard for a couple of hours now. I think I'm going to break out the sandbags soon.

I'm sure you'll see some of it, Shawn. I would be awestruck if you didn't.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same in tempe, lotta wind, little rain, still waiting for the drenching that you're getting in mesa

Kerouac
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/10/2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm really surprised. Usually we're the ones that get shafted with the monsoon stuff.

It was quite the spectacle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: