ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mechanics HElP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

She's a beauty isn't she?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not a bad deal, dude. Looks pretty clean. Does it run rough? Why do you say it might not pass? If it does run rough, take a little time to check it out a bit.

Something to try before you sink a lot of money into it trying to get it to pass. Living in AZ the time that I have, I found that rubber and plastics disintegrate pretty quick. I wouldn't doubt that there could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake on any vacuum type lines you see. The idle will change if there is a leak. Sometimes they are hidden, so look around a bit. Might be something easy to fix.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could see putting $500 in it because the air is getting nastier every day.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
Not a bad deal, dude. Does it run rough? Why do you say it might not pass?

Runs good, starts right up, smooth through the rpm range.

I took it yesterday for emissions, thats why I know it didn't pass. NOX high and I think HC's. NOX was over double. 7.10 when the max is like 3.

Will mess with it this weekend.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/15/2008, 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, nice! Congrats!.........does it have a trailer hitch?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/15/2008, 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why yes it does, you can borrow it if you get the emissions fixed Smile
Suz

PostPosted: 3/15/2008, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well you are just too kind! Thanks for offering. I took mine to the dealership, they fixed an electronic sensor and ran it through emissions for me. I think it cost me about 500 bucks. I might just have to buy a new vehicle to get myself a trailer hitch for the weekend.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/15/2008, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Why yes it does, you can borrow it if you get the emissions fixed Smile

Catalytic converter. Take care of mother earth Tim. Smile
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
.................I might just have to buy a new vehicle to get myself a trailer hitch for the weekend.

U-Haul (or other places) can add a hitch for about $150.00 - that would presume that the vehicle on which it is installed is rated for the tongue weight and load that you require.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice Tim, I like it... I'll have to take you shopping with me when/if I go looking for a 2nd vehicle for fun stuff. Looks like you did Good!! I'm sure you'll find out what you need to get the emissons passed. I like that color too! Wished I could have found one in a color like that when I was shopping for one. Mine shows dirt so quickly and usually looks like I don't care for it.
Good job! Enjoy!!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Tom Treks wrote:
Not a bad deal, dude. Does it run rough? Why do you say it might not pass?

Runs good, starts right up, smooth through the rpm range.

I took it yesterday for emissions, thats why I know it didn't pass. NOX high and I think HC's. NOX was over double. 7.10 when the max is like 3.

Will mess with it this weekend.

So did you find anything? A couple of culprits that come to mind if the engine appears to be running "okay" are vacuum leaks which can kick the idle up higher than normal, a smooshed exhaust crossover pipe, a bad EGR valve or O2 sensor, and possibly a bad cat converter. Usually, the only time a cat converter goes bad is if there was problem with head gaskets and coolant was leaking into a cylinder or two, or if it got whacked reral hard and is broken up a bit inside. Sometimes tracking down a problem with emissions is like a needle in a haystack unless you have the right test equipment, or know common causes.

Good luck with it.
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does it have a EGR valve? $25 and easy to change, that could be the NOX problem. There is a rubber seal in there that dries out and leaks. EGR valve opens up and pulls gasses out of your exhaust at higher RPMs. It works on vacuum, so if your CTO switch is bad, a vacuum line is bad, or the EGR valve is bad the valve won't open.

To test the EGR valve, you can usually wrap your fingers around the back and push it in (manually open it). At idle, when you push it in the idle should stumble. Then rev the motor, as it revs, the valve should open.

As a ethical cheat, there are two canisters that can be bypassed (put a BB in the line). The charcol canister (looks like a coffee can) and the evaporation canister (plastic, same size as the other, has 4 lines going to it). They are often a source of vaccum leaks and do very little to help reduce emissions. I've always plugged them and still passed.

Or a real cheat, run your gas tank to near empty and pour a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol in the tank Laughing

Or take your air filter out (put it back in when you get home!).

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, checked the codes again today. Found out that there are two different spots to look. One being the check engine light, the other being the overdrive light.

The check engine light sent me back a 55 which is end of message meaning there is nothing wrong.

But the overdrive light sent me a 13 which is "MAP sensor pneumatic signal--no variation in MAP sensor signal is detected or no difference is recognized between the engine MAP reading and the stored barometric pressure reading"

I don't know if that has anything to do with emissions, but a new map sensor is only $75 or so from what I see online.

Any thoughts?

BTW- Bought my first Chiltons manual today - feels like I'm reading a second language.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen those Tim... and I'm in the same mindset you are.. A different language indeed. One day it will make sense to you, hopefully.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/19/2008, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MAP sensor controls a lot of things, including fuel mixture, and acts as the EGR valve on your truck. That note sounds like the sensor is not doing it's job, which could very well be your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: